It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS $elling out??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
When I got the U2U about the preview video for the new ATS 2010 I was excited to see it.

Then I waited through an advertisement and could hardly see the new site through the red of anger.

Then I read the replies and everyone was so excited, except they hate the green in the menus.

No one complained that they sold advertisement space on a preview of the new site.

This is a video to hype the new ATS website, yet they wanted to make money off of the preview.

You can also see many changing ads on the new site in the video.

Will we have to see and ad placed in front of any video we post on the new site?

Will we end up with ad banners below our avatars?

Is the new site designed for more ad space?

Is the purpose of ATS to discuss alternative topics, or is it all about the money?

Has ATS sold out to advertisers for money?

You tell me.

Here is the link:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Not sure how this ended up in the political madness spot.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Coming from the standpoint of a guy who has to run a few websites...I must remind you that it is expensive to do so.

If you know of a way to "keep ATS alive" without making a buck first, I beg you to share that info with me as well.

I mean, we can't ALL just make a free website and hope our "alien-magic-books" sell enough to support us all.

And we just can't all draw up some goofy space-ship designs and try to turn them into dollars.

ATS is a legitimate business...you got a problem with that, then you can go and check out some lesser sites that push garbage for a price.

While you are there, tell the Space-Pope I said "howdy".

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a0d7ac3ed6dc.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Of course they have to make money. I am not against that.

I see the ads daily on the site.

But to sell ad space on the preview video seems a little much. Don't you think?

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Not really a big deal, advertising is everywhere, it's "beneficial" when you can have sites like this funded due to advertising.

I learned to ignore it a long time ago, like when you watch a tv show that has banner adverts popping up in the corners, along the bottom etc.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
When I watched the video I didnt see an ad first, it starts off with 'new ATS homepage'

Of course it shows ads WITHIN the preview, because its showing what its GOING to look like, if you noticed they simply used a new template with the old threads et cetera, you can see all current titles and such, and current ads. As the illustrious mr Mask said takes money to keep a site up...

If you're stupid enough to click them its your prob, I just ignore the ads as best I can, only 2 that I ever despised: one smiley one that made annoying-ass automatic sounds (which they got rid of, far as I know) and this annoying ass "the 9mm wont save you" which is disgustingly disguised as a real ATS thread topic.

I dont care if its an ad. But trying to scam your members, thats just an insult to us all. Ads that pretend to be legit should be banned, in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
It would be good to put the thinking cap on for this one.
There are people associated with the revenue generated from this both up and downstream.
Individuals and families are supported by this industry, it provides.
There are production houses involved in ad creation, buyers, marketers, analysts, products, services, and all the expeditures associated.
Then factor in the the families and individuals spending their earnings within the market itself.
Until utopia is a reality and free energy and needs are met simply by a request, there will be occupations and opportunities created and participated in and such, like these.
There's always the option of conversion to a pay site yet I'm sure the din of the complaints would become a conspiracy of first ammendment suppression in and of itself.
It's the interaction and intelligence on the backend that's the payload here, the ads and revenue generated simply provide access to the conduit.
(add)
As large as this site is, coupled with its expansion, I'm sure it will provide opportunities for members to ply their wares as well.

[edit on 9-4-2010 by HappilyEverAfter]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I see the trend here.

Everyone is defending.

Again, ads have to pay for the site, understood, but...

A commercial playing before a commercial?

No one has a problem with that?

The video is an advertisement of the new site, yet you have to see a commercial to see the commercial.

No one sees this as greed, or as taking ads too far.

Sheeple we have become.

Programmed to accept the ads as a necessary evil no matter where they are or how many.

Next up a video ad before we get to see the site surrounded by ads.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by whattheh

Ok...maybe we are not being clear.

Ads = money.

Alls you need to do is sit through one...or don't.

Alls that really matters here is that ATS gets paid and the site remains up.

If that is too much work or hassle, you can always support ATS by spending your money instead of the few seconds you spent watching an ad.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
To be honest, the first thing that went through my mind when I saw the new layout was…
“Man, look at that huge add in the upper left side, that thing takes up almost half the screen real estate”… Then as they were scrolling down the page… “Oh look another add spot, and another, and another… Gawd its going to take an hour to switch from page to page on this new site.”

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Please add your concerns here : ATS Issues Thread

Closed.

top topics

join