posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:00 AM
Deforestation is the [n]permanent
destruction of indigenous forests and woodlands. In other words deforestation is clearing Earth's
forests on a massive scale, often resulting in damage to the quality of the land. Forests still cover about 30 percent of the world’s land area, but
swaths the size of Panama are lost each and every year.
How does it happen?
Deforestation is brought about by the following:
* Conversion of forests and woodlands to agricultural land
* Development of cash crops and over cattle ranching, both of which earn money for tropical countries;
* Commercial logging (which supplies the world market with woods such as teak, mahogany and ebony) destroys trees as well as opening up forests for
* Felling of trees for firewood and building material; the heavy lopping of foliage for fodder; and heavy browsing of saplings by domestic animals
Not all deforestation is intentional. Some is caused by a combination of human and natural factors like wildfires (a regular phenomenon is wildfires
we have been witnessing from past many years) and subsequent overgrazing, which may prevent the growth of young trees.
Deforestation has many negative effects on the environment. The most dramatic impact is a loss of habitat for millions of species. Approx. 70% of
Earth’s land animals and plants live in forests, and many cannot survive the deforestation that destroys their homes. It also is a big factor in
How to combat deforestation?
* Use wood efficiently and avoid over decorative stuff which uses lot of wood.
* Plant trees, if you even plant 1 tree which takes about 15-25 minutes every 3-4 or even 6 months it helps not only your surrounding but for other
people as well.