It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new kind of video tape!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I just thought of this a few moments ago....

A videotape that records everything that happens over a period of time using just mirrors. Think of it like this. If a photon takes time to travel, and it keeps bouncing between 2 mirrors, then if you zoom in far enough into the picture would you be able to see back in time?

Like in this image

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Gentill Abdulla

well the speed of light is 299,792,458 miles per second, so i think you would need a few trillion mirrors lined up to see back a tenth of a second.

edited to add: oops i just noticed you said 2 mirrors for some reason i was thinking of the image banking from mirror to mirror at say a 45degree angle.

interesting thought you have tho.

[edit on 4/8/2010 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

Actually the Speed of light is...

299,792,458 metres per second

or

186,000 miles per second

Semper

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

woops i thought that m stood for miles, my bad.

thank you for the correction sir.

(side note, i accidentally confused miles per second with miles per hour on my latest space thread, haha whats with me this week?)

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Nice thought except you would need a perfect mirror that had 0 defects to distort your data. Even if you get passed the problem containing the photon data patten, you would have a hard time reading your data without modifying it. As soon as you stuck your head into the photon mirror trap you change the data. Now if you hired a vampire. Joking aside, don't let my interruption stop your idea.

Your idea does sound like a few of the quantum physics experiments where they slow light down, quantum entangle of particles and such just on the small side of things.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

or

186,000 miles per second

Semper

Actually the speed of light is 299792.458 km/s (kilometers not meters)

[edit on 9-4-2010 by Max Devoe]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
LOL
no....... its 299,792 KM per second
or 299,792,458 Meter per second
Like the Mod said

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by freebourn
LOL
no....... its 299,792 KM per second
or 299,792,458 Meter per second
Like the Mod said

www.speed-light.info...

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   

The speed of light (usually denoted c) is a physical constant. It is the fastest speed at which energy or information can travel, and is only attained by massless particles and waves such as electromagnetic radiation (e.g. radio waves, visible light, or gamma rays) in vacuum, where there are no atoms, molecules or other types of matter that can slow it down. Its value is exactly 299,792,458 metres per second,[1][2] often approximated as 300,000 kilometres per second or 186,000 miles per second (see the table on the right for values in other units).

Speed of Light

Semper

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Alright first the speed of light is 186,000 miles per second. But that is not 100 percent accurate. Light travels slowly in different gasses. So speed of light on earth would be different than the speed of light in a vacuum, and different colors of light travel at different speeds on earth. But i think the camera would not work.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
How about one way mirrors? Would those still work? I've always thought about looking through one of those into another mirror in a small white room.

I have no idea what that would look like.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by patmac

The one way mirror would not work, i had a box made out of them for growing plants inside my house well it had all the sides with one way mirrors except for the top where the grow lights were., looked kinda strange but that was all.
With one way mirrors light escapes which is why you can see through on the other side.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max Devoe

Originally posted by semperfortis

or

186,000 miles per second

Semper

Actually the speed of light is 299792.458 km/s (kilometers not meters)

Umm, essentialy you guys are saying the same thing because 299,792,458 meters/second =299,792.458 km/second. 1km=1000m
I dont see why you guys are disagreeing with each other, lol.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
So could it be done. I really see no reason for this not to work.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
One month and still no answer?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Wouldn't the camera just see a reflection of itself in the mirrors? (Like your example does with the lady)

Also, how (why) would this be transferred to a medium like a video cassette tape? Or did you just mean a new way to record?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by adigregorio
Wouldn't the camera just see a reflection of itself in the mirrors? (Like your example does with the lady)

Also, how (why) would this be transferred to a medium like a video cassette tape? Or did you just mean a new way to record?

Yes, to both, new way to record.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gentill Abdulla

Okay, bear with me...

How is the "reflecting" aspect supposed to work, if all the camera can see is itself?

(Wouldn't it need an unobstructed view of said mirrors?)

Every time I try to use the two mirrors to see into the future, all I see is many myselfs looking back, all of them are laughing at me

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gentill Abdulla

Okay, bear with me...

How is the "reflecting" aspect supposed to work, if all the camera can see is itself?

(Wouldn't it need an unobstructed view of said mirrors?)

Every time I try to use the two mirrors to see into the future, all I see is many myselfs looking back, all of them are laughing at me

My fault I meant that the camera is above the mirrors. So when it zooms in it zooms in to whatever there was into the space between the 2 mirrors. This is due to the traveling of the photons.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Alright, I am getting closer to your page I think...

Where exactly is the lens of the camera focused?

(The exact space "centered" between the mirrors? IE Not pointing at a mirror.)

If this is the case, then wouldn't I be able to see into the future myself by omitting the camera lens for my eye?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join