It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman strangled to death go-karting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

news.ninemsn.com.au

A woman was strangled to death yesterday after her Islamic head dress became tangled in a go-kart axle.

The 27-year-old woman was holidaying with family at the Port Stephen's Go-Kart track on the NSW Central Coast when the freak accident occurred.

The Herald newspaper reports that the woman went into cardiac arrest after her hijab became caught at high speed and tightened around her neck.

Paramedics said the woman suffered severe neck injuries. She was flown to John Hunter Hospital in a critical condition but died a short time later.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Belgium moves to ban the burqa

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Another blow to anti-Muslim head-wear legislation. I can already hear the cries to ban these in Australia based on "safety issues".

Unfortunately the article does not call up all the statistics of people who have died for having long hair getting caught in machinery.

Part of me wonders how true the story actually is, maybe she did have long hair underneath there which got caught in the go-kart axle too?? Because you'd think that the hijab would just rip off right??

Mysterious....

news.ninemsn.com.au

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Nick_X

Interesting story but, to me it sounds a little too much like an urban legend. It has the gruesome death with bizarre circumstances and a moral to the story trying to warn against risky behavior.

Are there any other sources for the story, maybe naming names and not quite so obscure in the details?

Who knows, this might just be anti-burqa propaganda like you suggested in the OP.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nick_X

news.ninemsn.com.au

A woman was strangled to death yesterday after her Islamic head dress became tangled in a go-kart axle.

The 27-year-old woman was holidaying with family at the Port Stephen's Go-Kart track on the NSW Central Coast when the freak accident occurred.

The Herald newspaper reports that the woman went into cardiac arrest after her hijab became caught at high speed and tightened around her neck.

Paramedics said the woman suffered severe neck injuries. She was flown to John Hunter Hospital in a critical condition but died a short time later.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Belgium moves to ban the burqa

She had to pay the stupid tax!

Anyone that has ever worked around machinery knows:

1. No long hair
2. No LOOSE CLOTHING
3. No jewelry

Oh well. *snip* will say it was Allah's will. Yeah.

removed offensive name

[edit on 9-4-2010 by gallopinghordes]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Nine News is a reliable source.

The name can't be released until after relatives are notified, and there may be restrictions if she is under 18. Australian press has strict policies on information being given out about minors.

Give it a few days and we'll know her name.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

OK, I'll wait & see.

I see urban legend stories in the local MSM news every once and a while reported as real news. The stories are usually so over the top, you wonder how it could've gotten past the fact checkers. I even have an urban legends book to look up the stories and can often find them almost word for word as reported by the MSM source.

I'd be willing to bet this story is a variation of some urban legend or another.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
It is, unfortunately, a common enough occurrence that I believe it no longer falls under "urban legend". Back in Dec 09 it was an 18 yr old and a scarf.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Anything long and wrapped around the neck is dangerous near an open engine.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
dumb people get themselves killed here in america everyday but this is the first time i've ever heard of a death such as this.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

In the OP, the article states the female is 27 years of age.

Just so you know

A sad story indeed if it is true.

Maybe people will Learn to tie back what ever loose garments/ hair there is to avoid these calamities.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   

You'd lose your money then...
Video Link

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
From the Port Stephens Examiner

PORT Stephens Go-Karts has been forced to shut down following the death of a Sydney mother yesterday at its Bobs Farm complex.

The 26-year-old was riding one of the karts about 1.15pm when her hijab became entangled in the rear axle, crushing her windpipe.

It is understood her two children aged four and six years old have witnessed the incident along with her husband and her brother.

Ambulance officers worked to resuscitate the woman, however she was pronounced dead at 3.30pm at John Hunter Hospital.

Port Stephens crime manager Peter Fox said the kart the woman had been riding had been impounded by police for further investigation.

"It's very tragic to see a young family lose a mother," he said.

- Hardly an urban legend, I wish it was.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
There's nothing in the Koran forbidding go-karts? Color me shocked.

Exploding go-carts flying over the dunes.

Send in the Shriner defenses!!!

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Impounded by the police for examintation? Seems like code for blame the track owner instead of the person actually responsible. If he gets sued over this, he may, he's screwed. He allowd her to wear it and it killed her, yet if he wouldn't have allowed it, lawsuit for discrimination.......I guess they need to issue a fatwah against these evil machines......

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snappahead

You'd lose your money then...
Video Link

See, you guys shoulda took my bet. You could be a few bucks richer right now.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
It's not religion that's the problem, it's people who have this kind of thinking in your quote who also happen to be religious who are the problem.

[edit on 9-4-2010 by _Phoenix_]

Mod edit: Removed quoted text of previously removed post.

[edit on 4-9-2010 by chissler]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Religion and such notwithstanding, I have a question as a non-Australian.

If you are go-karting, shouldn't you be wearing a helmet? Here in the US I think that's generally the standing law.

I hope that doesn't sound like an obtuse or foolish question. Here in the States there are a lot of people who don't, so it's not really a comparison. It just seems like another tragic story that might have been avoided.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
You probably do have to wear a helmet, but she may have had it on over her headscarf as they seem to be made of pretty thin material. Either that or it was a stunt hijab...

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
This story is true.

The reason i believed this happened (apart from being bombarded by it on every channel here in OZ) is,my fiance was scalped by a go-cart 15 years ago.The scalp could not be saved and she had to undergo some pretty radical skin grafts.

[edit on 9-4-2010 by Cygnus_Hunter]

top topics

join