It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Spirit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Ponder these truths slowly,

Spirit.
What is a spirit? A spirit has no shape, no size, no color, no weight, does not consist of matter which in turn does not occupy space.These are all the things that spirit is not . However, what is spirit?

In the bible, John 4:24 states that God is a Spirit. Unless we know the meaning of the word spirit we are clueless as to what he said.Its as though he said that God is a nothing which tells us nothing at all.

In Genesis 1:26 God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: This is a good starting point to begin with, Our own spirit.The one we know best.The element in us by which we know and love, by which therefore we decide.Our body knows and loves and decides nothing.The body only reacts. It is the knowing mind that enjoys or dislikes these reactions.

Spirit has power too. It is the mind that splits the atom, The atom can not split the mind.The atom cannot even split itself. The mind uses the body not asking the bodies consent.The mind is the principal, the body the instrument.The body is essential. The mind must use it to cope with matter. Example: the raising of your arm. This is a very complicated anatomical activity however it is set in motion by a decicion of the will.

In conclusion spirit produces what matter cannot.One of the particular things that spirit also does is that it produces ideas. some will argue that there are changes in the brain when we think,grooves or electrical discharges or what not.But theses only accompany the thought and are not the thought.Our ideas are not material.They have no resemblance tour body.There resembalance is to our spirit.

If we are continuously producing things which have no attribute of matter, it seems reasonable to conclude that there is in us some element which is not matter to produce them.this element I call spirit. All theories welcome

Mods please put where you think best

[edit on 8-4-2010 by oliveoil]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I've struggled over this question for many decades and I'm still no closer to the truth.

A related question is: Is consciousness a product of the brain, or something somehow inherent in the structure of the universe itself? There are compelling arguments on both sides: Consciousness as an emergent property of the brain, versus the way consciousness seems eerily tied in with some quantum-level phenomenon. I think the nature of spirit faces a similar question: Is it something within us as seperate beings, or is it an interconnected force that spans the whole fabric of the universe? I kind of lean to the latter intuitively, but its hard to say.

I also like some aspects of the so-called Yogacara theories of Asia...under some versions of this, the whole division between "inner" and "outer" collapses at a fundamental level so that the question becomes meaningless. Perhaps this is where the answer is most likely to be found.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Spirit is the voice of god within you that talks to your heart and tells you right from wrong.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby
Spirit is the voice of god within you that talks to your heart and tells you right from wrong.

I've heard similar explanataions given as examples of the functioning of the Christian Holy Spirit. Would you say this is the same thing as what people mean when they talk about an individual's "own" spirit, or would you posit some kind of difference between the two?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I believe there are two types of spirit. One from God that is holy and one from Satan that is unholy. One or the other lives within us...

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Spirit is belief, God is all believes.
Truth is all believes.
God can live in his own being because in his
own beliefsystems he can believe himself to be.
Truth can not exist without reflected in itself.

Every belief that is only reflecting a part of
that whole truth is actually a part lie,
and is when used not to grow in this world of 'lies',
a demon.

Every holy book states hidden that god is one,
and ALONE, meaning gods spirit is all.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Here's what i have learned about the holy spirit which I know is active in every souls lives whther they know it or not. It's called grace. Grace is infused into our soul, like an infusion. Called love.

Ok I had a friend growing up. He got kicks out of punching his dog in the face, cruely with a smirk and laughing afterwards.

That is lack of grace in the soul. He had no conscience.

A homeless guy walks down the street. One gang of pedestrians coach him across the street. Another gang of juveniles woop his butt for fun.

That right there his why Christ came to Earth. That his the holy spirit working in people. We don't see it in our spirit but we know love is a reailty and evil is a reality.

IMO animals, well actually, the doctors of the church said animals don't have a soul. They run on a specific instinct and grace. They can't have the ability to chose right from wrong, they go accroding to natural instinct.

We as huamns have something specific in our souls to learn, chose, and go against instict and grow and build the world around us.

But to the core of the OP. I can't define exactly what the soul is, it's inside our body that's all I know.

peace.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
soul is the question mark,
its called mercy,

a question leaves space, when its developed enough it leaves you hope,
when it develops even more it makes you equal.

soul is the logic of oneness,
its called wisdom,

but it only comes after regrets.

top topics

join