It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

200 feared dead in Brazil slum mudslide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

200 feared dead in Brazil slum mudslide

www.msnbc.msn.com

NITEROI, Brazil - They are all gone. The Evangelical church where worshippers were praying. A daycare center where kids were playing. The pizza parlor where a family was eating.

All were buried under a mountain of mud, garbage and stone when yet another landslide hit metropolitan Rio de Janeiro late Wednesday. This one swept through the Morro Bumba slum, engulfing as many as 200 people and 60 homes. Nothing was left behind but a massive crater of blackened, sodden earth and the remnants of flimsy brick shacks.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Imagine that eating pizza outside with friends and family and outta nowhere a mudslide. Hopefully they can find some survivors trapped in all that mud, dirt, and debris. But from what the article states it was an "Instant Death"

Truly sad when children are involved. And the mother who just picked up her child was truly lucky to get there at the time she did. She might of lost her home but she still gots her son.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
No surprise that this is not making U.S. news.

Thanks much for letting us know. A terrible trajedy.

Reminds me of when Hurricane Stan hit Central America a few years ago. Hardly any reporting outside of their immediate area. An entire village was buried by a mudslide...... a mountainslide. Number of deaths unknown (at least to me) to this day.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

And people still think an all powerful "God" exists.

What all powerful "God" would let this tragedy happen?

*sigh*

All i have to say is, Dome Homes.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Quickfix

The same all powerful God who takes his people out of this world, so they no longer have to suffer anymore, and deal with the suffering.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

There can be heaven on earth or hell, it is whatever the person makes their own life out to be.

If God has a purpose for everyone, why not give the children a purpose, besides being shown on the news about a mudslide....

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Their purpose my friend, was to let other's know how precious a gift, our life truly is, and how quickly it can be snatched away when we least expect it. As I'm sure no one who lost their life in this horrible catastrophe woke up this morning thinking they would be dead by the evening. It is a tragedy, but one which we can learn from, and be ready for the day when our life will be over, regardless of who you are, what you do, or how much you cherish your life, one end come's to us all.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
when you atheists have a near death experience you'll probably start to believe theres a god up there somewhere... everything happens for a reason, and there is a higher force that controls everything...

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by freetree64

Their purpose my friend, was to let other's know how precious a gift, our life truly is, and how quickly it can be snatched away when we least expect it. As I'm sure no one who lost their life in this horrible catastrophe woke up this morning thinking they would be dead by the evening. It is a tragedy, but one which we can learn from, and be ready for the day when our life will be over, regardless of who you are, what you do, or how much you cherish your life, one end come's to us all.

That is the 100% Truth and I agree with you. We are always and always will be at risk of death, only because we do not know when our time is up.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Video from AP News...

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 8-4-2010 by freetree64]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quickfix
reply to post by Oozii

And people still think an all powerful "God" exists.

What all powerful "God" would let this tragedy happen?

*sigh*

All i have to say is, Dome Homes.

What on earth does this have to do with the presence of ONE or abscence. By the way, since the truth is we are living in an infinite universe that streams in from zero point, not a big bang, and that they already found the "ugly" infinity in the vacuum, and had to tidy it up to the finite in their studies, wherein more energy was in one cubic centimeter than in all known space going back to this supposed Big Bang moment, I have some knews for you.

Instead of asking faithful why would they be following a God, who allows this, understand you live in a binary system, possibly a digital program, university school that is streamed in by "the many in one" as in an infinity there is no one.

And thats your Higher Self by the way, all of ours, in this universe. And in this duality, all sorts of things happen, they're all alive and well, despite all coding that tptb do with the religions, because it was only the meanings of their heart that truly counted.

My question is, is there any evidence this was natural or manmade, I really am highly suspicious of the stuff going on.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Apparently the buildings were built in an old landfill, and that may have contributed to the earth being unstable with the recent rains... according to the reporter on the video I just posted...

[edit on 8-4-2010 by freetree64]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

In the end it is both.

Man could have prevented such things with proper application of technology and wisdom.

God on his magical cloud could have come down to save them.

Life is precious, yes, I don't need to be reminded by a natural disaster and children dying. Human beings die everyday not due to natural disaster.

Dome homes can withstand mudslides and are cheaper then conventional wooden homes. They are also cheaper to Insure, but the availability in certain area's of the world, I haven't a clue. Due to poverty and lack of Technology.

I challenge all of the religious people to something. Let me take out a whip and strike your back. Then if you call upon God, I shall strike no more till he appears.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by Quickfix]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Concrete/gunite/shotcrete geodesic? Definately not cheaper than wood, even if the pneumatic pressure hoses are available. Cant tell from the video very precisely how many tons of material came down, but these kind of landslides are famous for not only burying structures, but also wiping them away completely.

Agree with you that domes can be far more resistant to stresses, particularly windloads and lateral stresses, such as earthquake and the like.

I'm reminded once again of Haiti, who suffers greatly every year (it seems like) from tropical storms that I might not even stay home from work for if the same strength hit here. There's such a poor standard of living and construction everywhere, and the bottom line is sometimes that people have to live wherever they can, even knowing the structure is vulnerable.

Regarding the "God talk"...... I understand everyone's point of view as stated, however I don't find the aftermath of any disaster to be a very sound place to contemplate or debate the veracity of dieties. JMO.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

The video I watched was old and I got my facts from the guys that first discovered the method in Italy, Texas. The video is a VHS tape, so i am sure the money #'s have changed since then.

Yeah, people have to work with what they have, and most of the time living conditions are not inspected by General Contractors.

About the God talk, I'll just not get into it, everyone has their opinions, lets just leave it at that. I got into it cause a Church was wiped out.

edited for spelling

[edit on 8-4-2010 by Quickfix]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   

About the God talk, I'll just not get into it, everyone has their opinions, lets just leave it at that. I got into it cause a Church was wiped out

I understand, and I hope you don't feel that I was racking on you...... just conversation, you know?

When Hurricane Paloma kicked our butts here in the Cayman Islands in Nov. of '08, nearly all the churches were badly damaged; two of them were destroyed completely, and the bars fared much better. What should people make of such an occurrance? I have no answer. It was particularly poignant here, as we have about 15 churches, one synagogue, and only 1400 people living here.

Some said that it was a devine reckoning, some believed it was a veiled message from God to straighten up, others pointed out that we're entering into a time where we're all going to have to tighten our belts a lot, and nobody was killed, and the churches and synagogue were all rebuilt stronger than before for a time when we might not be able to afford to do so.

In the final analysis, I think those are conventions of people and have little bearing on the musings of any dieties, if in fact they are aware of all the little ants scurrying on the surface of the Earth, or if they even exist.

I did some structural studies in the San Francisco area after the Loma Prieta earthquake, and the gunite/shotcrete buildings fared VERY well -- they were able to shift and flex without failure, unlike conventional concrete structures. Many of them close to the epicenter near Santa Cruz didn't even have sheetrock cracks inside. Generally, if concrete flexes, it cracks or fails. So, yes, I fully support your dome ideas and agree that they are often far superior to other buildings. It's just a factor of money and equipment. You were also quite right about another thing: Masonry buildings are generally cheaper to insure, at least in communities that can afford insurance.

Thanks for the input and conversation. Sorry if I sounded like a dick.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

You didn't sound like one at all

Maybe some other posters do, trying to burn my opinions and facts.

It always comes down to the money. Always.

The mud slide was just bad luck.

I believe there is some sort of Deity out there, but who is to say anyone knows for certain? It is all faith based, which has no standing in the court of law.

And the God most people are thinking about, is the God the Free Masons created, the Bible.

To look upon God, you will be blinded by his glory! Sounds awfully familiar to the sun. Which the Masons worship.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
i made a thread in Fragile Earth yesterday, but I mentioned Pedro Regis. I read about him on ATS, actually. He was on the money about shaking in Chile 5 months before it happened, and spoke of "land of the mountains" which is the country name of Haiti.

Well, a month ago (03/06/10), he said this, "Those who dwell in a great city in Brazil will live moments of great tribulations. " Could it mean this, I do not know. He's from Brazil, too. It's just interesting. He gets his messages from the Virgin Mary.

new topics

top topics

join