It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is going on at Cerro Prieto Volcano?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dannikilla13

I am not sure - maybe, maybe not - maybe a better desciptive word would be contributing! - if area is unstable to begin with -pressurizing it IMO is a very, very bad thing to do! How do we refer to it - Tapping on a hornets nest

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anmarie96
reply to post by dannikilla13

I am not sure - maybe, maybe not - maybe a better desciptive word would be contributing! - if area is unstable to begin with -pressurizing it IMO is a very, very bad thing to do! How do we refer to it - Tapping on a hornets nest

This is where I agree with you the most.

I think puterman is correct to say that these have been tectonic quakes. Absolutely. I think that what we are tying to point out with this thread is that perhaps these tectonic quakes are being influenced by something, and the fact that this geothermal plant and volcano are being completely ignored in any of the public reports makes it even more.....tempting to theorize as to the how/why.

OFcourse that area is going to be very geologically active....that is why it produces so much geothermal energy. The very plain FACT is that it has suddenly become a swarm of intense activity that is obviously originating near this geothermal hot spot and going right up the fault line.

Let me again quote a couple of key points (IMO) taken from an external report:

The heat source for the volcano is thought to be a magma body at a depth of 5–6 km. There is a significant correlation between increases of sustained fluid extraction at the field and earthquakes, with delays of about 1 yr.
LINK (most of the quakes in this swarm are around this depth)

: "I took a GPS reading at the visitor center of 32°25.148'N /115°13.437W, and this morning's earthquake was centered at 32°21.36'N /115°14.76W, a distance of about 4 miles to the southwest, which would put it right at the center of the powerplant, although 3.7 miles down. I wonder if they had any disruption (plus or minus) in their steam generation!"
link (This proves there is a history of quakes directly beneath the geothermal plant)

Cerro Prieto is a 223 m (732 ft) isolated, inactive volcano found near Mexicali, Mexico (Baja) that rises prominently from the surrounding agricultural fields. It lies on the northwest-striking Cerro Prieto fault. Along with the San Andreas and Imperial faults to the north, Baja represents a transition region between the sliding San Andreas Fault and the crustal opening along the East Pacific Rise, extending stepwise down the length of the Sea of Cortex.
link (This is rare in that a volcano that sits at an 'intersection' of faults...which is why we think this is so important)

Cucupas Indian legends described a monster that covered the land with hot rocks, which grew through the soil and emitted fire tongues, a possible reference to the growth of the volcano.
link (This is thought to have been about 10,000 years ago)

So to sum all this up, I think that we are only suggesting that there are a lot forces at play here and we hope that the USGS and whatever other appropriate agencies are looking into it. (I'll assume they are
)

My greatest concern is that perhaps there was a geological time bomb that may have been triggered (or helped along) with the geothermal extraction that could have the potential of a domino affect up the fault lines. Add to that all the other tectonic activity in the world right now causing stress and then throw in the solar flares and possible influences and THEN all the volcanic activity....well.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
This one is deep

Magnitude 4.0
Date-Time Friday, April 09, 2010 at 20:53:26 UTC
Friday, April 09, 2010 at 01:53:26 PM at epicenter

Location 32.303°N, 115.352°W
Depth 33.3 km (20.7 miles)
Region BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO
Distances 23 km (14 miles) W (274°) from Guadalupe Victoria, Baja California, Mexico
40 km (25 miles) SSE (164°) from Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico
44 km (27 miles) SSE (162°) from Calexico, CA
159 km (99 miles) E (99°) from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 2.2 km (1.4 miles); depth +/- 8 km (5.0 miles)
Parameters Nph= 18, Dmin=56 km, Rmss=0.16 sec, Gp=241°,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=2
Source California Integrated Seismic Net:
USGS Caltech CGS UCB UCSD UNR

Event ID ci10594757

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Great thread! Have you looked into earthquake activity caused by other geothermal plants. I found a link that was posted by Dr. Dodge on another thread:
www.swissinfo.ch...
And here's another one:
www.popsci.com...
Maybe 'playing with fire' is playing with water too.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
EDIT: Down grade to 4.7

Magnitude 5.0
Date-Time Friday, April 09, 2010 at 23:05:41 UTC
Friday, April 09, 2010 at 04:05:41 PM at epicenter

Location 32.164°N, 115.247°W
Depth 30.1 km (18.7 miles)
Region BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO
Distances 19 km (12 miles) SW (223°) from Guadalupe Victoria, Baja California, Mexico
55 km (34 miles) SW (233°) from San Luis Río Colorado, Sonora, Mexico
58 km (36 miles) SSE (159°) from Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico
171 km (106 miles) ESE (103°) from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 2.6 km (1.6 miles); depth +/- 0.8 km (0.5 miles)
Parameters Nph= 16, Dmin=68 km, Rmss=0.25 sec, Gp=252°,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=1
Source California Integrated Seismic Net:
USGS Caltech CGS UCB UCSD UNR

Event ID ci10595133

[edit on 9-4-2010 by Anmarie96]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
So I found what I think is an on-line newspaper for the area. Unfortunately, I don't know any spanish. Is there anyone here that could read it and possibly do some searching for any local info about the quakes and the geothermal fields?

lacronica newspaper

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Good evening Westcoast. My daughter knows some Spanish, but she is not here right now. I will see if she can translate it when she gets home. A thought crossed my mind (scary isn't it) anyway, I am wondering what if anything may have happened at the plant last year around this time. According to the sources posted previously, it appears there is a delay of around a year (I don't grasp this yet). Could something large have happened last year at this time? Was there an large call for more energy? or a accident? or a experiment? Or did they step things up a bit and this current situation is just the beginning? This time delay thought - I don't like it and would feel much better if I understood it - accordingly - on goes the search to figure out what is going on here!

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Translation of westcoast's la cronica link: here goes...i am by no means fluent

A tremor of 5. 1 on the richter scale has been registered some minutes ago in the region 'cual tivo' being the epicentre in the village of guadalupe Victoria in the valley of Mexicali

I struggled with cual tivo' - must be a place name ?

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
So I found what I think is an on-line newspaper for the area. Unfortunately, I don't know any spanish. Is there anyone here that could read it and possibly do some searching for any local info about the quakes and the geothermal fields?

lacronica newspaper

have you tired google translator? ill give ya all a link

translate.google.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by zachi

um - so - Zachi- your link above to the Swiss article - I did some research on the company to see what became of the project you will not believe this -I don't know how to highlight and post but this is a portion:

The project designer and geologist, Markus Haering, has been charged with property damage and will stand trial in a Basel court next week. He could get up to five years in prison. Geopower has paid about $9 million in compensation for cracked walls and similar damage on buildings in the city.

Here is a link to the full article.

OKAY - now with that being said - I appears to me that the Swiss also agree that it is bad to tap a hornets nest

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

You have really stumbled onto something here. This proves the effects of drilling causing the earthquakes. Good find. So whats your thoughts? Have they continued drilling anyway, ignoring the dangers?

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by kennylee

Thank you - and all off you for helping! According to the Article, the area above posted was shut down. They were going to try less active places to proceed- - -

My thoughts on this - keep getting stronger by every article I am reading. This energy plant should definitely not be operation on this volcano on a major fault line that has the potential to destroy all the major city's in California and - maybe trigger the Juan de Fuca plate - the whole thought - is just too large - - Growing up, I had heard people say - California is going to break off an fall into the Ocean. Now of course we know better than that - but - - - maybe portions of it - the west coast - could become an Island (not you Westcoast - that's a whole other issue) if the whole fault were to give way - I don't know - that is a little extreme - but you get the idea of what I am saying

[edit on 9-4-2010 by Anmarie96]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

No, thank you for all your work in this area. I have followed all your posts in the yellowstone thread, quake watch, volcano watch and now here.

Do you think that they actually stopped drilling? We are talking about lots of money in their pockets. All this activity could wake up the dormant volcano also IMO. I think its more than likely.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
In some of those papers I posted earlier, they spoke about plans to drill a 'deep well', about 6 km below the surface, to tap into the magma chamber. Now that paper was written some time ago and I so far have not found any info on if/when they did in fact do this drilling.

The last big quake in that area was, I think (trying to remember without looking) in Feb of 2008. I 5 point something or other. I think it would definately be interesting to see if a connection to that quake and this last one could be made. Perhaps they DID drill, causing that 5 quake in 2008 and the subsequent 'flushing' led to something bigger? I'm just throwing this out there as I think, so please, no one take this as a serious statement. There seem to be some watchdogs out there, so we could probably dig up the info if we look hard enough.

EDIT to add:

I just found this statement:

There definitely was a geyser at Cerro Prieto which erupted for several months, reaching heights of approx 10 meters, circa 1991. Photos are posted in the Comision Federal Electricidad (CFE) Visitor Center at Cerro Prieto and I'm sure there's plenty of documentation there on it. I will dig for the e-mail addresses of the geologist who showed me the site as well as the field engineer who toured our group through the area. They also tell of major geyser activity in the 1890's, all of which is to be expected from such a major geothermal field (2nd largest in the world) over a near-surface spreading center.

link

Note the comment that it is the 2nd largest geothermal field in the world.

[edit on 9-4-2010 by westcoast]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by kennylee

:-) I edited above on my thoughts - please read above Zachi's first link on the Swiss issue -

Here is a portion of what it says:

To shelve the project now would be extremely costly as some SFr56 million ($45 million) of the SFr80 million ($64.7 million) budget has already been spent.

So, Not only was it shelved - there was the lawsuit

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by kennylee

No, thank you for all your work in this area. I have followed all your posts in the yellowstone thread, quake watch, volcano watch and now here.

Do you think that they actually stopped drilling? We are talking about lots of money in their pockets. All this activity could wake up the dormant volcano also IMO. I think its more than likely.

Just want to make sure this article in question is referring to a different geothermal plant than the one in Mexico.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Here u go:
"California Groundwater Disappears: Satellites Show Equivalent of Lake Mead Gone from Central Valley Aquifer'

Get in touch with this guy---->Website: www.ddimick.com...

ddimick.typepad.com... ley-aquifer.html

hope i did this right

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Have you guys checked to see whether the quakes in the region are volcanic or tectonic, I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that there is a way to tell on the type of quake by the wave created during the quake ?

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

lol - just to throw my 2 cents in, I read it this way:

Do you think that they actually stopped drilling? We are talking about lots of money in their pockets.

All this activity could wake up the dormant volcano also IMO. I think its more than likely.

You will have to teach me how to do the hightlight thing - I did i a few times - on accident of course

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

MAP 2.0 2010/04/10 00:43:15 32.580 -115.736 5.6 24 km ( 15 mi) S of Seeley, CA
MAP 2.1 2010/04/10 00:40:16 32.595 -115.603 0.7 14 km ( 8 mi) SW of Calexico, CA
MAP 1.7 2010/04/10 00:38:44 32.651 -115.751 5.1 17 km ( 10 mi) SSW of Seeley, CA
MAP 2.5 2010/04/10 00:34:43 32.222 -115.381 0.4 27 km ( 17 mi) WSW of Guadalupe Victoria, Mexico
MAP 2.8 2010/04/10 00:28:08 32.222 -115.317 31.2 21 km ( 13 mi) WSW of Guadalupe Victoria, Mexico
MAP 2.2 2010/04/10 00:23:28 32.695 -115.811 2.0 16 km ( 10 mi) SW of Seeley, CA
MAP 2.9 2010/04/10 00:17:38 32.306 -115.326 6.8 20 km ( 13 mi) W of Guadalupe Victoria, Mexico
MAP 1.9 2010/04/10 00:04:44 32.707 -115.884 1.4 11 km ( 7 mi) ESE of Ocotillo, CA

Is this normal ???

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join