It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is going on at Cerro Prieto Volcano?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Okay - I gotta get some rest for the next few short hours - - BobAthome - just so you know because you are new here - and they are going to change everything within then next few weeks to bigger and better - anyway - for now - if you make a post and it is short and not to much time or posts have passed - hit the edit key in your post - it will bring you back to your original post to add onto - that is why you sometimes see edit after posts - it is also a note to re read the post for updates, alterations and error fixes and such -- ok good night all

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

good night - sleep well

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Thanks and see you soon ! Most fascinating stuff.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by CestLaVie
reply to post by berkeleygal

Someone got a picture whee one of the fountains came up !
www.ireport.com...

Now this I find very interesting! Considering there is a geothermal plant next to this dormant volcano that happens to sit on the fault where this massive quake and swarm is coming from!

What I would like to know is where exactly this water welled up from, and was it warm?

Okay, I just went to virtual earth and did some looking. I am more and more convinced that this is all about that geothermal plant. Zoom in on it and you can clearly look into the crater and at the geothermal 'lake' and the power plant. You can see where the water comes out from it and spreads into the surrounding cities and to other plants. I followed one such 'trail' and guess where it led? A few miles away to the town of Nuevo Leon, the one mentioned in the above linked article.....the one with the cracks in the ground that water welled up out of.

SOMETHING is going on there. The fact that you hear or see NOTHING about it in any of the related EQ reports is extremely suspicous. This should be all over the news.

NO, it does not look like it is a large volcano, but there is still a magma chamber sitting under it (just 5-6 Km below the surface). They already linked the geothermal use being related to EQ's. That water fuels over 80% of Baja's power supply. It sits at the juncture of faults that could/would have a major impact on America if something significant happened.

I would like to know what is really going on with it.

AnnMarie, are you going to write to the USGS and ask some of these questions? I really think someone needs to!

[edit on 9-4-2010 by westcoast]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I posted this earlier

The residents of Ejido Oaxaca, located south of the Cerro Prieto geothermal fields, spoke of volcanoes of water that erupted on their streets and inside their homes. The area is one of intense seismic activity, but most of the quakes have been small, and no one expected one of such magnitude. As the earth shook Sunday, the water gushed through cracks in geysers of warm, rust-colored water.
www.signonsandiego.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
The more I dig the more I find. I might be onto something that would explain the possible media blackout. Politics.

I found this interesting letter that was sent to Congressman Bill Filner in Feb of 2009. It is titled: "Cerro Prieto Geothermal Plant & Chemicals from Hell - RPT#37"

Here are a couple of exerpts:

• On the north side of the geothermal plant is used as a neighborhood municipal land fill and south of the Pacific Canal. Land fill is where the ground has sunk;

• You stand by one of these geothermal wells (called #200) that emanating gases (pollutants) are released into the air makes you sick giving you a big massive headache and the feeling of nausea after being there a short time. There are 158 working wells like wells number #200. This one well was built in 1978 and it is one of the more reliable wells for CFE situated on privately owned land;

• It is estimated over 5,000 people have cancer in the Mexicali Valley. The Per Capital for cancer is one of the highest in Mexico. Chemicals radon, arsenic, lithium, cadmium, sulfuric acid, ammonia used or found at the geothermal field is known to cause cancer and other health problems, see link [5], [6] & [7];
• Benzene causes leukemia (cancer);
• Mercury vaporized is a cause for neurological disorder such as muscle tremor;
• I am told of stories of miscarriages by the locals around Cerro Prieto CFE plant. Spots on the skin, allergies, severe pain, headaches, chronic bronchial problems, anencephaly (a neurological disorder), motor disabilities at birth, deafness, and kidney disease;

HERE IS THE POLITICAL TIE_IN:

ELECTRICITY SOLD TO THE UNITED STATES

It was announced that the City of Los Angeles has agreed to buy 100 mega watts from CFE’ Cerro Prieto geothermal plant, see link [9]. City of Los Angeles goes GREEN with renewable energy to reduce carbon emissions while Cerro Prieto goes BROWN with it’s chemicals from hell. As the demand comes from the United States for GREEN the causalities from health problems toll goes up for BROWN. I am told the electrical export figure is higher than 100 mega watts as previously announced by those in the know. This practice has been going on for 25 years with the City of Los Angeles in lesser amounts of mega watts.

Anyone with any interest in this needs to read this whole document HERE

This supplies many more peices to this puzzle. I smell a very big rat.

EDIT to add: Another interesting paper. This one is on deep well drilling (6 km) and the possible benefits/impacts. It supplies some maps and diagrams of the plant/geothermal field and faults. It is older, but still relevant. I will look to see if this drilling was done....or maybe was/is underway????

EDIT TO ADD YET ANOTHER ARTICLE:

Article with more maps and pictures/info

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   

One of the final disadvantages of geothermal energy is the likelihood of recurring earthquakes. People who live in areas of production report that there is an increasing number of earthquakes in the area. Although they are low-level quakes no stronger than magnitude 4, they are damaging homes and foundations.

There are many disadvantages of geothermal energy. Proper locations are difficult to find and sometimes they run out of steam. The method of extraction can also release hazardous minerals and gases that are difficult to dispose of properly. It can even cause recurring earthquakes in the surrounding areas.

www.associatedcontent.com...

I have read where people say that it was steam rising from the mountains instead of dust. Posted it earlier. I want to find out more about that. Thoughts anyone?

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

There are standing rigs evident on Google Earth. If the images are recent, drilling is ongoing. (+32° 25' 15.53", -115° 18' 7.15") Must be soft material. I don't see any mudpits next to the rigs? Sandstone, siltstone?

You might find some ideas of what to look for if you look into the earthquakes in the Denver area caused by drilling and blasting underground. That was some time ago, I don't remember the years. Pre 90's I think.

Great job by the way to you and the OP. Very interesting stuff here.

By the way, I think the problem some are having with Google is that Baja California is a state of Mexico. To search - Cerro Prieto, Baja California, Mexico -

In noticed a couple of the links did not have complete locations and went to other places.

[edit on 4/9/2010 by Blaine91555]

[edit on 4/9/2010 by Blaine91555]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
This is old news but relevant I think.

4.2 Quake Rocks Area Around Geothermal Plant Scientists have been tracking increases in seismic activity since the facility began generating electricity in the 1960s.

A magnitude 4.2 earthquake centered at a geothermal field near Clear Lake in Northern California on Tuesday highlights the increased seismic activity that has occurred since officials began generating electric power from steam heated by magma underneath the area.

The quake at 9:50 a.m. at the Geysers was the strongest at the geothermal field this year. It was the eighth quake of magnitude 4 or higher since power generation began at the site north of Santa Rosa in the 1960s.

articles.latimes.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by atzmaz

www.flickr.com...@N00/sets/72157623687999365/

I can't wrap my mind arround a force 7+ shake as beeing man made. Causing shakes yes any time, but ripping the earth open along a pre existing fault line? I think I go with this one with Puterman, and see this event as tectonic.
If there are plates moving way from each other, there will be vulcanic activity as has been before, but that aktivity fills more or less a gap, not a lot of force needed for the magma to reach the surface.

As for the mountains, I see dust in the pictures. The rocky mountains may have conveyed the shakes different than a soft composite valley floor.
In those pictures I can see as well rips in the road, were the earth moved a feet or two.
Another point for tectonic movement.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
PDF article

"Land subsidence caused by the East Mesa geothermal field, California, observed using SAR interferometry"

From
Geophysical Research Letters, Vol. 24, No. 8, Pages 901 to 904, April 15, 1997

Just doing research... someone may find this usefull

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal

I have read where people say that it was steam rising from the mountains instead of dust. Posted it earlier. I want to find out more about that. Thoughts anyone?

I Hope for the sake of everybody their that it isn't steam,
The kettle steams before it boils.
Im scared just because all the swarm happened along the same line.
Ahhhhh

This is tooooo much to think about. The implacations for this incredible increased amount of volcanic activity are huge! People need to prepare now

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Well, I'm not trying to freak anybody out or anything, but I remember watching a special on TV years ago (probably on the Discovery Channel or the History Channel or something like that) that was discussing "The Bible Code" book.

Now, I am not a religious freak or a religious zealot or anything, (in fact, I'm not even religious!), but I've always been very interested in prophecies of all sorts, and this one really stuck in my mind, because supposedly, the Bible Code predicts a major quake happening in LA in either 2010 or 2012...I can't remember the date. But I will try to find out.

I remember thinking that I should definitely NOT plan on visiting Cali that year. Now, if I could just remember what year it was...

Edit to add:

FOUND it! It's 2010....

This is what the Bible Code message says:

"Crossing "great earthquake," right below "L.A. Calif.," is the year 2010. And the same year, "5770" in the Hebrew calendar, is encoded again with the name of the city, actually overlapping "fire, earthquake.

I didn't remember the "fire" part, but hmmmm.....fire and earthquake could also mean volcano, I suppose.

Another source:

www.halexandria.org...

In every vision of the Apocalypse, the final blow is a massive earthquake. According to Drosnin, “The code seems to warn that over the next hundred years there will be a series of “great earthquakes” around the world. Two future years are clearly encoded with “the great terror”: 2014, and 2113. The latter year is the best match.” “The bible code seems to predict that the big earthquake will hit Los Angeles in 2010.” China is likely to suffer a major earthquake in 2000, and possibly again in 2006. Japan has the same dates (after a string of successful predictions), and appears with Israel with the two Biblical statements of the “End of Days”; even “final battle”. “Economic collapse” is encoded once in the code, along with 1929 and “earthquake struck Japan.”

[edit on 9-4-2010 by nikiano]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Tick tock tick tock,,,now the important part who has the power and authority to pull the right people together and present these facts to a higher level, we have to get serious people its time to call in favours and stick some necks out,

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Oh and yes wasn't there an entire lake that just disappeared the other day,, something about a U.N connection.
Well thats it i'm done for a while good luck.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Good Morning, I see you all were very busy! Yes, today I will write to the USGS. There is the list of quakes in the area above 3 since my last post - to save space and because they are more important

MAP 3.6 2010/04/09 11:59:01 32.564 -115.742 3.7 26 km ( 16 mi) S of Seeley, CA
MAP 3.5 2010/04/09 11:58:41 32.566 -115.774 2.5 26 km ( 16 mi) SSW of Seeley, CA
MAP 3.0 2010/04/09 10:11:37 32.111 -115.329 7.8 29 km ( 18 mi) SW of Guadalupe Victoria, Mexico
MAP 3.2 2010/04/09 10:09:03 32.349 -115.380 0.0 26 km ( 16 mi) WNW of Guadalupe Victoria, Mexico
MAP 3.0 2010/04/09 08:50:34 32.327 -115.445 17.7 32 km ( 20 mi) W of Guadalupe Victoria, Mexico
MAP 3.7 2010/04/09 07:47:30 32.300 -115.423 14.8 29 km ( 18 mi) W of Guadalupe Victoria, Mexico
MAP 3.2 2010/04/09 07:39:29 32.474 -116.127 5.5 17 km ( 11 mi) SSE of Jacumba Hot Springs, CA
MAP 3.0 2010/04/09 07:24:34 32.188 -115.024 0.1 14 km ( 9 mi) SE of Guadalupe Victoria, Mexico
MAP 3.4 2010/04/09 06:51:43 32.153 -115.072 16.6 16 km ( 10 mi) SSE of Guadalupe Victoria, Mexico
MAP 4.2 2010/04/09 05:32:14 32.202 -115.307 32.2 21 km ( 13 mi) WSW of Guadalupe Victoria, Mexico
MAP 3.2 2010/04/09 04:34:40 32.818 -116.008 13.7 9 km ( 5 mi) N of Ocotillo, CA

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
lots of vulcans become active this year... mnt etna italy...
last month atleast 4 EQ's hit on the feet of TOBA...all 4+
latest
MAP 4.4 2010/04/09 06:29:38 1.915 99.157 35.0 NORTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA

[edit on 9-4-2010 by ressiv]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Westcoast - Most excellent links!!! I smell that Rat too!!!! In a Very Big Way!!! Do you Folks realize how HUGE this is??? I am having difficulty completely grasping this whole concept!!! There are many, many players involved here. This is to large for me to write now as I have a lot of work to do. I am thinking that along with writing the USGS, I may want to also write the Department of Energy. - while I'm at it maybe Heads of State - I am quiet sure the Department of Interior is involved. This is HUGE!!! I would imagine, They are all concerned at this point!! Tapping mother earth for her energy for Their energy with little thought to the consequences and what is now a very serious matter at hand. We have a Volcano - Magma chamber at the beginning lines of Major Faults - We have a Contract between Mexico and the US for more energy - We have a delayed reaction from the earth to the effects of tapping of energy by use of force or water - We have major swarming - Yes, we have Tectonics that I believe are being influenced by the tapping of energy - We have gas involved, which leads to pressurization add a little heat from the magma and melt and water - OH Yes we have energy alright. - energy shooting all the way up the fault line. I am currently shaking my head.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I live in Holtville Ca. just about 10 miles from the border. i used to live in mexicali. In the imperial valley as well as the mexicali valley, and there has always been earthquake at least two 4-5 magnitude and many more of lesser magnitude. last year, i can't recall what day it was, sometime spring, a 5+ magnitude earth occur with a similar swarm of earthquakes, but no one seemed to notice. When the big earthquake happened everyone turned around and start to see into the area and started worrying. This area is a hotspot for geothermal wells, Cierro Prieto im mexicali and the tens of geothermal wells in the imperial valley obtain energy from the ground. Regarding the pollution generated by cierro prieto, Mexicali is an industrial city with many toxic dumps, (Rio Nuevo), but the fact that the geothermal plants are causing the earthquakes is very unlikely.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
As a resident of San Diego, these small quakes have been going on for sometime. These are minor usually less than a magnetude 2. However as I watch this regions geological map for the last year there seems to be a connection to solar geomagnetic storms. As stated in various space related articles this started monday, however it started the day before on Sunday. When the 7.2 hit with many aftershocks throuhout the San Diego county accured evey 2 minutes till the solar storm subsided yesterday with the final quake of 5.3 at 9.44am. Now according to SpaceWhether.com the next solar storm is expected to reach us on the 11th,12th. Watch for small earth quakes of magnetude 3 during this time, even perhaps a larger one at magnetude 4 during these two days.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join