It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Venus is alive -- geologically speaking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

ESA's Venus Express has returned the clearest indication yet that Venus is still geologically active. Relatively young lava flows have been identified by the way they emit infrared radiation. The finding suggests the planet remains capable of volcanic eruptions.

www.physorg.com...

And people thought venus was just a dead rock in space

Seriously though, it makes me wonder, if there can be microbes on venus. We never know, hopefully we will know soon.
Enjoy

[edit on 8-4-2010 by Maddogkull]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I think alot of planets get a chance in its life time to host.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
When did people say it was a dead rock? This seems pretty usual for a very hot planet.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Just a few years ago, Venus was described as 'shirt-sleeves' territory by a well-known guy on ATS.

Either ESA's Venus Express findings are accurate...or once more NASA is hiding the fact that Venus is a populated urban centre of the Solar System.

The atmosphere of Venus is very hot and thick. You would not survive a visit to the surface of the planet - you couldn't breathe the air, you would be crushed on by the enormous weight of the atmosphere, and you would burn up in surface temperatures high enough to melt lead.

The atmosphere of Venus is made up mainly of carbon dioxide, and thick clouds of sulfuric acid completely cover the planet. The atmosphere traps the small amount of energy from the sun that does reach the surface along with the heat the planet itself releases. This greenhouse effect has made the surface and lower atmosphere of Venus one of the hottest places in the solar system! If you were on the surface of the planet, the air above you would be about 90 times heavier than the Earth's atmosphere.
links

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
If you were on the surface of the planet, the air above you would be about 90 times heavier than the Earth's

Pshh, 90% heavier than the earths atmosphere, thats nothing. You should see the thick clouds in my house

But seriously, I know that there can never be advance life, but there might be certain microbes.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by Maddogkull]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Could it be that ESA are now competing for monies from the international communities, and want to be setting themselves apart from NASA.

I seem to recall that some of the bigger corporations provide much needed funds to the space organisations, in exchange for their services, etc.

It could be that ESA are trying to build a different image to NASA, and one that would win it much needed funding from governments and corporations....

Just a thought.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Yeah Venus isn't top of the list of possible places to find microbial life...Mars, Enceladus and Europa are the main horses in that race. It's only opinion, but I like to think that once/if we find life anywhere else, it'll be found all over the place.

Until our Govts invest a lot more in space exploration we'll just have to wait.

@Dampknickers...ESA is tied in with NASA since mid-last year regarding Mars missions...right or wrong, that's how it is.

new topics

top topics

join