It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychiatrists say that being angry is a mental illness

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Actually I think schizophrenia as a diagnosis is a category error, a "lump" that should be "split", as it were...I strongly expect that once we get down into the fine print of the individual "schizophrenic" genotypes we are going to see that there are dozens of different distinct diseases currently all called "schizophrenia" because they present fairly similarly...where can I place that bet for money, I wonder?

Which is why I hate to talk about schizophrenia, usually...

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

They already DO split schizophrenia in to different categories!!! There already IS controversy on many psychological disorders that seem to overlap!!

...you're betting on yesterday's game, man.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
How fitting!
< note smile, not anger.

My Struggle with Anger Towards Psychiatry

bipolarblast.wordpress.com...

Also, I am completely aware that not all doctors are kind spirited as mine was. Some are not only ignorant, but patronizing, condescending and controlling and oppressive as well. I’ve encountered those people too. Not just doctors but also staff in psychiatric hospitals. The proposition to forgive these people becomes more difficult. They are truly hateful at times. Though I have to say, those people in my life were in and out of it so quickly–my hospital stays being brief–that I don’t have the same complexity of feeling involved when I think of them. They are just mean humiliating faces. My long-term psychiatrist was my “friend.” Like I said, I loved and trusted him—all the more reason that the feelings of betrayal I have about him are palpable.

Anyway, this is all in the realm of theory as I’ve not forgiven nor forgotten. I harbor deep anger and resentment towards all these “providers.” I think it’s okay to feel these things. It’s necessary to feel these things. Repression of these feelings is not the answer. That would only make things worse. So I will feel and I will feel completely and then I hope I will release the anger, the rage, the hatred.

It just feels heavy. I want to be light.

Emphasis mine.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
The Drug companies want money. They come out w/ all these pills, either to make a sensation, or deaden a sensation. Why should pills even be used? What w/ all the crazyass side-effects they cause, most of them WORSE than what the pill is supposed to be treating. For instance, you might get rid of Depression, But you'll Gain a Tumor! or You might get rid of insomnia, but you’ll Gain Diabetes! So are these pills really helpful? No. And the same thing can be said about stupid parents who put there kids of Ritalin, to either speed their kids up, or slow them down. Like programming a Robot. Drug companies dont care about your health, they care about the dollar. Kids that are put on Ritalin, and for long enough, usually grow up to be very odd, or disturbed individuals, ive known many, and currently, they’re all either In-jail, on the street, or dead from reckless endangerment or suicide. Because the parents wanted a quick fix that actually caused more damage.

Do you think maybe its just the child's diet and environment that causes them to be one way or another? is their diet consisted of lots of sugars, caffeine, artificial, colors/flavoring, preservatives and other unnatural chemicals? If so, FIX THAT FIRST. Then take a look at their environment and surroundings, that includes colorations of carpets and paint on walls, loud noises such as yelling or music or images of TV. Fix that too, and i guarantee you'll see a difference, if NOT? Well then it apparently IS something that needs medicated, but NOT w/ Ritalin.

All these antidepressants, and sexual-pills, pills to wake you up or make you sleep. Are humans so dried out inside that they HAVE TO RELY on a Substance to Make them FEEL, to feel an Emotion, or to feel a Physical Sensation?!!? It certainly looks that way, and now we're forcing it on our children. Ever wonder maybe THATS WHY, so many children are born w/ Autism and retardation, deformities or some other problem, ever think its the food we eat, the stuff we drink and the Drugs we take? (Both illegal AND LEGAL?) Poor pre-natal care, bad genetics, etc... All of these things caused by something unnatural. Ever wondered what? Pills and Chemicals and destruction of ecosystem (Either by deforestation alone OR With Pollution) caused by the human hand!

Chemicals that are man made are unnatural and cause long-term damage, either to an individual, or an entire species and/or their ecosystem. And all the while these drug-companies Push these unnatural 'cures' while they condemn herbal remedies which are things that have worked for thousands of years without any long-term damage. (except on the rare occasion, a few people were allergic to the herbs they were taking) So is it true what they say about all mental illnesses? NO, ive learned that the hard way. they want Money and business, regardless of the suffering and damage it induces to those that take this poison. I stopped my so-called 'medication' 6 months ago, i had been on them for nearly 11 years, they caused me more problems than they fixed, and when i went to the doctors to be treated for the problems the PILLS Caused, they told me i was fine and to just stay on the pills. BULLCRAP! I ended all Meds a month afterwards and my problems actually Improved without them. They wanted me to stay on pills even though it was slowly killing me, and they wanted me to stay on so the drug-companies would be happy, and so they could keep me coming back to they could get more money. That’s all it amounted to.

I could tell you stories about Hospitals and Drug-companies that would make your head spin.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Psychiatrists say that being angry is a mental illness

Great, more drug commercials during the news.

Sometimes I think being a Psychiatrist is a mental illness.

Seriously, think about this:

Insane is when someone resides within their own mind.

Now, if a Psychiatrist wants to be sure someone is insane the Psychiatrist has to get into their head to observe them in their own mind, in order to be sure of the diagnosises, right?

Now, if a Psychiatrist is in my head, aren't they:Out Of Their Mind?

Great, trusting a Psychiatrist to tell me i'm in my head is me relying on someone who is out of their mind.

(technically speaking)

moral of the story:
K.I.S.S.
Keep It Simple, Stupid

[edit on 22-5-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Soon we will all be forced into heavily medicating ourselves to serve the system better.

"Equilibrium"
-Brandt
This man... this senior Cleric -- has ceased the dose.
He is feeling!
He is the worm that has been eating at the core of our great society! And I... I have brought him for your justice.

-Preston-
Ugh!

-Brandt-
I told you I'd make my career with you, Preston.

[edit on 22-5-2010 by AProphet1233]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by patmac

The entire DSM charade is a ploy to characterize an ever-increasing segment of the population as being "sick" and in need of pharmaceutical drugs. There can be no variations in personality and individual characteristics; if a person does not live, think, and react in prescribed fashion, then he or she is sick and in need of treatment, according to the APA.

So true. The American Psychological Association does not use science. They make up disorder criteria by voting, but they never prove that the criterias match anything found in Nature like scientists does. The made-up disorders are described in the book Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders

In my ebook, Autopilot - The secret to a strong mental health, I describe how the pharmaceutical industry is deceiving millions of people into thinking that mental illnesses ("disorders") exist in Nature to push billions of dollars worth of partially tax funded expensive, harmful drugs down their throat. I describe the real reason for uncontrollable, irrational behavior which is a depressed emotional state and how it causes automatic fight or flight responses to occur. I also explain how you can teach your brain to automatically change all depressed emotional states to happy emotional states whenever it encounters them. This information is freely available.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
You are not an appropriately outleted plastic, electric robot clone that will plug into the socket of your corporate slave cubbyhole.

Jeeze Louise.

They also used to say that homosexuality was a disease too.

Maybe they should include 'being a psychiatrist' as another disease,
perhaps the worst of the lot,

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Temper is just a demon son, Thats all. You need to cast it out.

"Perhaps many of the men or women who do permit some fits of temper to shake and sicken them believe that such temper is not any peril to them; if so, they do not pay proper notice to the signs of peril. Periodic formal checks made by many medical men prove that fits of temper may do permanent harm to the body, for temper does make the body perform under an unusual tension; during the period of touch tension, the body is thrown out of proper balance an is thus not fit or able to perform with proficiency. When the temper subsides, the body tries to go back to its proper course, but often toxic elements aroused with temper do not permit any such return."

Be sure to forgive the people that have hurt you before you cast the demons OUT. If cancer, arthritis or gall bladder diseases run in your family line, then there is an iniquity (murder, hate, unforgiveness, etc.) involved and it must be confessed according to Leviticus 26:40-42. Also, break the curses going back at least 10 generations.

Bitterness, hate, murder, retaliation, unforgiveness and temper are just some of the demons associated with temper. The diseases of cancer and arthritis are also demons that need to be cast OUT.

If you think your temper is your "flesh", then why does the temper leave when it is cast out in the name of Jesus?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I hate to burst your little bubble, but this is essentially inflammatory garbage. Use your common sense. Is this accomplishing what you set out to do? Cause people enough distress and disgust that they will post in your little thread and give you a flag?

For pity's sake......The DSM Committee meets behind closed doors and agonizes over the diagnoses and criteria. The most brilliant minds in the country work on this. Of course, you wouldn't know this, or know anything about it. You just take a little snippet and run with it.

Hoarding is already in DSM, by the way. It's under Obsessive Compulsive Disorders, which, by the way, it is an OCD. It can be debilitating, and although difficult, it can be treated. Ever been in anyone's home that was so cluttered there were maggots crawling through piles of "stuff"? I have.

I could go on, but why bother? Have fun at your little disinfo party. :

This is nonsense.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
I hate to burst your little bubble, but this is essentially inflammatory garbage. Use your common sense. Is this accomplishing what you set out to do? Cause people enough distress and disgust that they will post in your little thread and give you a flag?

For pity's sake......The DSM Committee meets behind closed doors and agonizes over the diagnoses and criteria. The most brilliant minds in the country work on this. Of course, you wouldn't know this, or know anything about it. You just take a little snippet and run with it.

Hoarding is already in DSM, by the way. It's under Obsessive Compulsive Disorders, which, by the way, it is an OCD. It can be debilitating, and although difficult, it can be treated. Ever been in anyone's home that was so cluttered there were maggots crawling through piles of "stuff"? I have.

I could go on, but why bother? Have fun at your little disinfo party. :

This is nonsense.

I have relatives who don't believe in mental illness. They think the pills are actually causing the illness. They think the solution is to just get off the pills. What they don't understand is that the pills help. My psychiatrist has over 40 years experience. Anyway, my family loves to lecture me and give me advice. All they say over and over again is to stop taking pills. Why do they think I started taking pills to begin with? People act like their such experts on mental illness, yet they've never studied it. There's no such thing to them. I guess people are just pretending to be mentally ill or something. It's so easy to pick on weak people, isn't it? Fact of the matter is, a lot of people have mental illness and just aren't being treated in any way, shape, or form because they deny it. For example, how many alcoholics do you know? I know quite a few. They're among the people dispensing the advice. That's an illness in itself, yet these people think there's absolutely nothing wrong with them. Expanding the DSM to include other things makes a lot of sense. It shows that the science is evolving. But if you want to believe in Scientology, and believe your problems are caused by aliens or something, that's up to you. If you want to listen to Tom Cruise, who knows the history of psychiatry, that's up to you. An actor versus doctors with lifetimes of knowledge and experience. Gee, I wonder who I'll listen to?

[edit on 2-6-2010 by Incubus]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by spanggaard

Please explain to the rest of us how psychology does not use science. It employs the scientific method in numerous studies, all of which have properly controlled variables. This is what scientists do and this is what psychologists do. Also, every disorder contained in the DSM has a specific brain abnormality associated with it. This is what psychologists and psychiatrists try to fix by employing psychotherapy and medication.

I actually just returned from the annual Association of Psychological Science conference, which had quite a few talks on the upcoming DSM V. While I didn't attend any of these talks some of my colleagues did, and they said that it is actually being pushed back so they can make sure all superfluous disorders are removed, while separating different disorders that used to be labeled under the same diagnosis.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
On an ironic note:

"I don't believe they have a pill that cures drug seeking behavior just yet."
I believe that will be the last mental illness to be cured.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Wow now that I think of it I must have drived my ex-girlfriend insane, Because she was angry all the time because I wasn't being screwed up with her, I was an actually nice guy and not messed up, she was messed up in the head, she thought physical abuse = love, sad but true, anyways she had anger issues, so maybe she has some sort of mental issue, it makes sense, why the heck would you be angry all the time, I could understand if you lost some money and you needed it to pay your bills, that's a good reason to get upset, but seriously angry all the time then you do have issues, but luckily you can change your mind state and not be angry unless needed to, it's all just the perception of human emotions, we can precieve an other as mentally ill, or normal, or just excessivly emotional.

Remember psyches are humans too, your a human aswell, your point of view on this can differ based on your own personal experiences, but I say when you take anger to the point of murder, then obviously your bat # insane.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Interesting thread here. Unusual for pro-psychiatry advocates to attempt to argue the science behind this con-science. I do not care what experience you have, profesional or lay person, patient or carer, if you advocate that this pseudo-scientific branch of medicine is genuine in any way you are wrong! Plain and simple.

There are two models of mental (ill) health. The bio-medical model and the social model. The social model looks into background and circumstances whereas the biochemical imbalance adherants do not. They prescribe pills. Pills with lethal side effects for non-fatal conditions. The number one killer of the mentally ill in the UK is heart failure usually in their 50's (always recorded as death by natural causes and not medication side effects) - number two is suicide.

Can they explain what the correct chemical balance of the brain ought to be? Of course not. There is no test. In addition, when I occassionally smile, I alter the chemical balance of my brain, as does exercise, food etc. Read any text on how these medications work, after convuluted nonsense often comes the phrase, 'we don't actually know how this works it is thought....'

Psychosis is real but always temporary. Schizophrenia and its ilk are not real. I would agree that an individual going through psychosis may need temporary pharmaceutical help but this does not equate to a lifelong condition and nor does it equate to a lifelong requirement for medications. It is more a symptom of too much stress on an individual...not a genetic flaw or chemical imbalance. This perspective however does not create lifelong customers for pharmaceutical firms.

A psychiatrist who lives locally wrote a book on the subject in the 1980's. It has been revised three times, translated into 38 languages and is still used in the training of psychiatrists and psychiatric nurses to this day. He tells me his book is a crock. He said he had been early in his career and he simply jumped on the chemical imbalance/genetic arguments that were fashionable at the time in order to advance his career.

He further explained that now, in his view, it is the way people have been treated and what they are required to deal with that creates mental dis-ease. He gave the example of one of his patients, a young woman, who had been kept under lock and key in her room for 16 years. When her 'carer' died, to add insult to injury, because the girl could not cope with the outside world she was given a schizophrenia diagnosis and medicated.

I am known as a lay expert and was invited to speak at the Royal College of Psychiatry's annual conference. I declined.

The ever expanding list of silly diagnoses in the DSM has even more sinister conotations in the UK that in the States. We have the NHS - no medical insurance required to detain individuals for decades. I have known women detained for 'moral deviance' by having a baby outside of wedlock...held from teenage years until they died. Remember too that in countries such as China and Russia psychiatry too is/was used as a political weapon...locking up those who spoke out against the prevailing regime.

I have much more information on this subject and will happily repsond to any pro-psychiatry argument here.

PS. I have no time at all for CCHR - they may be the most organised anti-psychiatry movement out there but they have another scientology led agenda. Any association with them when arguing against psychiatry loses all credibility.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join