It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychiatrists say that being angry is a mental illness

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
The last time i've heard about mental illness was when they called LOVE is a disease and can be cure by taking pills !

it makes me so angry

Now they said, angry is a kind of mental illness too!

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ganja

Im just curious, then did you go to get help for it or did someone suggest you see a psychologist? And was it really bad that it sort of 'run your life'?
Dont answer if its too personal.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

That's true. Meds cannot cause the change themselves. However, they can make it possible for the changes to take place. Although in some cases meds can be all that's needed. I know someone who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and they were definitely bipolar. So, they were prescribed medication and they took it for a while, but after a while just got sick of the way the lithium made them feel physically, so they stopped their meds. Since then they haven't experienced any symptoms associated with bipolar.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Yes, Im personally certain its a dopamine processing - it has basically all the same symptoms of '___'! And that is from dopamine uptake. But cant go in to that in this site.

The antipsychotics for schizophrenia are only temporary - like we say there is no such thing as a cure for schizophrenia! Interestingly enough some '___' users have flashbacks and symptoms years later - I truly think they are the same thing (related).

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Hey, look who's costumer base, by a staggering coinkidinkie, just expanded to include EVERYONE by these findings!

[edit on 9 Apr 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by decadence

If it make you feel any better, no they didnt. Inappropriate response/randomly enraged for no apparent cause is the disorder. Read through this thread please... that article misrepresent facts and deliberately misquoted statements to distort truth.

...and love is a disease, it made me sick

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

For things like paranoid schizophrenia the dopamine hypothesis definitely fits. The problem is that it seems like schizophrenia is more of a syndrome than a disorder, so we really have to look for more than one cause. I mean, we're not really sure of the effect enlarged ventricles can have, yet this is common in most schizophrenics.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Definitely! I will have to break out my notes some time but, of the two 'types' of schizophrenia, when I first heard them I thought, the first is like '___', the second is like mental retardation!!

A: Positive (as in +, not good) symptoms - hallucinations, delusions, inappropriate emotions, paranoia, intellectual ability intact. Good response to med, tend to be acute.

B: Negative symptom - sort of a lack of cognition. Like catatonic schizophrenia! Poor development before onset of symptoms, poor response to medication, intellectual impairment, tend to last whole life (chronic).

Doesnt it sound like '___' and mental retardation?

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by patmac

Easy solution. Anyone that's angry just show up at the government's door step saying you're angry and that's a mental illness now!

That makes me disabled! So where's my food stamps and disability insurance at? I'm disabled and can't work cause I'm angry! Duh! So, I'm gonna need government funded health care to treat my condition too! I'm a disabled person!

Watch how quick they change their tune once people start asking the gov for money to help with their "condition."

Next thing you know these "doctors" would soon be discredited by government funded studies done by their own "doctors." The next week's news headline. Angry people declared normal again!

[edit on 9-4-2010 by tinfoilman]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Being angry is a mental illness???

Seems to me that it's a helluva lot more of a natural-state than the state that their prescriptions put us in.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by patmac

"This article grossly misrepresents the DSM. If any of you have ever picked up the DSM you would know that one symptom most disorders share is that it must be profound enough to impede normal functioning."

And that's what I'm worried about, Xcalibur. What is "normal functioning"?? Because personally I'm pretty much dysfunctional, ha downright antisociall .. I don't watch TV, I don't eat junk food, I don't like "Authority", I don't "get with the program", etc.etc.etc. .. so while I'm quiet happy being me, I'm sure there is someone out there who would like to change that, make me a bit more "normal".

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by lunchbuddy

It varies from person to person. If you cannot go about your day as you normally would due to a condition then it is a mental illness. Such as anxiety disorders, if you can't leave your house anymore due to petrifying fear, there's clearly a problem. Unless of course you can't recognize that you're having problems and you're posing a threat to yourself or others, then you can be forcibly placed under the guidance of a psychologist. Other than that it is completely your choice as to when you have a big enough problem that you need to seek help.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Everybody is different. DSM diagnoses are essentially used as something to refer to in treatment.

Explosive Personality Disorder is not a pretty sight, by the way.

Hoarding has been typically included under OCD, but it has become so pervasive, they might very well make it a disorder unto itself. This is probably a good thing, as they will refine the treatment.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ridhya
reply to post by OnceReturned

Not necessarily. Things like PTSD cant happen biologically - only traumatically.
There is researche in to if IF there is a biological basis that may make people more SUSCEPTIBLE, but dont know for sure...

I don't mean to suggest that every psychological disorder is only a matter of pre-existing biological conditions. In PTSD, experiences bring about neurobiological conditions which are PTSD. Every psychological event is simultaniously a neurobiological events, and every psychological disorder is paralleled by some underlying neurobiology. We haven't yet "matched up" all psychological phenomena with corresponding neurobiological phenomena, but the effort is underway and there is certainly every reason to think that we will be able to accomplish this given enough time and resources.

PTSD is a psychological disorder because the identified symptoms are symptoms of the mind. Unless we go way out on a limb of anti-science and mysticism, we have to accept that the mind is a function of the brain. This means that everything mental corresponds to something neurobiological. A logical concequence of this is that PTSD corresponds to something neurobiological. Perhaps the neurobiology can be treated with pharmaceuticals to better aleviate the symptoms than when the psychology is treated with talk therapy.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I cant wait until these dilluted fools claim psychiatry as a mental illness. Surely that day is just around the corner.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
FFS guys... read my damn posts already!
I tried to get the mods to label this a hoax but they told me, no matter how wrong it is, its the title of an article, so they cant change it.

Look how much ignorance is spread. Anger is NOT A DSM DISORDER. The title is a blatant lie!! But no its so much easier to pretend its true and react emotionally.

Frustrating.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

Of course it's a lie, or it is misleading to the point that it is a lie. People are jumping all over it because it's what they do. This is merely playing on the emotions.

Anger is a very normal emotion. It can serve a purpose in our survival.

It drives us into action. It moves us to correct injustices.

And to the poster who is angry because "love" has been designated a "mental illness". No, it has not. Whatever you read about that was either a hoax, or written by someone who didn't know what they were talking about. It's utter nonsense. If you choose to argue this point, please do not do so without providing a link to give me the opportunity to view the source, as whoever it is is not credible, I can assure you.

Tardive Dyskinesia is not caused by Schizophrenia. It can be drug induced (some anti-psychotic medications) or also through the ingestion of some heavy metals. Or Anoxia induced, including Hepatic failure, Huntington's chorea, Renal failure, and other problems.

[edit on 4/10/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by On the Edge
[more

Firstly, believing in Jesus, which equals being kind and saving people and animals, is rational.

Secondly, psychiatrists are all completely mad.

Thirdly, anger is a natural human emotion.

Express your anger - safely!

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Canadianinsight

I wanted to respond to this, and then I will bow out of the conversation, as people seem to be enjoying this bandwagon.

Please be aware that people who have TRUE mental illnesses suffer. They suffer greatly. They want more than anything to be able to feel and function like other people. They actively seek help. Shouldn't they have somewhere to go to seek that help?

Without this branch of medicine, there might be no one there for them.
When you get into this branch of neuropsychiatry, or see symptoms of these truly debilitating illnesses, you see people who are willing to do anything to be able to function normally, and to get out of pain.

I am the first one to say that many of these medications really suck, particularly the old ones such as thorazine, mellaril, and all the old anti-depressants and anti-psychotics.

But the newer ones can be life saving. They can permit someone who has been unable to work....to be able to function in a job. To be sociable, and make friends, even marry and have children. These type pharmacotherapies can greatly enrich the quality of the lives of those who suffer with mental illness. Which is what psychiatry strives to do. To assist in making someone's life better, and more productive. To reduce pain.

We all have events that cause us discomfort, but they are usually fleeting.
The major mental illnesses are painful, pervasive, disruptive and usually disabling. Medicine will continue to address these illnesses, in an effort to to search and find some relief for this population of patients, who again, suffer greatly in their perceived difference from others.

[edit on 4/10/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I say being a psychiatrist is a mental illness.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by acrux]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join