It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official in New Kyrgyzstan Government Says Russia Helped In Overthrow

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

U.S. Has Limited Operations At Kyrgyzstan Base

www.reuters.com

A U.S. base in Kyrgyzstan that supplies American forces in Afghanistan is conducting limited operations following an uprising that forced the Kyrgyz president to flee the capital, the Pentagon said on Thursday.

The U.S. stance could put Washington at loggerheads with Russia, which was quick to recognize the caretaker government led by Roza Otunbayeva, and which has vied for influence in Central Asia since the break up of the Soviet Union.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Sorry MODS from confused headlines - breaking story just changed!

[edit on 8-4-2010 by JanusFIN]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Breaking news and well related:

New Kyrgyz rulers hail Russia, aim to shut US base

AND MOST BREAKING NEWS FOLLOWS ---

Official in new government says Russia helped in overthrow

BISHKEK, April 8 (Reuters) - Kyrgyzstan's self-proclaimed new leaders thanked Russia on Thursday for helping to oust President Kurmanbek Bakiyev, and said they aimed to close a U.S. airbase that supplies forces in Afghanistan.

Their comments set Wednesday's overthrow of Bakiyev, who fled the capital Bishkek as crowds stormed government buildings, firmly in the context of superpower rivalry in central Asia.

No sooner had presidents Barack Obama and Dmitry Medvedev signed an arms reduction pact in Prague as part of an effort to "reset" strained relations than a senior official in Medvedev's delegation urged Kyrgyzstan's new rulers to shut the U.S. base.

www.alertnet.org...

EDIT:

I have re-think situation carefully now... There is even more alarming news I just found and gathering pieces...

Whoa - only thing what I can say in this moment, and hail that two headed eagle has gain shown his wings. Putin, what a man!

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
MORE TO COME - SOON?

Georgian opposition threatens to repeat Kyrgyz uprising

Georgian opposition leaders warned the authorities on Thursday that the country could see a Kyrgyz scenario if opposition activists continue to be arrested. Earlier in the day, police detained eight protesters for blocking a road in the capital, Tbilisi.

en.rian.ru...

- Waiting what is his ally USA and its moves there?

Kyrgyz president goes into hiding, refuses to step down

en.rian.ru...

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
"check" -Putin

2nd line.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
This from the new leader Roza Otunbayeva.

The US is likely to back her as well. She promised today that the US Transit Center at Manas (formerly Manas airbase), a key logistical hub for the US war in Afghanistan, will remain open.

www.csmonitor.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Lets see and wait - hold our breaths from UN... If China and Russia walks out from Iranian talks - this is the real one and just started.

- Situation in Georgia needs close following. If this coup was backed by Russia, they can have similar operation in Tblisi going on. Success in Kyrgyzstan fuels tensions.

-

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

I wouldn't be surprised if the US and Russia worked together to put the SDPK into power.

Could even throw the Chinese in there too.

The other government had to go. It was in the best interests of all of three powers.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Russia is finally reasserting itself on the international stage. Atleast they are staying in their own neighbourhood though. Only if the USA would do the same.

I don't see any 'war' between the US and Russia over this, the base will remain open, so they say.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

I wouldn't be surprised if the US and Russia worked together to put the SDPK into power.

Could even throw the Chinese in there too.

The other government had to go. It was in the best interests of all of three powers.

As well as the people of Kyrgyzstan, that's important too.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by BlubberyConspiracy

Yeah, them too.

I met some great people there. I liked Kyrgyzstan and its people deserved better.

[edit on 8/4/10 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Reuters keeps issue well updated, I reccomend to read whole article:

WASHINGTON, April 8 (Reuters) - The future of a U.S. base in Kyrgyzstan could have important implications for the U.S. war effort in Afghanistan and U.S. relations with Russia.

Here are some questions and answers about issues surrounding the Manas base, whose future is uncertain following the overthrow of President Kurmanbek Bakiyev.

HOW IMPORTANT IS THE BASE?

Pentagon officials say Manas has been central to the war effort, allowing around-the-clock combat airlift and airdrop, medical evacuation and aerial refueling.

It has been particularly important for getting U.S. forces into Afghanistan. Just last month, about 50,000 troops passed through the base on their way into and out of the country...

www.alertnet.org...

- I think main question is not here if base is important or not, but has Russia starting political operations without US full knowlege from those.

- Georgia is key factor in region - any operations there can really damage US interests if started from Russia without cooperation with USA. (pipelines)

- Timing. UN is in meeting about Iran sanctions, I see these are highly related to these events. (who is really against who)

- I see that in general Russia is now free to make their military moves because situation with Ukraine is back in their hands.

- China is again silenced, like always when something is happening in Caucasus, and that means SCO is in action with common agenda with Russians.

We are in the edge - and soon someone has to show their true cards, if we still have separated players in the field of world wide domination.

SCO - NATO = united or separated?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I hate to say it, but we could end up trading Georgia for Iran, but thats the world of realpolitik.

Reality is painful at times.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Latest!

U.S. walks careful line on Kyrgyzstan

State Department officials said Kyrgyz Foreign Minister Kadyrbek Sarbayev met a top U.S. diplomat in Washington, while the U.S. charge d'affaires in the Kyrgyz capital met opposition leader Roza Otunbayeva.

"Our message to both is the same," State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley told a news briefing. "We will continue to urge them to resolve this in a peaceful way."

www.alertnet.org...

- So should we read this other way... that there is now real threat of solving this with arms? Something I dont want to see is that huge US Base in country, and Russians backing opposition from their own... Damn!

"RED ALERT?"

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Yep, my friend. That is also what I am afraid. Not because of trades done and what it will cause in these countries - but what it will mean in Middle East.

If Russia and China pulls out, who will keep situation out from all out war in Middle East then?

I really dont want to see Iran bombed. Really I dont. But if deals are done and Russia and China has been given Caucasus... We just dont know that. Thats also what I ment - "soon someone has to show their cards" - and I think Iran is everything in this chessgame.

If Russia pulls out from sanctions which are now table in UN about Iran, and these military moves are done in Caucasus without US fore knowledge - we are really falling fast to world war situation.

Main question still in my head, like years before today - Can China give up with Iran and its oil?

Uh - I want to sleep...

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

I think as long as China has oil from somewhere they'll be happy.

Chinese oilfields in Iraq

Chinese firm Daqing and a joint venture between Schlumberger Ltd (SLB.N) and the state-owned Iraq Drilling Company are each being awarded contracts to drill 21 new wells, while Weatherford International Ltd (WFT.N) was awarded seven new wells, Ameedi said.

UPDATE 1-Iraq awards Rumaila drilling deals worth $500 mln
www.reuters.com...

Iraq to develop Maysan oilfields with Chinese firms
www.pukmedia.com...:iraq-to-develop-maysan-oilfields-with-chinese-firms&catid=1:economy& Itemid=389

China's oil giant to develop oil field in Iraq
english.peopledaily.com.cn...

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Well there some of that dept to China paid back,, wounder what they got for it? t
he oil companies i mean
they have just been handed the wealth of that country for what? $$$$$$
for how long ??????????????????????
now that's a pretty big auction!

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Oh and just how many American/Canadian soldiers etc,, died for China????????????? damn they are good

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
You know what's really beginning to piss me off?

During the Cold War when the US or Russia would overthrow a country and replace the leadership it was about their respected sphere of influence. Countries wars were funded with USA funding one side and USSR funding the other side.

Now we have large countries overthrowing small countries, and not just for influence anymore. Now the main reason is for business deals, whoever can create the most business for their countries highest CEO's and corporations.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Sorry double post.

[edit on 4/8/10 by Misoir]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Considering that Lukoil is pulling out of Iran, I certainly feel a deal has been done.. and all the pieces are falling together, I've been saying for ages that the great game is still being played in ME, with the old adage he, who controls the ME controls the world, so what part of that premise will Russia, China or the US walk away from great game at this critical stage?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join