It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we be Pressured into posting on 'quakewatch/volcano watch' ETC?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Hi all,

There are a few threads out there titled 'quakewatch' volcanowatch' etc etc and I would like to ask you all think this is a very fair thread?

I think some members feel pressured into posting their findings into these existing threads all the time, therefore getting no credit themselves.

I would like to know the rules on this. Are we obligated to use these threads, or is it perfectly ok to start a new threads about say "a large earthquake" that has just occurred?

To be honest, I hope this does not spread and become commonpace with many other topics.

I guess maybe a couple of these threads have been around a long time, and I respect that.

What made me post this? Well I read a post on the first page of this thread that I found to be not very fair -

www.abovetopsecret.com...

g

[edit on 8-4-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I think if it's a new event your allowed to start your own thread on the subject.

Adding to an existing thread is your choice, however i know it wouldn't get any attention if that was the case, I dont go back and check on old threads very often, and I suspect many other members are the same.

If quake threads become so frequent that they take over the board their posted in, I'm sure the mods will take action and create a new board like the swine flu or political madness boards.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I agree, there's nothing wrong with posting a new thread for a new event.

I think the 'watch' threads are useful for ongoing discussions on the overall topic, but IMO each volcano (for example) deserves it's own thread.

cheers

Penny

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I agree with what you're saying. these threads do have a lot of great info and it helps see trends etc.

it's only when people are pressured into posting there it kind of annoys me and I was frustrated earlier with what I saw.

g

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
From what I have amassed with the "Watch" threads vs. a "Breaking News" thread is this:

The "Watch" threads have for the most part formed their own group of regular following of ATS members and "Breaking News" is discussed amongst those ATS members combined with a few passing through ATS members when significant events occur. When a "Breaking News" event is posted it usually doesn't pull away from either. The "Breaking News" threads will continue to be posted regardless and the "Watch" threads will continue with their following.

Either way, the news is being spread, and that is all that matters. So if you're inclined to post a "Breaking News" thread then by all means, just be the first to do so as posting dup threads is a whole other animal entirely.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
My two cents:

If it is breaking news and a worthy change of circumstance, such as a volcano erupting NOW, it should have its own thread.

However, there should also be a reference made in the volcano watch thread regarding the new development and after the initial reported event is complete (i.e. the eruption is over), the newer thread should be shut down by the OP and people should be directed to the "watch" thread.

Putting everything into a "watch" thread is a problem because the threads are thousands or hundreds of pages long and it is often difficult to enter a discussion solely about something happening now, without it derailing the thread.

Discussing ideas in a general manner, encompassing all aspects of the subject, is entirely different (at least to me) than simply discussing one specific incident or occurance.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Hiya folks - as a quake watcher and contributor to the Quake Watch thread I think that it is better to have larger events discussed in separate threads so as not to take the focus away from the tracking of day to day earthquakes on the main thread. It also allows for a more jointed and in depth discussion of individual events away from the ongoing tracking.

Same goes for the Volcano Watch.

Just my 0.02c.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I agree with you.

Also, to the OP.....I know which post you are referring to. I don't want to speak for the poster, but having 'discussed' things with them for some time, I really believe that they just meant to add the info to the watch thread in addition to the breaking news. I don't think it has anything to do with 'getting credit' for them....just wanting to make sure that those following the on-going threads get the info ALSO.

No one should ever feel pressured to NOT start a thread about something they feel is newsworthy. It's what the site is all about!!

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I agree with you.

Also, to the OP.....I know which post you are referring to. I don't want to speak for the poster, but having 'discussed' things with them for some time, I really believe that they just meant to add the info to the watch thread in addition to the breaking news. I don't think it has anything to do with 'getting credit' for them....just wanting to make sure that those following the on-going threads get the info ALSO.

No one should ever feel pressured to NOT start a thread about something they feel is newsworthy. It's what the site is all about!!

I think the request to connect the threads was simply worded in a way that made it sound like a demand rather than a polite request to add a link to their thread on the main Volcano watch and people have read it the wrong way.

I, too, recognise the poster and don't for one minute think they were credit-grabbing - they just wanted to ensure that the volcano-watchers were kept in the loop.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I agree with the OP.

The way the post is written shines bright from arrogance.

Especially because if you would ad something to a watch thread it will not get any attention at all. Along with the impossible task of finding your post back in a big thread.

Besides that the OP from the Etna thread delivered some spectacular first hand views. That's amazing enough on it's own IMO.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
my 2 cents...

Volcanowatch (i am going to just use one, as a metaphor for all) type threads have 1 purpose: to enter, as if in a journal, an event.

If you find a new eruption, you should:

1. create a new thread and begin the conversation on the subject
2. make en entry into the volcanowatch thread, so there is a running history of the event. this thread should not be about conversation as much as chronicling.

BTW, i hate members who try to usurp an entire topic, and then whine about "I already have a thread on this".

[edit on 9-4-2010 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Volcanowatch (i am going to just use one, as a metaphor for all) type threads have 1 purpose: to enter, as if in a journal, an event.

spot on.

top topics

join