It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yemeni Child Bride Dies from Rupture and Hemorrhage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

A 13-year-old Yemeni girl who was forced into marriage died five days after her wedding when she suffered a rupture in her sex organs and hemorrhaging, a local rights organization said today.

Ilham Mahdi al Assi died last Friday in a hospital in Yemen's Hajja province, the Shaqaeq Arab Forum for Human Rights said in a statement quoting a medical report.

She was wedded the previous Monday in a traditional arrangement known as a "swap marriage," in which the brother of the bride also married the sister of the groom, it said.

www.news.com.au...

So 'thousands of women, answering a call by Islamist parties opposing the law which seeks to ban child marriage' demonstrated against the law which would save their own daughters out of obedience to a call put out by Islamist parties which oppose the implementation of the law ?

I can't decide which are the most digusting -- the 'Islamist parties opposing the law to ban child marriages' --- or the vile, foul 'excuses for mothers' who care more for their religious leaders than they do about their own daughters

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

Mod Edit: BB Code.

[edit on 8/4/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Yeah, religion makes people believe and do the most stupid and inhumane things. Forced marriages (while decrying consenting same-sex marriages), ambushing the funeral of police officers, invading Iraq 'because that's what god supposedly told the president to do,' animal sacrifice, supporting Israel to hasten the rapture, etc., etc.etc., etc.

Best,
Skunknuts

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by skunknuts

Well isnt that a new one... I never heard Bush invaded Iraq because "God told him to", Anything to back that up with????

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

Here you go, quoted from the BBC, 6/10/2005. There is actually a funny twist to this story:

President George W Bush told Palestinian ministers that God had told him to invade Afghanistan and Iraq - and create a Palestinian State, a new BBC series reveals.

In Elusive Peace: Israel and the Arabs, a major three-part series on BBC TWO (at 9.00pm on Monday 10, Monday 17 and Monday 24 October), Abu Mazen, Palestinian Prime Minister, and Nabil Shaath, his Foreign Minister, describe their first meeting with President Bush in June 2003.

Nabil Shaath says: "President Bush said to all of us: 'I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, "George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan." And I did, and then God would tell me, "George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq …" And I did. And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, "Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East." And by God I'm gonna do it.'"

BBC Press Office - God told me to invade Iraq, Bush tells Palestinian ministers

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Gee, I'd like to think humans are evolving, but the depressing truth is, it seems to be three steps back for every tentative stop forward

What sort of father or mother would hand their little girl over in marriage to an adult male, knowing full well that as soon as the wedding feast and festivities are winding down, that adult male is going to force himself physically upon their child, their little girl, who trusted them to protect her ?

And what sort of women and mothers would protest against laws seeking to protect children --- just because their religious leaders tell them to ?

What sort of 'politicians' would block laws that seek to protect children from forced sex ?

A percentage of the world's population has a developed conscience and wishes to protect children (in this case)

A larger pecentage of the world's population regards children as 'sexual prey'

How would people generally react to documentaries which showed adult lions and giraffes chasing down and raping infant animals ?

Would there be outrage, disgust, calls for the shooting of the predatory rapist animals ?

Should those documentaries then be morphed to show adult humans chasing down and raping and killing human children ?

Would there still be outrage and calls for the predatory humans to be eliminated ?

What's it going to take ?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Incredible, Our Collective Governments claim to be Humanitarian.
Yet They Start an INVASION (Not War, War Consists of 2 Armies Not 1) beacuse of "WMD's"...Which they Also Own Plenty Of These, So its a bit Double Standards, even if They did Have Them...Which they Didnt of Course.

Now it is Still going, Having Lasted 10Years. Longer than Both World Wars put Together.

AND AMAZINGLY...they continue to allow Schmidt Like this.
I Seriously Do Weep Inside for This Planet.

RIP Ilham.
The Creator Will See You Safe On Your Journey.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet

Well isnt that a new one... I never heard Bush invaded Iraq because "God told him to", Anything to back that up with????

Hmm, that wasn't reported on Fox News?? Weird?? Glen Beck didn't rant about the imminent danger THEOCRACY poses to democracy on his magic blackboard??

President George Bush has claimed he was told by God to invade Iraq and attack Osama bin Laden's stronghold of Afghanistan as part of a divine mission to bring peace to the Middle East, security for Israel, and a state for the Palestinians.

The President made the assertion during his first meeting with Palestinian leaders in June 2003, according to a BBC series which will be broadcast this month.

www.independent.co.uk...

Mr Bush told him and Mahmoud Abbas, former prime minister and now Palestinian President: "I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, 'George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan.' And I did, and then God would tell me, 'George go and end the tyranny in Iraq,' and I did." And "now again", Mr Bush is quoted as telling the two, "I feel God's words coming to me: 'Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East.' And by God, I'm gonna do it."

....the BBC account is anything but implausible, given how throughout his presidency Mr Bush, a born-again Christian, has never hidden the importance of his faith. From the outset he has couched the "global war on terror" in quasi-religious terms, as a struggle between good and evil. Al-Qa'ida terrorists are routinely described as evil-doers. For Mr Bush, the invasion of Iraq has always been part of the struggle against terrorism, and he appears to see himself as the executor of the divine will.

He told Bob Woodward - whose 2004 book, Plan of Attack, is the definitive account of the administration's road to war in Iraq - that after giving the order to invade in March 2003, he walked in the White House garden, praying "that our troops be safe, be protected by the Almighty".

As he went into this critical period, he told Mr Woodward, "I was praying for strength to do the Lord's will. "I'm surely not going to justify war based upon God. Understand that. Nevertheless, in my case, I pray that I will be as good a messenger of His will as possible. And then of course, I pray for forgiveness."

Another telling sign of Mr Bush's religion was his answer to Mr Woodward's question on whether he had asked his father - the former president who refused to launch a full-scale invasion of Iraq after driving Saddam Hussein from Kuwait in 1991 - for advice on what to do. The current President replied that his earthly father was "the wrong father to appeal to for advice ... there is a higher father that I appeal to".

www.guardian.co.uk...

firstread.msnbc.msn.com...

Here is a look at the more rational (yet just as sinister) reason the (human) voices in Bush's ear pushed the US into war:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Best,
Skunknuts

[edit on 4/8/2010 by skunknuts]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Could we keep this thread on topic

please ?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9
Could we keep this thread on topic

please ?

What's the topic? A debate on whether child rape is bad, or a discussion on the awful effects of blindly following religious dogma?

Best,
SN

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Aisha was the last bride of Muhammad. She was 6 or seven when she married Muhammad. Most sources indicate that Aisha was 9 years old when the marriage was consummated.

Since Muhammad is considered the most perfect role model my many Muslims, it therefore is acceptable to marry children.

Personally, I think that it is child abuse.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
Aisha was the last bride of Muhammad. She was 6 or seven when she married Muhammad. Most sources indicate that Aisha was 9 years old when the marriage was consummated.

Since Muhammad is considered the most perfect role model my many Muslims, it therefore is acceptable to marry children.

Personally, I think that it is child abuse.

Yeah, gross. I mean, it was a different time, fine, but 1.5 millenia later I don't get why that disgusting crap is still so revered. Here's some similar stuff from our so revered judeo-christian traditions:

www.cybercollege.com...

1. In the Bible's book of Deuteronomy it says that if a man marries a woman and then decides that he hates her, he can claim she wasn't a virgin when they married. At that point her father must prove she was a virgin. (How is not explained.) If he can't, then the girl is to be stoned to death at her father's doorstep.

2. If you see a pretty woman among your captives and would like her for a wife, then bring her home and "go in unto her." Later, if you decide you don't like her, you can simply "let her go." (Deuteronomy)

3. If a betrothed virgin is raped in the city and doesn't cry out loud enough, then "the men of the city shall stone her to death." (Deuteronomy)

4. In the book of Esther the king apparently decrees a sex contest among young virgin women to see who can best please him. (There is debate on how.) He eventually chooses Esther. However, since women are viewed as inherently dirty, Esther must be "purified" for twelve months before she can be made queen. (Esther)

5. Paul points out in New Testament Romans that "the natural use" of women is to provide men with sex. (Romans)

6. Heaven is to be inhabited by 144,000 virgin men who have not been "defiled" by women. (RE 14:1-4) [One wonders how this squares with God's command to, "Be fruitful and multiply...(Genesis )]

7. A group of sexual depraved men beat on the door of an old man's house demanding that he turn over to them a male house guest. Instead, the old man offers his virgin daughter and his guest's wife: "Behold, here are my virgin daughter and his concubine (wife); let me bring them out now. Ravish them and do with them what seems good to you; but against this man do not do so vile a thing." The women were subsequently ravished and killed. (JG)

8. In Exod. we see that it is permissible to sell one's daughter (but apparently not one's son) into slavery.

9. According to St. Jerome, "Nothing is so unclean as a woman in her periods; what she touches she causes to be unclean." In Leviticus it states, "If a woman conceives and bears a male child, she shall be ceremonially unclean seven days...if she bears a female child she shall be unclean two weeks...."

10. "A woman dropped a stone on his head and cracked his skull. Hurriedly he called to his armor-bearer, 'Draw your sword and kill me, so that they can't say a woman killed me.' So his servant ran him through, and he died." (Judges)

11. Under God's direction, Moses' army kills all the adult males, but they mercifully just take the women and children captive. When Moses learns that they left some women and children alive, he angrily says: "Kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him." Throughout Bible history God is said to demand that thousands, if not millions, of men, women and children be slaughtered. And they are.

12. A man has an obligation to produce a child with his brother's widow. If he refuses, his sister-in-law is to spit in his face in front of the elders. (Deuteronomy 25:5-9) And in case you are Jewish, you may be familiar with the Jewish prayer: "Blessed be the God who has not created me a heathen, a slave or a woman."

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Right so someone claimed Bush said "God told him to do it". Right Just the other day skunknuts you said you were the One True King of the World, i u2u messeage to me..... Weird huh.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Disgust against the mothers!????

Do you think they have any say in this?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet

Right so someone claimed Bush said "God told him to do it". Right Just the other day skunknuts you said you were the One True King of the World, i u2u messeage to me..... Weird huh.

Wait, what? Are u saying that your false statement you, solely, attributed to me has as much validity as the numerously reported sources concerning Bush's beliefs? Did you read and watch all of the links? Other established reporters and world leaders all confirm what Bush said. Also, it isn't outlandish, as Bush is well known to be a born again who wears his religion on his sleeve.

I mean, were not dealing with fringe blogs with an agenda here. It's not the same as the wacko's saying Obama is putting millions into FEMA camps, or is a CIA trained Manchurian candidate.

Best,
Skunknuts

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
This isn't just a religious problem, this is a cultural problem as well. When the head of your religion has sex with a prepubescent girl and deems you should as well, how do the girls ever have a chance? Even worse, we'll raise the women this way, and since Allah condones it, and it happened to them, it'll be o.k. for their daughters as well. Whats almost as bad though, is when apologists /enablers come on here and try and compare it to outdated scriptures written from another religion. Most Chrisitans have moved past this and don't condone any of what was previously mentioned, does this make them hypocrites or just better people? It seems no matter the topic, no matter how sick it is, some disgusting person will come to the thread to be an apologist/enabler and help perpetuate the same actions happening again and again..........truely disgusting.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
Disgust against the mothers!????

Do you think they have any say in this?

Indeed. Their fathers and husbands have all the legal power and all the tools to enforce it.

Those big scarves and long sacks hide beatings and strangulation marks. These guys really seem to like the strangulation thing.

In the name of religion, culture and male dominance this girl was raped to death.

[edit on 2010/4/8 by Aeons]

top topics

join