It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mt. Etna Eruption ~ Local Coverage (latest event: Feb. 19 0500 local time! )

page: 81
<< 78  79  80    82  83  84 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Spectacular but scary. My child is fascinated with the information and pictures you have posted here. He is memorized at how cool the earth is. Are the local officials good about keeping the citizens informed? Are there scientists that are making predictions on what and when?

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Are there scientists that are making predictions on what and when?

There are scientists studying her but she is very hard to predict.
At the moment there is no real sign that Etna will significantly change what she is doing and go to a larger flank eruption. But she will sometime, when? We don't know.
Here is a little more info for you.
What is very interesting is the amount of growth that the new cone has done in the past year. It is still about 60 m lower than the old cone but much fatter. In about another 9 or 10 more lava fountaining episodes it might grow to the same height of the old cone. We have all watched this growth.
A little history
In the 1928 eruption Sant'Alfio (not sure if that is spelt correctly) was threatened by a lava flow. There was a procession with the statue of the protector saint of the village and the lava flow stopped a few km above. The church to Magazzeni was built at the site of the miracle.
The nearby village of Mascali was nearly buried under lava in spite of processions with the local protector saint, S. Leonardo. No lives were lost though so perhaps another miracle. I have seen old photo's of people standing in front of a wall of lava singing and praying but can't find them. It was one of the things that drew me to watch her.
On here we do try to keep things simple with wonderful people, magical photograhy by Silo and not to much complicated words.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Good morning everyone

Quieter today I think, for a while.

Here is how she looked over the last two days.

Small ash emissions and small sporadic explosions over the last two days. I have not seen any sign yet of hot gas heating the surrounding rocks. This usually shows on the cams at night as incandescence.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Tzavros

Hi
Prof.
Would u mind taking a look at:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Your opinion please.

Thank-You

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Hi Bob

At the moment this is a VEI-1 or VEI-2 eruption and at the moment alternating between dome extrusions and ashy explosions. Looks good on the cams. I think the danger of lahars are quite small as the glacier ontop of the volcano has become much smaller over the years. But as will any volcano things can change in minutes.
Residents close to the volcano however are on the alert because of the gas and ash. Throwing it quite high in the air.

edit on 3-5-2012 by Tzavros because: spelling

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
It just keeps getting uglier and uglier.

Today's the festival for the town - the BIG DAY - and the new 'little mouth' is just spewing black and yellow and ugly like it was a hole right to the center a hell.

Ok, how was that for dramatic? LOL. Anyway - it is ugly. It's like the grans Lady is passing wind from down below her skirts.

Oh the pic! Yeah I've got that too - be right back.

In the mean time? For the Festival Sant Alfio? I'm keeping my eyes open on HER.

If She was into revenge today would mark the day for it. Let's hope not.

peace

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
From this morning - local time about 0700

peace

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
A little bit of Strombolian activity happening at the moment.

On the watch

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Calming down again for a while. still thowing up lots of smoke and fine ash but tremore is down again.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Tzavros

Mother's Day - what a day to love her even more the 'Mother' of the island!

I've been keeping an eye on her today - that new 'mouth' was putting out some grunge this morning - but the rest of the day she's been quiet and calm spouting her usual white fluffies!

Happy Mother's Day to you Tzavros and All Mother's who follow the thread.

peace

edit on 13-5-2012 by silo13 because: fix color bbc

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Thank you so much that is sweet.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Incomming,,,

Watch for increased activity at the new vents,,,,

deep rupture will cause an upward force,, snaking it's way through possably new vents ,,, so may be a lot quicker,,,
less resistance,,,,,and faster,,expansion ,,from that depth.
Unless their is already a seam.

Me.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the warning. She is really putting out the 'ugly' today. It's very windy but still visible. I'll be one eye on the Etna and one eye on my work today ready to let you know!

peace and thanks again

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

your welcome,, unless,, Tavrous?? sorry probably, spelt wrong,,
is picking up anything,,
should be ok,,

Me.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Another quake today at Etna. Epicenter between Fiumefreddo and Calatabiano, magnitude 2.1 9 km depth, at 20:48 local time. That's 3 in the same place and 7 in less than 48 hours. No other signs at the moment.

From Turi
Nuova scossa di terremoto poco fa sull'Etna. Epicentro nella stessa zona dei due della notte scorsa e dei quattro di ieri. Epicentro tra Fiumefreddo e Calatabiano, magnitudo 2.1 profondità 9 km, alle 20.48 ora locale (18.48 UTC).
A questo punto sono sette scosse in meno di 48 ore... significa qualcosa?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Tzavros

hello,
your graphs ,,,,siezmic,frequency, lava flow,,,charting, access ,,still down?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

No not down, nothing unusual at this time.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Are we gearing up for something?

The new 'vent' has been spewing ugliness all morning. I don't know what it is about that thing but - love the Volcano and hate that new vent. It's gross. I wish She'd get rid of it!

Anyway - it's 'doing' at that new 'bocca' - not sure I'd call it 'active' but it's doing.

Eyes wide open here...

peace
edit on 19-5-2012 by silo13 because: typo

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
13:30 local time -

She's putting out a LOT of steam - lower down some ashy like (darker) steam. Also that preternatural silence has set in. I wouldn't be surprised if we have some action later. I'm not predicting, just saying. If my dog was freaking I'd be predicting, lol, she's been right twice now.

peace

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

She looks dark and cross. Not pretty. Stats still ok at the mometn.

new topics

top topics

<< 78  79  80    82  83  84 >>

join