It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mt. Etna Eruption ~ Local Coverage (latest event: Feb. 19 0500 local time! )

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Mclaneinc

I'm not doubting the OP but it seems a bit weird that one of the worlds best known volcano's does not get a mention any place?

I have to agree with another contributor to this thread who stated you'd probably not hear anything about Etna until she started to really pump out the lava and cause doom and destruction. No one (but me it seems) wanted to fill up camera and typing time with just a blow off of ash and steam. (I asked around and many others who witnessed the 'blow' stated it was a mix of steam and ash and sand).

Oh - Another reason I jumped so quick is - With Etna you can never tell - you just never know.
Like others have posted - who've also seen it first hand - she starts out with a little 'poof' and next thing you know the sky is falling and lava is pouring like dark beer at a Biergarten.

Also, with the whole hype that went on last week over the undersea volcano to the North of Sicily and the belief that when it blows Sicily will be wiped out along with Calabria? You can see how I'd feel this story fell nicely into place. And that story was only supposition! No movement going on at all...

So for now she's given us warning - letting us know she's still alive and well and ready to go. Passed some pressure, blown off some sand - But after the earthquake we had a few days ago (4.3 last week) and now this? Who knows what kind of trouble she might be brewing up. Could be a whole mountains worth of disaster and drama.
Whatever it is, it will happen soon - Etna doesn't stay quiet for long.
Ever.

peace

[edit on 9-4-2010 by silo13]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Here's what shows as 'action' this morning on the RSOE site.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7405841fa7aa.jpg[/atsimg]

Looks like everything in the area is stirred up...

EDIT TO ADD: The yellow volcano symbol directly in the middle of the picture, surrounded by the little earthquake symbols - that's Etna...

peace

[edit on 9-4-2010 by silo13]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Great updates thank you...
Wow...the earth is very active(maybe angry!) right now. Hope Mt. St. Helen's is not next! We already went through scare of it's activity not to long ago. Luckily it just spewed as Etna is doing. So hopefully it won't get worse.
...also the SuperVolcano under Yellowstone, gotta watch out for that.

Some Say Mt. Etna(I'll have to look that up) has the the Ark of the Covenant somewhere on it..

[edit on 9-4-2010 by dreamingawake]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Mt. Etna blows, but mt. Fuji rocks!

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Hey guys n gals..
Cheers for this !!
I haven't read the whole thread so i'm not sure if this has been put up before but i found a site with webcams on mount Etna..

WebCam Etna

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Slippery roads and damage to broccoli is the least of your worries.

The ash contains minute, tiny and very sharp razor like shards.

These are obviously breathed into your lungs, and the tiny knives start slicing up the inner surface of the lungs and respiratory tract.

Not good.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I also remember Etna doing the same thing while I was there... blowing up black smoke one minute and then a couple hours later you would never know anything happened. That volcano can be quite tricky when she wants to be, and unfortunately it can cause fatalities.

While I was there in '79, one of her tricky moments caught a large group of tourists by surprise... and 9 people were killed. It was a very sad day for all of us on the island.

news.google.com...

"There were about 30 tourists in our group, and we all began running toward the bus. But then another big rock hit a woman who was ahead of me, and the next minute, she was gone..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, here is a little background info on Etna by geology. com...

(edit to remove a link that was already posted on page 2 by ni91ck)

[edit on 9-4-2010 by misfitoy]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by bnoe50

California and the Baja Peninsula will disappear during a series of intense earthquakes. San Francisco, Los Angeles and Santa Barbara will be only a few of notable cities that will not exist afterwards. The Pacific Ocean will cover the western part of the US up to Arizona and Nebraska. Both will have ocean harbors towns." (edgar cayce)

Nebraska sits smack dab in the middle of the US. I don't understand how on Earth Nebraska will end up with beaches without Nevada, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Oregon, and Idaho falling into the ocean first. Arizona? Maybe. Nebraska? Doubtful. Why would he ruin such a possible prediction with such an outlandish claim? Am I missing something? Just curious.

Cheers,
Strype

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
[

[edit on 9-4-2010 by jenaphar1111]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
This is not a hoax...

scienceblogs.com...

...also confirmed by my brother who is geologist.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
According to one commenter on science blogs it did happen:

It sure did, at least according to Boris (and he should know), but it wasn't new magma being erupted. Instead it was pulverized pieces of rock in an old conduit - pretty common at volcanoes like Etna.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Oh. Your pictures are outstanding. Just gorgeous. Great work, on getting this up so quickly and thank you.

(More pics maybe? Please.)

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Just going to say it's not that hard to "predict" that the world's most active volcano is going to erupt.

As for the OP, keep your electronics safe if the ash starts falling in your area
Having gone through several major eruptions here in Alaska, ash fall is a serious PITA. It's also a quick death for electronic equipment if it's been exposed to it.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by Portugoal

Interesting stuff. Keep us updated as it is not on the news yet. How far away are you right now?

Pictures are from my roof - I'm lucky she's in my backyard.

Will keep the updates coming.

peace

Hey I can see too. I am gonna try to go and get some pictures. I've been out all day and didn't see or feel anything. It was a lovely day. The sky is a funny color now, but it is dusk. Its quiet now but everything seems to be waiting for something.
I hope its not a big deal.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

This wasn't ignored actually, I saw it on the news not long after it happened. they just screwed the name up because they couldn't say it. There wasn't much on it really, just a little short 30-second thing. I agree, though, that it should have gotten more attention. But then if that one didn't get much attention then neither should this one.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Apologies if this has already been linked, but check out this article regarding The Marsili volcano!

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Looks like this was just posted in RSOE. Makes it official?

An ash eruption occurred at the summit of Mt Etna volcano, Italy on 8th April 2010. The eruption occurred at the lower east flank of the Southeast Crater. The eruption increased the crater from 10 m to 50 m. The eruptions were preceded by a series of earthquakes at the Pernicana fault on 2nd April. This was the first time in 6 years that earthquakes occurred in this location on Mt Etna (NE flank). The largest earthquake was magnitude 4.2. Ground cracking occurred adjacent to Ragabo mountain hut. Mareneve road, which links the town of Linguaglossa to the tourist area of Piano Provenzana, was fractured in two locations. The earthquake focus was at a depth of 1 km, and surface fractures occurred over a distance of 1 km. At a location 1 km up slope from Ragabo mountain hut, there was vertical displacement of the ground by 20 cm.

LINK

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Dude! You sure get around don't you? Never thought I'd see you here. I'm nearby and I hope that ash keeps going to the sea. Lots of nastiness that stuff can do. I got enough issues already without having a roof full of heavy ash. But still, a belch now and then beats an earth-shattering flow after a peaceful period.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Thanks for your amazing fast and hard work silo13, also glad that you are fine and not too, too close to the eruption, pictures are also amazing.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Nice find, Westcoast

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join