It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mt. Etna Eruption ~ Local Coverage (latest event: Feb. 19 0500 local time! )

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

oh oh u just made silo13 mad,,,,
runnnnn ,,,,
edit on 9-7-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

silo lives right by there, and by using beautiful, no one is being insensitive.
there is no doubt that natures many wonders are beautiful.
being beautiful has nothing to do with whether they are deadly or not.
something can be both.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CodyOutlaw

I totally get that but,
I just wonder how beautiful it will be when hot ash starts raining down on the local villagers.
To them?
I don't think it will be considered "beautiful" at all.
To you?
I'm sure it is gorgeous from the comfort of your living room.

The beauty of a natural disaster is directly proportional to the distance from said disaster at the time of discovered beauty.

Make sense?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
MOTHER NATURE IS BEAUTIFUL!!! She holds the power over all of us. We are at her comand. We choose to live in places most sacret and BEAUTIFUL to watch her BEAUTY and Magesty.

Folks CHOOSE to live where they do!

If you can not see that dear Troll. Find a differant bridge to hide under.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

I'll bet you the people who are actually living underneath the damn thing don't think it is "beautiful"!!!

I do live underneath Her and She is beautiful.

And yes, She is a She. Volcanoes are the Mother's of new land giving birth every time they exploded.

I just wonder how beautiful it will be when hot ash starts raining down on the local villagers.
To them?

Reminds me of what I saw yesterday. An aged woman was walking to the market with an umbrella to protect her from the 'rain-ahhh' (phonetic Sicilian for the ashy sand Etna spews) - So, someone asked her what she thought of all the 'fall out' - she laughed and replied 'It gives me an excuse to use my new beautiful umbrella'.

Etna is what gives this area some of the richest soil in the world. Considering the community is a farming community Etna is, if anything revered. The drawbacks? When produce is ready for marketing and there's a good lot drop of the gritty ash it can be ruinous. Especially for spinach and broccoli, etc. But, that's life.

I appreciate your taking the time to post your opinion but honestly I feel you're trying at exactly what you're condemning - judging from your front-room with no real grasp of Etna's reality and the reality of living under a volcano.

Thanks

edit on 9-7-2011 by silo13 because: too early in the morning

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by Screwed

I'll bet you the people who are actually living underneath the damn thing don't think it is "beautiful"!!!

I do live underneath it.

And She IS beautiful.

Just sayin.

peace

She sure is beautiful.

People who don't live, or chose not to live, alongside Mother Nature's major tantrums (volcanoes, quakes, etc) will never understand why we choose to stay

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Yes, I choose to stay also. Strange, it's only in the last couple of weeks I've had any 'negativity' coming through into my life concerning Etna. I've had a couple of dreams of her doing a BIG explosion - as in a killing event. Had two, that was that, and now they're over (seemingly). That and having to wash out my veggies - and the airport closings are pretty much as bad as it gets, lol. More than worth the cost to view her Beauty.

Then there was this morning! Thinking I might be able to get a good 'shot' this morning - Sunday no less? I as up at 0415 getting ready. No way. She's buttoned up and now flowing a thing this morning when last night half the mountain was on fire!!!

Thanks!

peace

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anmarie96
MOTHER NATURE IS BEAUTIFUL!!! She holds the power over all of us. We are at her comand. We choose to live in places most sacret and BEAUTIFUL to watch her BEAUTY and Magesty.

Folks CHOOSE to live where they do!

If you can not see that dear Troll. Find a differant bridge to hide under.

I love how having an opinion that you disagree with makes me a troll.
REALLY?
WOW!

To the OP,
I didn't realize you lived nearby.
Apparently there is a whole culture that I don't understand.
I only know what "I" would be thinking right now and "beautiful" isn't one of them.
To each his own I suppose.

I just don't understand the mentality of being labeled a troll for having and expressing my thoughts and opinions.
Simple minded approach if you ask me.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Thanks for those photos - I've got to get into a good web cam but I've not had much luck so far.

Do you have a link for that one? The one I have is down at the moment.

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by misfitoy

Etna is so beautiful to look at and a mean mountain to live near.

I too was stationed there in 1976 and again in 1984.

Climbed near the top and dang near froze to death when what was a clear warm blue sky day when suddenly the mountain was enveloped in clouds from nowhere and the temperature dropped about 40 degrees in less than 20 minutes and it started snowing!This was Labor Day 1976(in the states).We all took refuge in the door way of the power station and two brave souls took off for the ski Chalet(yes, they ski on Etna) and a four wheel drive bus came down and rescued us fools.

Later in 1984 again on Labor Day a group of us went on a hike in a park on the slopes near Catania and walked out of the tree line up the lower slopes when lava rocks started rolling down from the top!I picked up one larger than a soft ball and it was still warm to the touch.Dang Cyclops was throwing stones at us.I still have it all these years later too.Never give away a freshly made rock is my motto.
I have always had a affection for this beast and a respect for it too.
I continually think of those warm wonderful people I came to know on Sicily especially Taormina which is located on the coast between Catania and Messina.
I pray it is nothing major.OP good job in reporting this issue!

edit on 10-7-2011 by IamJustanAmerican because: corrected misspelling

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Sorry for the wait.

www.radiostudio7.it...

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by IamJustanAmerican

Dang Cyclops was throwing stones at us.I still have it all these years later too.Never give away a freshly made rock is my motto.

Now THIS is someone who understands our Etna.

She'll welcome you home any time you're ready to come back!

She's been quiet this morning/afternoon. I'm waiting for this evening - we'll see we'll see!

peace and thanks

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
She's off again
Etna

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Tzavros

Amazing images!

Thanks for the "heads up"!

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Silo, are you out there tonight? If so keep safe.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Afternoon news stated to keep your eyes open to Etna over the next week. Vulcanologist are reporting there's a a 'better than not' chance for 'more eruption' than what we had a week ago (see pictures above). They're NOT warning of the 'big one' - just more action.

I haven't been able to find anything on line to back it up, but, like I said it was in the local (Sicilian) news broadcast.

Let me see if there's a website for that channel? Maybe I can find something there.

So, I'll stock up on batteries and keep you all posted!

peace

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Follow up to my last post:

Here’s the link I promised and some screen shots of the video in progress.

Telecolor7 - Etna - Possible eruption at new 'mouth/hole' site in the next week or more.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d73a785adb92.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/06c989793006.jpg[/atsimg]

So - eyes open and batteries ready here just in case.

peace

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
As glorious as our planet/solar system is....how can people believe there is no creator/maker/God? I don't need a B.I.B.L.E. or 'religion' to tell me that something made all this...i just need to SEE; and what a sight to behold. I dont know about you...but i thank the Creator for this beautiful land we live on. Our solar system...is God's snow globe!

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Etna 'New Crater'

Click link to view photo!

On the evening of 13 July 2011, two colleagues of the INGV-Catania and I drove to the summit of Etna to assess the situation, and we were thoroughly rewarded.

We had not seen such activity within Etna's summit craters since more than 10 years - but the most spectacular activity in the Bocca Nuova occurred between 1997 and 1999, culminating with the complete filling of the crater, and voluminous lava overflows onto the western flank of Etna.

With this, Etna seems to be re-establishing its classical "persistent" summit activity, though nobody knows at the moment whether the Southeast Crater will continue to produce its episodic paroxysms or what else may happen in the near future. Certainly, this activity is a wonderful show, and it might help to attract tourists, even though access to the summit craters is formally prohibited except for volcanologists and mountain guides.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Any more news Silo? I've been following this thread for days now
you are brave to take those wonderful photos, thanks for sharing them, do take care though!

My step sister lived in Catania for years, she said when Etna blew back in the early 1980s, that their washing would be covered with ash for 2 years afterwards

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join