It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A License Required for your house

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

by Benevolent Heretic
baphomet420 is right. Any time I've sold a house, I had to have it inspected and make repairs before it sold.

baphomet420 is not right. And usually any 'repairs' are negotiable, so if you got stuck with paying for all of them...

I have bought, sold, and built lots of properties. The only time I had an inspector there was when I built Casa Mishigas, and those were to make sure the place was up to code. Every other inspector was COMPLETELY VOLUNTARY and paid for by the buyer (home inspections). Home inspections are not required by agencies except by banks. Banks do require an assessment, but that is not the same thing as an inspection. That is usually paid for by the buyer also, but once again it can be negotiated into the details of the transaction.

I do know that some low income goverment financing ( FHA? ) require an inspection but I have never used that financing. As for who pays for it, I would think that would be entirely negotiable between the buyer and seller.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

well, I have only lived in two places in my life...
both have required the inspections...

and you say that you build houses???
you obviously have not built any houses in RECENT history...

i do not know of ANYWHERE, that does not require inspections when you build a house...
every town/city will have a separate set of rules regarding this...

and builders that do take advantage of the tax deductions for energy star home also have to have a government inspector come in and test the energy efficiency...

the town that I live in requires that all homes built meet the energy star ratings...

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by baphomet420

New houses usually require an inspection to make sure its built to code before a certificate of occupancy can be issued by local government. I think what's being talked about here is when an existing home is sold by owner, not builder. It's not the same thing. Buyer can get an inspection if he wants one. Seller can agree or not agree to make repairs, as poster above said. Lenders don't usually require one, but they do require an appraisal, which may lead to some repairs. VA/FHA loans generally require a termite report, which can also lead to some repairs, but that's about it.

Edit to add--this is in my area of my state. Don't know about elsewhere.

[edit on 4/9/2010 by Pauligirl]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   

You are talking about NEW construction. I have personally built in the past 6 years multimillion dollar residential and commercial sites.

This discussion has NOTHING to do with NEW construction. It has to do with existing construction and what codes you will have to follow when selling older homes.

Sorry, you are mistaken what the discussion is about. It is about the CAP and TAX bill.

Read it, because WHEN it passes, you will be following California Building Codes. You think inspections where you are at are draconian, if you like to build homes without sprinkler systems, have fun.

Sorry, I researched that bill and it has provisions to follow California Code. Now, California code is starting to implement things like whole house sprinkler systems, telephone line hookups to thermostats (gov controls your energy usage) on existing homes. Period!

Anyone NOT familiar with California codes, is speaking out there ass.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   

by baphomet720
well, I have only lived in two places in my life...
both have required the inspections...

and you say that you build houses???
you obviously have not built any houses in RECENT history...

i do not know of ANYWHERE, that does not require inspections when you build a house...
every town/city will have a separate set of rules regarding this...

I didn't say I built houses, as in a vocation... I said I built my last home ( acted as the general contractor ). And that was in 1996. Before that, I bought pre-owned homes, just like about 80% of us.

You need to obtain an occupancy permit to move into new construction. And you need the routine inspections along the way, as in plumbing, electrical, etc. Those are required by various agencies from your local municipality up to the Feds, in some cases. I never said I didn't need those inspections when I built Casa Mishigas. Those inspections cannot be evaded.

As far as Energy Star, I have not had experience with them yet.

But to imply that any home bought and sold requires an inspection mandated by the goverment is just flat wrong. I bought a condo for cash, no bank or inspector involved. That is just one example.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by baphomet420
wow...
you all do realize that in most cities, this already happens right???

its just now going to be federal for everywhere...

when you sell your house, an inspector pays a visit...

you will usually get something back like replacing windows, doors to meet modern codes...
you must replace that carpet because it smells like cat piss, etc...

this changes absolutely nothing for MOST of the population...

consider it consumer protection...

a free market in a society that is riddled with greed DOES NOT WORK...
people and companies have to be FORCED to do whats right..

sad but true...

am I the only one who believes this besides the current administration, or is everyone who thinks like me being silent???

Incorrect! A few years ago I made a career change and became a home inspector and energy auditor. Ironically, I am a memebr of interNACHI (The source of the article), ASHI, NAHI and half a dozen other groups. Homeowners are NOT required to upgrade anything to make it code compliant. Often, the house was built before the codes were enacted and are grandfathered in. Home inspections are to satisfy lending requirements and give the buyer a peace-of-mind. It has NOTHING to do with code enforcement or energy efficiency.

<< 1   >>

join