It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Haunted Locations From Around The World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I stumbled across this list after looking for a specific haunted location that I wanted to look into and research a little bit more.

But I’m actually quite glad I found this list now as it showed me and in some detail I might add some of the most (allegedly) haunted locations from around the world.

Also it would be great to hear any stories you may have about any of these locations or even better any personal experiences (something which I would expect with Gettysburg specifically)

Enjoy!

No. 10: Gettysburg, Pennsylvania...

Terrifying visions and horrible scenes of the atrocities of a Civil War. Battlefields, houses, lonely roads and shallow entrenchments all still bear the tell-tale marks of three days of gore and terror that seared themselves into the collective memory of America.
(Read more here)

No. 9: Unit 731 Experimentation Camp, Harbin, Manchuria, China...

“It is called the Asian Auschwitz and, in terms of inhumanity and horror, it certainly warrants this description. Yet there remains a fundamental difference with the crimes perpetrated by the Nazis against Jews: While Germany has shown deep contrition and remorse, the leaders the country that spawned the evil of Unit 731 still struggle to come to grips with what occurred . . . In the end at least 3,000 prisoners, mainly Chinese, were killed directly, with a further 250,000 Chinese left to die through the biological warfare experiments.”
(Read more here)

No. 8: Whitechapel/Spittalfields, London East End, London, England...

The Whitechapel / Spittalfields area of East London has been actively settled since Roman times. Many of the historic buildings are built on the remains of old Roman settlements. Throughout the Dark and Middle Ages, the East End was a burgeoning commerce area, mostly inhabited by Anglos and Jewish moneylenders. In Elizabethan times the East End looked and smelled like something right out of one of Shakespeare’s history plays, and, in fact, the character of Falstaff (Henry V) is said to have been based on an innkeeper from the notorious East End. It was a place of soldiers and prostitutes, brawls and bawdy houses.
(Read more here)

No. 7: Auschwitz-Birkenau Concentration Camp, Oswiecim, Poland...

Auschwitz death camp was in operation from May 1940 until its liberation by Soviet forces in January 1945. It is estimated that 2.1 to 2.5 million people were killed in the gas chambers during that time, of whom 2 million were Jews and the remainder were Poles, Gypsies and Soviet POWs. But this estimate is considered by historians to be strictly a minimum, because the total number of deaths at Auschwitz and its sister camp Birkenau can never really be known.
(Read more here)

No. 6: Walachia, Transylvania, Romania...

“Perhaps the only place I felt Dracula’s presence was on a long, curving road that twists over the Transylvanian Alps. The area is so remote and impenetrable that no major road crossed this often stormy mountain pass until 1974. As my car climbed into the mist, traffic disappeared, and the radio stopped working. The road passes a dam and a hydroelectric plant guarded by a handful of soldiers standing alone in the gloom. And at the bottom of the road are the ruins of a castle.
(Read more here)

No. 5: Coliseum, Rome, Italy...

At the height of Rome’s power the Coliseum represented everything that was Imperial to the citizens of Rome. Gladiators would fight to the death here for the amusement of Caesar and the mobs; thousands of prisoners of war and victims of religious persecution met their end in the jaws of lions and tigers in the sandy arena of the Coliseum; and even those animals were decimated, for in its time the Coliseum consumed tens of thousands of animals, some reportedly driven into extinction by the Roman lust for blood and gore.
(Read more here)

No. 4: Underground Vaults, Edinburgh, Scotland...

Far below the busy streets of modern Edinburgh lies a dark, forgotten corner of history. Discovered in the mid-1980’s, the Edinburgh Vaults had been abandoned for nearly two hundred years. Lying beneath the South Bridge, a major Edinburgh passage, the rooms were used as cellars, workshops and even as residences by the businesses that plied their trade on the busy bridge above. Abandoned soon after they were built due to excessive water and moisture, the vaults remain, unaltered, never illuminated by the light of day.
(Read more here)

No. 3: Aokigahara Forest, Japan...

Aokigahara (青木ヶ原?), also known as the Sea of Trees (樹海, Jukai), is a forest that lies at the base of Mount Fuji in Japan. The caverns found in this forest are rocky and ice-covered annually. It has been claimed by local residents and visitors that the woods are host to a great amount of paranormal phenomena. It is an old ancient forest reportedly haunted by many urban historical legends of strange beasts, monsters, ghosts, and goblins, which add to its serious and sinister reputation.
(Read more here)

No. 2: Haunted New Orleans, Louisiana...

Haunted New Orleans is by far considered by locals, visitors and paranormal investigators world wide as actually the most haunted and No. # 1 Haunted City in all the United States. With all the past and present spiritual activity taking place in this central plot The haunted French Quarter - transcendent, dark, and in between two worlds - most who witness this City for all it's worth of supernatural origins.
(Read more here)

No. 1: Catacombs, Paris, France...

Long ago, as the city of Paris grew, it became necessary to provide more space for the living. To do so, engineers and planners decided to move the mass of humanity least likely to protest: in this case, the dead. Millions of Parisian dead were quietly disinterred in one of the largest engineering feats in history and their remains were deposited along the walls of the chilly, dank passageways lying beneath the City of Light. They lie there to this day, in the eternal darkness, an Empire of the Dead.
(Read more here)

[edit on 8-4-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
All the places and information you've listed certainly sound grim and as if they'd evoke paranormal activity, even in full daylight

but the most haunted/paranormally-inclined place I'm personally aware of is an attractive modern house in the middle of a family-type neighbourhood just minutes from the beach, in the centre of one of Australia's most popular tourist resorts

It had the lot, as far as ghosties and hobgoblins go. Gave us the creepiest five or so years of our lives

Few years later, we bought another house a little further along the same street -- and it had its share of high-weirdness too

Yet the sun shines there on average, over 300 days of the year. It's a real family suburb -- kids playing, neat lawns and gardens, well-maintained houses, low crime rate, above average income, parks, lakes, shiny cars

No known history to explain it either. Before being developed as a residential neighbourhood, it had been typical, coastal sand and scrub for thousands of years. No previous habitation

Only possible explanation I can think of, is that the region is very possibly a network of underground rivers which drain run-off from the mountains at the back, into the sea. It's been theorised that intersections of subterranean water-courses can render locations 'paraormally-inclined', can disrupt the concentration etc. of humans on the surface, above such intersections. A large, extinct volcano exists some 50 or so kilometres away and dyes introduced to streams emerging from that volcano have reappeared (in reputedly 'bottomless' lakes) quite close to the suburban neighbourhood in question, so there's a lot going-on beneath our feet than is always realised

The common wisdom is that locations with gruesome and bloody histories (and graveyards, for some reason) are automatic magnets for the paranormal, but in my experience, this isn't always the case

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

The common wisdom is that locations with gruesome and bloody histories (and graveyards, for some reason) are automatic magnets for the paranormal, but in my experience, this isn't always the case

It's a popular idea it seems, and I can fully understand why people would”assume2 cemeteries to be teeming with paranormal activity and it does make sense that spirits would be there simply because of what a cemetery is etc. but I’ve found in my experiences also it really isn't as active as people think.

Activity like you say does tend to happen in everyday normal houses that look perfectly normal from the outside.

Alot of the cases in my opening post seem to be absolutely full of odd occurrences it seems especially since the history of most of them also.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Dock9 good point but if it was on a beach area the Aboriginal could have some thing to do with it because i live close to the stockton beach and there was Burial sites in the dunes.Just a idea.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I really want to go visit New Orleans, though after Katrina I'm not sure of its current state. The catacombs in Paris are extremely interesting, if i remember correctly they found a video camera in there someone took while exploring the catacombs and they suddenly drop the camera and run off. Then again it could have been a hoax, it was years ago.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsAgentScully

This is a bit off topic, but please PLEASE visit New Orleans if you'd like to go there as a tourist. As they recover from Katrina, they need all of the tourism dollars they can get. It's a beautiful city, still -- that is working hard to recover. You'll have an excellent time there and I can vouch for the haunted atmosphere. That city feels like no other and many of the ghost tours are excellent.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SalvationJane
reply to post by ItsAgentScully

This is a bit off topic, but please PLEASE visit New Orleans if you'd like to go there as a tourist. As they recover from Katrina, they need all of the tourism dollars they can get. It's a beautiful city, still -- that is working hard to recover. You'll have an excellent time there and I can vouch for the haunted atmosphere. That city feels like no other and many of the ghost tours are excellent.

I've been wanting to go for so long. When i have the time I'll make plans to spend some time down there.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

No Tower of London? I thought that was the most haunted place in the UK. And what about the Winchester house? Or the Bell Witch house?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

there is no bell witch house anymore. there is a bell witch cave tho.. winchester house is definately mysterious and likely could have a ghost or two and the tower of london is a definate haunted location.

to the OP: im curious, what place where you looking for information on?

and to name of few of my own personal favorites. Villisca Axe Murder house in Iowa, McPike Mansion in Illinois, Lemp Mansion in St. Louis and the Myrtles Plantation in St. Francisville, Louisana...

[edit on 15-4-2010 by TheCoffinman]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
One thing that's always interested me is why do places like Gettysburg full of ghosts, yet Antietam seems to lack any kind of activity. Furthermore, you'd think Hiroshima and Nagasaki would be filled with ghosts, yet I've never heard of any reports coming from these places. It really makes you wonder what the conditions must be for a haunting to begin.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Well if I’m honest I’ve never been to the Underground Vaults, Edinburgh, Scotland but from what I’ve read I’m sure they are by far more haunted than the tower of London.

In fact in my opinion the tower of London may very well be haunted but it has more fame than anything else and more people have heard of that being a haunted location maybe more than anywhere else in the whole of the UK.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

to the OP: im curious, what place where you looking for information on?

Number 4 on this list....Underground Vaults, Edinburgh, Scotland.

From the sounds of it it's a hugely haunted and eerie location with a very interesting history and definitely somewhere I’d love to check out for myself.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

No Bell Witch house anymore? I really need to brush up on my famous ghosts.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

I figured you might find this interesting.

The Bell Witch - Official Website

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Saw a brief article in the UK news yesterday, naming Yorkshire the 'most haunted' in Britain, by quite a margin. No surprise to me

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Well it aint on the list.

But in all seriousness Yorkshire does seem so to be quite heavily haunted tbh I mean just research it and you can come up with hundreds of different and interesting sightings here.

I've found quite a few as well in the village I’m living in right now!

Some literally right around the corner from where I'm typing this. lol

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Spooky sightings of ghouls, ghosts and evil spirits are higher than they have been in the past 25 years, according to a new report on haunted Britain.

There have been nearly 1,000 reports of demonic activity in the past quarter of a century, with Yorkshire the nation's most ghostly county.

Encounters with devils, demons and evil spirits are as widespread today as they were in medieval times, researchers claim.

Top 10 ghostly sightings by area:

1 Yorkshire 74

2 Devonshire 57

3 Somerset 51

4 Wiltshire 46

5 Inverness 39

6 Dorset 37

7 = Norfolk 32

7 = Lancashire 32

8 = Sussex 30

8 = Derbyshire 30

9 = Essex 29

9 = Suffolk 29

10 Lincolnshire 24

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Actually I came across that yesterday randomly on about.com here

And again it really is no surprise.

And I think i read it somewhere else but can't find where.

new topics

top topics

join