It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Object Defies Astronomical Classification

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

You're right but even if we do find a goldilox planet that is even 50-100 light years away we do not have the technology to go there yet. The best thing I could think of, and I've always had this in my head since a child, was to send a ship that uses little fuel (if any, maybe only to control inside panels and backup systems), and is propelled by solar energy. Basically this concept has already been designed and the craft would speed up and keep increasing in speed over time.

So with such a ship of this sort, you would make it big enough (build it in space most likely) to hold a fairly large crew that could survive long enough to get to said planet or galaxy or what have you, and sustain themselves on growing food hydroponically, and having their own water treatment on board to allow for continuous fresh water. These people would be trained in sciences of all sorts, have kids on these ships, teach them what they know and whatever they have brought with them (books and dvds and whatever else was up to date at the time of their leaving, especially how to repair the ship etc.), and the cycle would continue until they got to where they were going. After they got to wherever they'd either settle there, or do their research and send some sort of craft back towards earth until it was close enough to relay signals that would send the data back to us all. This would take a very long time, but it would be a way of advancing space exploration... the only thing is, is that these people would live and die doing this, and so would their generations of children, but it would not be in vein.

I don't know how feasible this idea is, but it sounds OK to me, hell, I would do this with no problem - I would love to donate my life to finding a new place for humans to settle, or to find ET life, or whatever my mission is... it would be an incredible life and it would be worth the devotion in my eyes.

Originally posted by TheWretched
Took less then 5 posts for someone to make this about aliens.Wow this site is getting cookier and cookier every week.
Must be a full moon or something......

This is in the "Space Exploration" forums, and this is a conspiracy website, what do you expect? Go to another site devoted completely to science if you don't wish to read peoples opinions about ET life.

[edit on 8/4/2010 by highlyoriginal]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Does anyone Remember this? (Earth 2 TV series) How did it end?

en.wikipedia.org...(TV_series)

[edit on 8-4-2010 by wayaboveitall]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by bharata

Luc Arnold, a French astronomer, has suggested that aliens might signal us with giant shadow puppets. Possibly inspired by NASA's Kepler mission, which uses a space-based telescope to find small planets by the slight dimming they induce when passing in front of their home stars, Arnold opined that the aliens might produce a simple signal that Kepler – or something like it – could easily find. A signal that's always "on the air."

So... what would the technicalities be for the aliens to actually easily do this on a star scale? Like if humans wanted to do this with our star?

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
sorry if this has already been said " thats no small moon , its a space station"

Yeh so what if this is similar to Phobos , and is large and light , and has internal "structures" , much like phobos with its proposed large internal voids !

it may have the similar origins to phobos !

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

Attempting to travel by conventional means would make this all but impossible, even if we could travel at the speed of light it would take more than 4 years to get to the nearest star. What if we got there only to discover that there is nothing for us to live on? It would be another 4+ years travel to get back but then consider that the Earth has aged way beyond these travelers, it would be a wasted trip for everyone.

For anyone to even consider doing such a thing we would first need to discover a faster than light means of communication. Imagine having a conversation with someone from Proxima Centauri (4.2 LY) using standard radio communication. It would take well over 8 years before you received a reply. This won't work.

Before we attempt speed of light travel we need to figure out a faster than light communication. Perhaps once we figure out how to communicate way beyond the speed of light we will realize that other (alien) species are already doing this and we can finally say hello.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Well. I think it's a large planetary size mass that was passing through. Caught in the gravity of the Brown Dwarf it is now in orbit.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

Could it be a dyson sphere that is under construction???

If it was, it could explain why it appears to be so young and yet so big!

Dyson Sphere [wiki]

If it was identified as a dyson sphere, then the question about ET's would suddenly become a very MOOT POINT!

Personal Disclosure: Oh and as regards the technology to reach those distances involved... well that existed in the 1950's!

Project Orion (nuclear propulsion) [wiki]

Edited spelling fail

[edit on 9-4-2010 by OmegaLogos]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by rizla

Intuitive knowingness is far above the dynamics of left brain, rationalism. Common sense is a useful tool, however some view intuition as supreme. If you do not, well thats your choice I suppose and I wish you the best of luck.

Namaste

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Devino

Well now heres a thought...Im no mathmatical whiz or anything..heck I cant hardly even do a proper algebra problem..but I am always reading of all things in the
Quantum" world of physics an can understand the basic concept of some ideas. In the Quantum world there is a theory or idea called spooky action at a distance...whereas its theorized ( and I belive somewhat confirmed) two atoms a good distance apart will both behave the same way when when only one of them is altered or acted upon. and apparently distance is of no concern for this phenom. What if we could somehow use this quantum characteristic and try to send "Quantum Morse Code" messages to possible planets or where we think a Civilisation might be? I know I know...waaaaayy long off from even knowing where or how to try to do this..BUT ...it would techically be faster than light communication..and even if our civilisations wouldnt be able to physically experience each other..we could at least pass to each other knowledge and information. Think of what amazing ideas and technology we could learn. Or perhaps find out if our earths religions have any true validation or are local to just us..Imgaine if we found out that other civilisations also belive in God and had their own Jesus or their own Allah and Muhhammed? or whatever else there is? lol..I almost make myself crack up at the thought of using "Quantum Morse Code"...well it seems like a possible idea anyway...I may be a nutball..but at least Im thinking outside the box.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Maybe this is a ship? Interesting if it's near the Pleiades... I've been recieving a lot of Pleiadean content in meditation recently.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I think there is sooooo much we do NOT understand, nor eve can comprehend. As days go by, many will claim they understand will come to light... but I think with the speed of transfer information (internet) more and more will come to light and maybe within the next 100 years or so we look back and see how we knew so little in this enormous universe that we missed the bigger picture!

Instead killing one another on this little rock (war, control, power, etc.. )which can be compared to a grain of sand just in our own galaxy, we can be exploring the wonderful mysterious universe...

I'm hoping this will come sooner.. then later.. otherwise we might destroy each other before we even had a chance to leave this rock...

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
As I said in the opening post I do not think there is a direct connection between the discovery and alien life but I though the idea was interesting because it opens up the idea that there may be another method or methods for interstellar communication.

I also think Arnold meant a technology that could mimic the type of signal that we look for when hunting planets.

Some good answers so far...

The image on the right is because the main star was removed to show the companion more clearly, am I right?

Also the explanation that it might be a wanderer that got captured by the gravity of the star, this is feasible in my mind but its too light to be a brown dwarf and too young to be a planet formed by the normal means.

Now near the end of the article...

The presence of another nearby binary system, of a red star and a brown dwarf, supports Luhman’s theory. It seems to have been formed around the same time as the mystery pair, indicating that all four may have formed the same way, as stars. “This configuration — two tight pairs that are widely separated from each other — is called a hierarchical configuration and is commonly seen in quadruple star systems,” Luhman said. Read More www.wired.com...

Source

So my best guesses at the moment is that what we see here is a star about to be born? a failed star or something we have never witnessed or thought of before.

I posted this here because I like the feedback from open minded people and do not mind speculation, I find it entertaining.

Here is another quote I find interesting.

"Why waste time looking for old-style radio signals," many people have written me, "when the aliens will be shooting neutrinos our way?" Neutrinos are one of many types of suggestions for "weird SETI" that make sense, but perhaps not overwhelming sense. These ghostly particles have the advantage of barreling right through such petty obstacles as planets, which means you don't have to worry much about where to aim your "telescope"

Source

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Traditional planet forming theories propose that planets form slowly from a circumstellar disk by agglomerating dust an gases. There are plenty of instances that are being observed of this process happening in our galaxy at the moment and is a perfectly workable theory. But this process takes…well, a very long time, millions upon millions of years at least.

What is interesting here though is that 2M1044144 is far too young to have a planetary companion to have formed by this process. Herein lies the mystery.

It is being proposed that in this case the two objects (2M1044144A and 2M1044144B) have formed by condensing out of the same gas cloud concurrently and in as much is the first instance of a planetary body being observed to have formed in this manner.

“The most interesting implication of this result is that it shows that the process that makes binary stars extends all the way down to planetary masses. So it appears that nature is able to make planetary-mass companions through two very different mechanisms,” Kevin Luhman, PSU

In support of this theory is the nearby binary system 2M J044145 which is gravitationally connected to 2M J044144, which actualy makes this a quadruple system that is believed to have formed from the same cloud collapse.

Take Home Pointt: this is a planetary body that has formed in a manner that we have not previously observed.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by amonza
Traditional planet forming theories propose that planets form slowly from a circumstellar disk by agglomerating dust an gases. There are plenty of instances that are being observed of this process happening in our galaxy at the moment and is a perfectly workable theory. But this process takes…well, a very long time, millions upon millions of years at least.

What is interesting here though is that 2M1044144 is far too young to have a planetary companion to have formed by this process. Herein lies the mystery.

It is being proposed that in this case the two objects (2M1044144A and 2M1044144B) have formed by condensing out of the same gas cloud concurrently and in as much is the first instance of a planetary body being observed to have formed in this manner.

“The most interesting implication of this result is that it shows that the process that makes binary stars extends all the way down to planetary masses. So it appears that nature is able to make planetary-mass companions through two very different mechanisms,” Kevin Luhman, PSU

In support of this theory is the nearby binary system 2M J044145 which is gravitationally connected to 2M J044144, which actualy makes this a quadruple system that is believed to have formed from the same cloud collapse.

Take Home Pointt: this is a planetary body that has formed in a manner that we have not previously observed.

Thank you for your post and for helping explain what we see here.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
As these 2 objects are too small to be binary stars. Eventually they will pull in other debris and may eventually gain enough mass to become Stars.

I don't think objects bigger than Jupiter make good spaceships for aliens though. As my weight on Jupiter would be 469 pounds. This object is way bigger than Jupiter.

www.enchantedlearning.com...

And if these aliens were so advanced that they could just move huge planets around to signal other beings light years away. They probably could just bend space/time or something and visit other solar systems.

By the time their light speed signal reaches most of these star systems they will be stone dead. So even if we, believed it was a signal, had the ability, and cared enough to signal back it would be pointless.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by dreadphil

I think what your referring to is Quantum Entanglement and there have been suggestions about using this as a faster than light means of communication.

Another more metaphysical approach and one that is thinking even further outside the box has to do with tapping into what is called the Akashic Records.

Both of those theories are way over my head by I find them fascinating none-the-less.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Devino
reply to post by dreadphil

I think what your referring to is Quantum Entanglement and there have been suggestions about using this as a faster than light means of communication.

Another more metaphysical approach and one that is thinking even further outside the box has to do with tapping into what is called the Akashic Records.

Both of those theories are way over my head by I find them fascinating none-the-less.

yes thats exactly what I was talking about! thanx for setting me straight. Ill have to read up on this Akashic Records theory, sounds intriguing and way outside the box indeed.Im glad there had been discussion on using Quantum Entaglement as a FTL communication possibility. It just seemed like a logical use of such an effect.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Just wanted to add some more to this topic. For those of you that think that its is impossible for extra terristrals to build a device or structure that could be seen from earth or disrupt the light from their star then think again.

It might be possible to collect the energy from an entire star, To do that they could deploy millions of mirrors in space, encircling the whole sun and feeding the power to one single collection point.

Stephen Hawking

Source

Now he was talking about this method being used to open up a wormhole but it could also used to make a beacon, not to be directly comparable but similar to a light house, a "here we are signal" it does not have to be directed at us or anywhere else, its main function would be to call attention to their existence.

If you do not have technology that would enable interstellar travel then maybe they could come visit you.

However he does state that

Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonize whatever planets they could reach

Same source as above.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by bharata]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Just wanted to add some more to this topic. For those of you that think that its is impossible for extra terristrals to build a device or structure that could be seen from earth or disrupt the light from their star then think again.

It might be possible to collect the energy from an entire star, To do that they could deploy millions of mirrors in space, encircling the whole sun and feeding the power to one single collection point.
Source

I think this is the idea that OmegaLogos had pertaining to Dyson Spheres. I didn't read that whole link because I remember the idea from reading bits and pieces over the years. Or maybe it was on a Star Trek episode that I saw a long time ago.

As far as this being a possible manner in which to communicate I have several problems with that. The biggest problem is that it would take an astronomical amount of effort to basically achieve that which we already have. Light travels at the same speed that radio waves do so, where's the gain? This sort of device would send a signal at the speed of light. Furthermore I don't think it's a good idea to speculate on how someone could or could not create a wormhole device like what your article was pertaining to. I mean, I suppose that this could be a device that might create a wormhole in space but, then again, maybe there is a much easier way to do that. My point is that this seems like too large a leap to make given how little we know.

As for the need of a lighthouse beacon to establish galactic coordinates these already exist naturally with Pulsars. To make such an artificial beacon to call attention to that area in particular poses several other questions like, Why? Personally I would be very suspicious of such a signal given that it was designed to call attention to it. I would view it more as some sort of warning if anything at all.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Devino

Source

I think this is the idea that OmegaLogos had pertaining to Dyson Spheres. I didn't read that whole link because I remember the idea from reading bits and pieces over the years. Or maybe it was on a Star Trek episode that I saw a long time ago.

As far as this being a possible manner in which to communicate I have several problems with that. The biggest problem is that it would take an astronomical amount of effort to basically achieve that which we already have. Light travels at the same speed that radio waves do so, where's the gain? This sort of device would send a signal at the speed of light. Furthermore I don't think it's a good idea to speculate on how someone could or could not create a wormhole device like what your article was pertaining to. I mean, I suppose that this could be a device that might create a wormhole in space but, then again, maybe there is a much easier way to do that. My point is that this seems like too large a leap to make given how little we know.

As for the need of a lighthouse beacon to establish galactic coordinates these already exist naturally with Pulsars. To make such an artificial beacon to call attention to that area in particular poses several other questions like, Why? Personally I would be very suspicious of such a signal given that it was designed to call attention to it. I would view it more as some sort of warning if anything at all.

I agree with you but both Miko Kaku and Stephen Hawking have mentioned advanced races either manipulating a star or being capable of building projects of astronomical proportions being possible so the idea of a chance observation leading to a discovery is intriguing. Again I am not saying that we are seeing any right now but seeing discoveries like the one in the op ignites my imagination.

I know its speculation but its fun none the less.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join