It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Jobless Claims Rise 04/08/2010

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
"The number of newly laid-off workers seeking unemployment benefits rose last week, a sign that jobs remain scarce even as the economy recovers.

The Labor Department said first-time claims increased by 18,000 to a seasonally adjusted 460,000. That's worse than economists' estimates of a drop to 435,000, according to a survey by Thomson Reuters.

The report covers the week that includes the Easter holiday, and a Labor Department analyst said seasonal adjustment for that week can be difficult since the Easter holiday occurs in different weeks each year.

The tally of people continuing to claim benefits for more than a week fell by 131,000 to 4.55 million, the lowest level since December 2008."

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

What I find funny about this, is I know several people who can no longer collect Unemployment benefits due to the fact they have been unemployed for a very long time... So it is actual amusing that there attempting to pass this off as good thing.... What a bunch of dolts we have running this country.... Freaking Funny...

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
The most scary part is that so many jobs are now lost forever, they're never coming back, and will not be replaced!

They are gone! - often to Asia - but some are also obsolete and will not fit in the 'new After Crises Society 2.0' and the new scheme of evolution.

It's almost the same here in Europe.

This is a paradigm shift of epic proportions regarding the future work-market.

And it will hit the middleclass hardest - all over the western world.

I'm really curious to see how they will solve this mess if/when the crises are over - im curious on how this new upgraded 'Society 2.0' will look like?

I wish that I knew already though! because it would be a golden opportunity for personal investments.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

Right I don’t like society 2.0, I liked it better when everyone was working. But American Business owners (European as well) got greedy, American Workers got greedy, we as workers can’t make 60 an hour and be expected to compete with people who only make 10.00 to 15.00 an hour.

That’s part of the reason we are in this mess is greed. I'd like to see a cap on how much money a person can make... or have like 5 billion dollars or something.. It’s too damn ridiculous out there.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
If we really add numbers up the total unemployment rate for the US is likely up to about 18%... which includes those that have been dropped from the rolls and just gave up...

But the current admin is not going to show that...

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Time to hire more census workers and open more government agencies. Apparently the 80,000 jobs that come along once in a decade aren't enough to make the numbers look good.

I really hope Obama gets those 150+ government-run healthcare agencies up and running soon -- can't have people looking realistically at the economy. Otherwise, the gig is up.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by lpowell0627]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Don't trust the government numbers! There are so many people without jobs and UNABLE to collect unemployment any longer it screws their data over.

Case in point: One of my family members got a job the WEEK before her unemployment ran out. Took her a YEAR to get a new job.

Where did she get a job you ask?

In a hotel restaurant. (Yeah not exactly up there in pay or hours but its a job!)

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by lilwolf

You are correct, This are fake numbers, one has to wonder what the actual amount of Americans isn’t working... Take my family 33% do not have jobs, 25 people in my Family are out of work... That’s a lot. So if my family has a 33% unemployment rate, what do other families have?

I should note that we are a blue collar family, skilled laborers mostly with the exception of a few of us who went to college.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

back in January of this year the NY Post reported that it
If you count these hopelessly unemployed, the real jobless rate is probably close to 22 percent. If these all weren't such important issues, this would all be a big joke.

then in August last year on that guys breitbart site he showed the numbers atabout 16 % total.

And in feb of this year this was reported... I know it is a blog, but he has verified links and sources..

Take 10%, then double the number.

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are 14.8 million unemployed Americans. www.bls.gov...

(What's odd is, even though more people lost jobs, many "discouraged" people were dropped from the statistics, and the revised "official" unemployment rate was lowered from 10.1% to 9.7% - - - Obama's number-crunching.)

The younger people who want to leave their parent's home and be on their own for the very first time must find it very difficult - - - because this recession is the longest and deepest on record.

In the past 2 years the recession has cost Americans 8.1 million jobs - - - and the actual unemployment rate is at 17.3% (but only 10% are collecting State or Federally Extended Unemployment benefits; 10% being the figure the government uses because it makes it sound less severe.)
tobuds.com...

the obama and his fake numbers are all starting to come to a head... and when it does all hell is gonna bust loose... guess I better get my popcorn out because I cannot wait to see how this clown tries to spin the numbers (as usual)...

new topics

top topics

join