It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Evidence Moon is Utterly Amazing Unearthly Place

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
This article underscores how amazing a place the moon really is, even more amazing than we think, or even can imagine. Differences over interpretations and conclusions are less important than agreement of steps to be taken -- look closer, and closer, and keep prying at its secrets.

Indian lunar mission finds tunnels below moon's surface

New Delhi
PTI News Agency
Apr 7, 2010, 1706 GMT

Bangalore, 7 April: India's Chandrayaan-I mission has identified tunnels below the surface of the moon, a top space scientist said Wednesday [7 April], and maintained that human habitation could be possible in those "tubes" in the future.

The director of the Indian Space Research Organization's Space Applications Centre based in Ahmedabad, Dr Ranganath R. Navalgund, said the terrain-mapping camera, an Indian instrument on the lunar mission, has found "new types of rocks" and hollow tunnels. These tubes were formed after the flow of lava from volcanoes, he contended.

"Tubes which are hollow have been found below the surface of the moon. Such things have also been identified from the Chandrayaan mission... [ellipses as published here and throughout] from the terrain-mapping camera... which was our own instrument."

"Now those tunnels which have not collapsed... which are below the surface of the moon and which have been identified... are somewhat interesting features," Navalgund told reporters here.

"Not today, not tomorrow, but in years to come, they (those tunnels) could be possible areas where one could have certain habitation... ", he said, adding that scientists were currently investigating this finding.

And I also strongly recommend this amazing photo essay:
Pretty picture: An unexplained chain of elliptical craters on the Moon planetary.org...

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg
Pretty picture: An unexplained chain of elliptical craters on the Moon planetary.org...

Giant moon bunnies?

Seriously though the beginning of the set at the top showing a curved depression is truly odd.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
"The moon is unearthly"
Well theres a statement of the obvious you dont see every day.

TBH I cant actually see any realisitc reason to ever populate the moon unless it's part of some resource mining project.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Wow, very cool!

This reminds me of the fact that there are very large amounts of radiation on the moon There's two kinds, solar radiation and then secondary radiation caused when this solar radiation interacts with the surface soil of the moon, spraying it back up. This secondary dose is actually more harmful. More on that here.

These tunnels could potentially be the reason we ultimately decide to make permanent moon bases, as they would almost certainly provide protection from both kinds.

Then again, we only found these tunnels because they were collapsing...

S&F, cool info. I've heard of long-gone volcanic activity on the moon, but never considered the possibility of empty lava tubes.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg

This article underscores how amazing a place the moon really is, even more amazing than we think, or even can imagine. Differences over interpretations and conclusions are less important than agreement of steps to be taken -- look closer, and closer, and keep prying at its secrets.

So what you're saying is the Moon is not all "they" say it is?...

I agree EVERYONE should search, ask more questions, and unveil the secrets companies like the one you work for or worked for keep secret? (NASA)

Have you got some inside info you want to share Jim?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Some crazy thoughts on hollow tubes humans could inhabit on the moon.

Maybe we used to inhabit those tubes and moved to earth for some reason.

Maybe thats where this hollow earth myth comes from.

maybe the earth has hollow tubes too.

Maybe they are mining tunnels or tubes, caterpillar makes moon equipment, what are they digging for on the moon?

Maybe when our american msm says iraq and iran etc have nukes, they are trying to prevent them from using nuclear materials to propel their own space gear into space to the moon. For what I dont know.

Just theories.

Thank you for sharing the article, Op.

Lots to think about.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Good post, are there any solid tubes on the moon? (sorry could not help extracting the urine) but surely all tubes are hollow?
Hmmm, in two minds whether to delete this post or not, flame me.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
So the Moon was at one point in the past was geologically active ?.
Where is the evidence of Volcano's , calderas on the moon ?.
Jim please can you explain , I thought the Moon had always been a dead ball of rock .

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
I thought the Moon had always been a dead ball of rock .

Alot of people thought that.

The latest missions have given us a new perspective on the old moon.

Check out this article, it might help get you up to speed:

Forget almost everything you ever thought you knew about the moon.

NASA's latest missions indicate the moon is much more than a dead, unchanging satellite orbiting Earth. It's a dynamic environment, with changes occurring by the day and week, not over millions of years....

..."We used to think of the moon as this really dead and unchanging place, that the moon was a dead planet. ... There are changes that occur there not over the course of thousands or millions or even billions of years, but are changing over the course of days and weeks and months. That's something people just hadn't thought of until just weeks and months ago. ... This isn't your grandfather's moon anymore."

www.cnn.com...

*Thanks for the thread Jimbo.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by Exuberant1]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
So the Moon was at one point in the past was geologically active ?.
Where is the evidence of Volcano's , calderas on the moon ?.
Jim please can you explain , I thought the Moon had always been a dead ball of rock .

Yeah the moon was once geologically active. It was also likely molten on the surface for its early years due to its formation and the ***tstorm that was our infant solar system. The lack of volcanoes is an outcome of the heavy bombardment that led to a molten/semi-molten surface.

To a degree it's possibly still active. There are moonquakes of varying severity still occurring. Maybe they're just effects of tidal locking and heat generated by gravity from our mutual orbits?

new topics

top topics

join