It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Lords discovered in California

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Lords walk among us. Two per cent of readers may be surprised to discover that they are members of an elite group with the power to perceive the geography of time.

Sci-fi fans – Anglophile ones, at least – know that the coolest aliens in the universe are Time Lords: time-travelling humanoids with the ability to understand and perceive events throughout time and space. Now it seems that people with a newly described condition have a similar, albeit lesser ability: they experience time as a spatial construct.

Synaesthesia is the condition in which the senses are mixed, so that a sound or a number has a colour, for example. In one version, the sense of touch evokes emotions.

To those variants we can now add time-space synaesthesia.

I see… time

Link

I have always been interested in synaesthesia. The idea that a person can have the ability to see sound as a color, or any other of the fascinating abilities, is borderline approaching ideas from the show Heros.

How about it ATS? Do we have any members with synaesthesia? Does anyone think this may be related to a higher, more fantastical human ability?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
The artical itself was an interesting read concerning the blending of senses, but no where does it talk of "time lords". I was just wondering exactly what these are and where they come from?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by treemanx

I guess I'll be the first to admit it. I'm clinically a synesthete.
For those who think they might have this condition here's a quick online screening test.

For me it manifests more as a feeling. To give an example if I look at something I get an overwhelming sense of a number it corresponds to. The compulsion is so strong that it's easy for me to see something AS its numerical representation.

I first started to notice it with colors. 0 is a sort of white / rainbow'ish color, 1 white, 2 red-white, 3 an orangish-yellow, 4 dirty-green / borderline greyish, 5 a sort of deep ocean blue with a splash of white, 6 is like a clear oil-slick, and on indefinitely.

If you're interested in the subject you'll probably get a kick out of this British television station Channel Four documentary, Daniel Tammet - The Boy With The Incredible Brain,

And some other material,
  1. Hearing Colors, Tasting Shapes
  2. Vid: Hearing colours, tasting sounds /w researcher David Eagleman

Interesting article, thanks for the link!

[edit on 8-4-2010 by Xtraeme]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   

synaesthesia is quite common on '___' or other powerful hallucinogen. I.e. everybody is capable of synaesthesia but for some reason this ability is suppressed under normal circumstances.
What Time is is unanswered question - probably The basic question of philosophy.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by treemanx

I have always been interested in synaesthesia. The idea that a person can have the ability to see sound as a color, or any other of the fascinating abilities, is borderline approaching ideas from the show Heros.

How about it ATS? Do we have any members with synaesthesia? Does anyone think this may be related to a higher, more fantastical human ability?

I had an emergency op about two years ago.

In the 48 hours post-op whatever pain meds/antibiotic I was on caused this to happen...
...whenever I closed my eyes the noise from a TV in the adjacent room was translated into vivid visual images of colorful complex worlds...
...it was really cool...
...I even gained some control over it and was able to 'move/fly' around the landscapes.

[edit on 8/4/10 by troubleshooter]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I have discovered that while trying to lucid dream, playing music from groups like Hybrid on Pandora through my Iphone allows me to stay aware as I pass from wakefulness into sleep.

The interesting thing is that I can experience synaesthesia very, very, strongly. Imagine lying in bed and the beats in the music start to bounce you around as if you were jumping on a trampoline. Imagine that the different instruments and beats are causing your vision to flash to the music. Imagine the reverse and that different colors (shades of red) seem to hum of different frequencies and subtle melodies.

This stuff is interesting but what leads me to comment is when I started trying to pay attention to time while I was doing this. Time feels bumpy from one tick of my clock to the next, sometimes zoning out, I feel as if the passage of time is smooth, only to be bounced around again as I listen to my clock again.

This stuff is very interesting to me and I would love to hear other people's stories.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Do we have any members with synaesthesia?

I have experienced it. It has not been a common occurence though.

Does anyone think this may be related to a higher, more fantastical human ability?

...well, sort of yes, but no more so really than dreaming, or doing math in your head. I think it's really just a matter of mental mapping. Feeding an experience of the external world to a part of the mind other than where it would ordinarily go.

Data is data. Methods of communication and the manner of perception of data is not data. I can speak words out loud so you hear them, or I can write them on a piece of paper and hand them to you so you see them, or I can translate them into braille and you can feel them with your fingers. It doesn't really matter. Only the nature of the experiencing is different.

If you experience the sound of music through your eyes, or feel the color of the sky, is that really so different?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

Very good way of explaining it in terms people may be able to comprehend, although we don't fully understand synaesthesia yet do we?

I watched something about synaesthesia before on discovery or something and it was very neat. A bunch of people who had it, in different variations, were put together to meet one another and share their 'ability' if you will.

I would love to be able to listen to someone play music live and see colors floating from the music... this doesn't just happen with music, it's with every noise for people who experience synaesthesia that way. I could foretell that it may get annoying though, but I guess that is from the perspective of someone who doesn't have synaesthesia - I guess if you've had it since birth you're used to it and are able to handle it since it's your life. It would be something cool to be able to switch on and off.

By the way some of the people who have posted in this thread about experiencing it, I don't think you really experienced true synaesthesia. You may have experienced something like it, but then again I'm not you so I cannot tell for sure - but by your explanations it doesn't sound 100% legit.

I'd really like to hear from anyone else who has synaesthesia, as in people who are actually diagnosed with it clinically and have been tested. It's very fascinating stuff.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Hmmm, I experience very ample synaesthesia whilst going to sleep.

For instance, the sudden crackle in the walls at night will make a bright white flash, other than that I've yet to experience anything to significant.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I get it when I see moving images.

Moving images (without sound) cause me to "hear" a sound in my head.

For example, watching an animated gif of moving white dots will cause me to hear a strange whirring sounds or buzzing.

Motions of a repetitive nature cause me to hear noises that rise in fall in loudness and pitch based on the movements.

Very annoying, actually. Had it all my life.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Revolution-2012

Hey, same here. When going to sleep and there is a noise I will see the sound as a geometric shape. It pretty much looks like when you look through a kaleidescope.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
Hmmm, I experience very ample synaesthesia whilst going to sleep.

For instance, the sudden crackle in the walls at night will make a bright white flash, other than that I've yet to experience anything to significant.

Exactly the same thing is happening regular to me when I try and OB in bed . I am in bed , perfectly still and after some time in this state , any sound that suddenly happens, I perceive as a flash of light from the direction of the sound . Usually it is a bright white flash .

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by zeddissad

synaesthesia is quite common on '___' or other powerful hallucinogen. I.e. everybody is capable of synaesthesia but for some reason this ability is suppressed under normal circumstances.
What Time is is unanswered question - probably The basic question of philosophy.

Do you have links to prove any of this, or is this just a personal experience? I can see why you'd say that, but I am wondering if it is the same phenomena as synaesthesia, or if it is just the drug distorting the brain.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlegmi
reply to post by Revolution-2012

Hey, same here. When going to sleep and there is a noise I will see the sound as a geometric shape. It pretty much looks like when you look through a kaleidescope.

Interesting to see that more than one of you experience flashes of light or color corresponding to noises at night. Do you guys think this some form of synaesthesia, or something else entirely?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Anyone can see sounds as colour. You just need to be in the right meditative state, and sometimes you dont even concider it meditating because you get so good at it.

This technique isn't as hard or implossible as it sounds

its quite easy once you've practised

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
When I was a kid, whenever I ate certain foods, it would make me think I was tasting gray, in my mind the color gray would appear, very weird for me when I was young because I always asked my friends if they ever tasted gray and they laughed and said no. Hasn't happened for a long time. Also for a little while the color dark green or forest green would always make me nauseous, it didn't matter where I observed the color, and especially if it was a food. I wouldn't be able to eat it and no longer had an appetite.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by MConnalley]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I think its called"Chrono Kenesis"by name you can google it..but it seems kinda strange for a person to manipulate time even for a few seconds..I am sure there are folks alive with above average ablilties but most keep them secret in fear of being experimented on

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
After reading this I am thinking that I must have this condition.

I have a very strong visual representation of time in my minds eye.

The best way to describe it is my memories of time past is like a ball with each moment a clean slice through the ball.

When I think of future events or try and plan ahead I actually see in my mind the a transparent sphere surrounding the ball, encasing it. the future events sphere is either blue or red.

For me time is litrally like a movie film, with each moment a still slice where matter has frozen at that moment.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Peace out,

Korg

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I taste in shapes. My mother was a terrible cook. I knew there had to be good food in the world though. It has been my mission to find it but more so to create it. I can taste recipes, I can see the history/evolution of a food - where it comes from, the correct way to consume it, the time of day it's meant to be eaten, etc.

I know this isn't exactly what you're talking about here with the numbers and colors thing, but still thought I'd add my "thing" to the post.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
THis is a very interasting tread/

Please more people need to share their experiances

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join