It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For those who had been following AstroEngineers thread...Full Story is now available

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by expat2368

Astroengineer is not banned from ATS.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here is what a banned member profile looks like.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by merryxmas
I started to read his story. I read the first two chapters that were on ATS then I took a gander at the rest on the site linked here and it's just so redundant on the tech side of things that it's boring. I want to know the crux of the story not every little detail about packet sniffing, memory dumps etc etc.

I agree -- that is why I think the story is nothing but a somewhat artful fake.

He seems way too fascinated with the mundane techno-details (VMware, encryption, other stuff.) This isn't interesting to anyone – especially not those that work with this stuff daily. It is like he wants to prove his credentials by name-dropping "libcap" – it doesn't work for me. It is contrived. He uses it to increase is credibility.

But the biggest reason I believe this is a hoax – this type of breakthrough (FTL communication) would immediately be released by JPL as a major announcement – leveraged to justify a bigger 2011 budget. Why am I wrong there? Do you think JPL is NOT worried about budget cuts? (Of course they are.)

I fear that this whole story is just some guy -- having fun -- at our collective expense.

I am glad ATS challenged him and shut him down. Good for us.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Astroengineer is not banned from ATS.

Correct, his thread was just closed pending some response to the mods.

Here is what a banned member profile looks like.

flags: 0, replies: -6, views: 547
flags: 0, replies: -5, views: 252

Just curious ... how can a thread have a negative number of replies?

[edit on 4/10/2010 by Shadoefax for formatting]

Edited again ... Damn, why can't you preview an edited post without losing the edits?

[edit on 4/10/2010 by Shadoefax]

[edit on 4/10/2010 by Shadoefax]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I'm sorry you guys feel that his thread closing was an insignificant moment. Some of us feel like all the information he was providing was nonsense and could be found just by using google. I was hooked he he was first posting but than after doing a quick search on wiki, all the information he had was posted there. I did a quick search for light speed technology and came up with techies talking about it being possible or impossible.

It isn't hard for a techie to lose us with his research if done correctly. If he truly wanted to get his story going, he would have posted it in full rather then throwing the bait and hooks. Bait and hooks is what writers and journalists are about, getting to the evidence is what scientists and techies are about.

I am usually not a skeptic but I had to be for this one.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Maybe its just me, but why is Astro Engineer writing a manifesto about ATS on his blog?

And if he is such a prolific writer, and worked at NASA, he has to have a base level of intelligence. I am gonna go out on a limb and say because of his profession, and the mention of laptop, and the fact he found not only this website, but busted up a BLOG so fast and with such ease, means he has experience with the internet. Thus, a logical next step is, he is familiar with message boards.

Now lets keep following this.

If we can at the least assume these above statements to be relatively close to to the deal, then we can say he should have thus been familiar with posting etiquette on web boards and forums. After all, his material is very readable, and polished.

I cant understand why he thought a cliffhanger scenerio was the way to go, and why he didnt just post it all at once. I dont buy the I dont have time stuff, if you dont have time then what are doing piece mealing something you may never have time to get back to?

I think it is very poor posting form to cliff hang such a story in the first place. I enumerated my reasons for my displeasure with his posting style in the original thread. Since he started the thread it was open for comment.

It is weird he devoted two blog entries to residual ATS matters, in a blog about his discovery at NASA. Way to clutter it up.

I dont even know what the big deal is anyway I thought we already had this technology, and suspect we have far great techs as well.

BUT the moment I read the part of his blog where he alludes to something Rich found but aw shucks, I cant go into that because (insert reason).

(its his blog so cliff hangers are more than welcome there it seems!)

What a plot twist, anyone else not see that one coming?

This is a discussion board about conspiracies. I am really far from sold on Astro Engineer, and while his story is a great quick read, it isnt anything I am getting too excited over yet.

I am in no way trying to rain on anyone else's lovefest with Astro E., and hope those of you interested in this story keep following this guys blog for more updates.

But some of us (especially fellow writers) are skeptical and some of us have done a little more than bash, I at least explained why I am skeptical. And tried to remain polite.

And I have to admit, I never thought of the other thread as "getting buried" by disinfo agents, but with so many of my fellow ats'ers noticing the effect (and in multiple threads) I am going to have to consider that.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Maybe its just me, but why is Astro Engineer writing a manifesto about ATS on his blog?

It is just you.

Please explain why you think his blog about his experiences with NASA amount to "writing a manifesto about ATS".

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

It is just you.

Please explain why you think his blog about his experiences with NASA amount to "writing a manifesto about ATS".
I was not referring to his entire bog.

Let me clarify.

The manifesto is one post, not all of them. It is thr why I don't post at ats blog entry.

Another hinky thing about the manifesto.

If he is so done with ats why the free manifesto advertising?

And aren't ats'ers the only ones reading his bog?

Several things don't add up but maybe I am totally wrong.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Axial Leader

He seems way too fascinated with the mundane techno-details (VMware, encryption, other stuff.) This isn't interesting to anyone – especially not those that work with this stuff daily. It is like he wants to prove his credentials by name-dropping "libcap" – it doesn't work for me. It is contrived. He uses it to increase is credibility.

If it were "contrived", his use of "mundane techno-details" as you put it would be forced and unnatural. To the contrary, his use of the technical details play an integral part of the entire story, and are necessary. I'm in the IT biz myself, and I work a great deal with network security on Linux systems. The words and details he uses to describe what happened are indicative of a person who KNOWS what they are talking about. It's one thing to drop a bunch of technical jargon here and there, but there is no doubt that the author is in fact an extremely skilled computer/network expert-- Particularly in the Linux/Unix variants. Anyway, I know its a lot to read through especially to someone who is not big into computers. I can imagine trying to read through a complex story with a bunch of medical jargon; That would be frustrating to me.

His story has been summarized several times in this thread. Have a look at one if you don't want to swim through the tech-mess.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Rotoplooker

He never used 'switched networks' to describe the topolgy of the NASA networks.. I am a bit surprised they even could connect to other segments of the whole network,switched, firewalled and some departments probably compartmentalized (can not reach their NAT from outside at all).

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I thikn people might be missing the point arguing about astroengineer's credintials. I bet he is real, but that doesn't mean his story is. He writes like he knows what he's talking about, and it's not written great, it's waaaaaay too long and waaaaay too technical to be written by a good writer. but since he knows all that doens't iot seem likely that he really does work at NASA doing wha the says he does? but that he's just screwing with us hereby inventing the "extra" stuff? what woud stop some guy at NASA who wants to write in his spare time from coming here, telling people lots of true stuff, mixed in with a few lies? Maybe he's telling the truth abotu the FTL stuff, maybe he isn't. I guess I'll wait to judge until he says something that has something i can independently verify. But I'm pretty sure Either way, he really does work at NASA or used to. I don't know how you'd make the stuff that stuff up otherwise. Maye he got fired and hes pissed off at them and getting back at them this way.

Paul

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Interesting link about JPL's quantum group: cs.jpl.nasa.gov...

If you take a look at the bio of the group supervisor, several of his areas of concern seem especially relevant.

I am doing some of my own digging now on quantum coherance and masers and finding some interesting links so far.

Jonathan P. Dowling

Principal areas of research concern quantum technologies, quantum optics, foundations of quantum mechanics, and quantum information theory. In particular, he is actively working in the areas of: Cavity Quantum Electrodynamics, Quantum Optics, Photonic Band-Gap Structures, Quantum Coherence, Atom Optics, Quantum Information, and Quantum Computers. Recently has been investigating theoretical approaches employing the use of quantum states of light to metrology. Other topics of research are related to quantum technologies include: quantum interferometry, quantum gravity gradiometry, quantum information theory, and experimental superconducting quantum computers. Dowling has over 80 publications and 5 patents or patents pending in quantum optics, quantum information theory, laser physics, and mathematical physics.

Dr. Dowling is a member of American Physical Society, the European Optical Society, the Institute of Physics (Fellow), the Irish Mathematical Society, the Optical Society of America, and Editorial Board Member of the Journal of Optics A and Physical Review A. He is listed in Men of Achievement, Marquis Who\'s Who in Science and Engineering, Marquis Who\'s Who in the South and Southwest, Strathmore\'s Who\'s Who in the World, International Who\'s Who. He is also a recent recipient of the Willis E. Lamb medal for Laser Science and Quantum Optics, as well as a Discover Magazine, Technology of the Year Award, semi-finalist, for his work in quantum optical metrology.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jws43yale
Interesting link about JPL's quantum group: cs.jpl.nasa.gov...

If you take a look at the bio of the group supervisor, several of his areas of concern seem especially relevant.

Jonathan P. Dowling

Principal areas of research concern...quantum information theory. In particular, he is actively working in the areas of: Cavity Quantum Electrodynamics, ... Quantum Information, and Quantum Computers... and experimental superconducting quantum computers. Dowling has over 80 publications and 5 patents or patents pending in... quantum information theory...

Awesome find! If anyone could make a quantum radio sounds like he could! Wonder if one of his five patents are for one of those??!?

Here's a crazy theory:

Let's say AstroEngineer **IS** a real guy at JPL like I suspect. But let's say instead of him being some aspiring scifi writer on the mars rover team like i first thought, what if he's in fact telling a versin of the truth. What if he were someone in this quantum group who wants their research to get public? Think about it. You're working on this amaizng stuff, but it's all top secret and you don't get the full recognition you should because of that. No nobel prize for you, only because it's top secret sh*t. And you can't convince TPTB to make it public. But if you leaked it, and people found out, and it became public, maybe you could get your noble prize afterall! it'd be the perfect cover, this guy posts saying he's in the mars program when relaly he's in the quantum group and knows everything, but by saying only a limited amount you'd never geuss it. except i just did!

maybe astroengineer = Jonathan Downling?

Paul

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

its so ironic that!

any time ANYONE posts anything like what astroengineer, people seem to start the discussion by commenting on one major issue, the grammer and spelling ... If their are mis spellings and incorrect grammar people go crazy shouting "how can he work for nasa when he cant even write correct english" ... And now!! we have someone who has near perfect grammar ansd spelling, and because of this people are saying it cannot be true and accusing him of being some sort or writer! ...

make your mind up people, what i have just said in the previous paragraph happens in probably 95% of threads like this!

i coudl go on, theirs so much stuff people cry about and people get posts closed through mods doing the right thing public opinion and not actualy doing the right thing which is to let the thread take its course true or not!

the way i see threads like this is , they MAY be true, they MAY be fAbricated... but at the end of the day its just another form of entertainment (forums in general) ... if you dont like or for some reason feel reading it is insulting to yourself because YOU think its a lie, then dont read any more.. simple as that!

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Axial Leader

But the biggest reason I believe this is a hoax – this type of breakthrough (FTL communication) would immediately be released by JPL as a major announcement – leveraged to justify a bigger 2011 budget. Why am I wrong there? Do you think JPL is NOT worried about budget cuts? (Of course they are.)

If the Quantum Entanglement communication technology described in this story was true there is no way in hell the military industrial complex would allow the technology to be released to the public (they were probably the ones who developed it in the first place and the story references a DoD IP address).

As I said in another post, it would give every enemy of the United States unjammable, undetectable communications. The first thing our military does in an armed conflict is destroy the enemy's communications, command, and control systems. Those tend to be bulky. A quantum entanglement communicator could be quite small requiring no antennas or large power sources.

I think you seriously underestimate how much control the MIC has over the other government departments and programs.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bobbox1980
reply to post by Axial Leader

A quantum entanglement communicator could be quite small requiring no antennas or large power sources.

Haha, I love how you think you can guess at the size or power requirements of a quantum entanglement communicator?! Maybe itd need to be big as a battleship and take as much power as the sun!

But i agree with you it'd be kept secret as long as possible. Everyuthing comes out eventually, some private company or foreign country would discover how to make oen and then it'd be in the news.

PC

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Best thing written on his entire site (as laughable as the OS, if you ask me)-

"ATS is turning into one huge attack site, the Mods do zero to stop this, the owners have “sold-out”. Being a skeptic is extremely important and every story must start with a healthy dose of it BUT troll cowards like Old Dagger, Southern Guardian, Mr Mask, Weedwhacker and child minded punks like Dereks are being allowed to intimidate anyone who posts a new idea or question… and these people (above) are NOT Skeptics, because they have no proof to counter what they are attacking, they simply insult & degrade but never get banned."

A handful of overzealous "dreamers" fall for this guys obvious attempts at gaining an "audience", and the "majority" of rational folks come off looking like "trolls"?

No...sorry...not valid.

The guy is looking to "bring people to his site"...nothing more.

He acts like he is trying to remain covert and hidden... because it would be dangerous for him if "agencies" found him.

Here is a sad fact...from his web habits alone, this "scammer" could be located in under an hour by my personal friends (never mind real government agencies).

He is a hack trying to sell you fiction.

Nothing more.

Have you ever known a whistle-blower who writes an online-novel complete with cliff hangers and periodically updated installments?

Yeah sure....risking his life to break the truth to the sleeping world, all the while collecting hits on his web-blog and shopping it around on sites like ATS, GLP and Icke's forums.

Yeah...that's legit...right?

Here is the saddest fact....If you find "rational people" with "rational reasons to not believe this guy" to be trolls or agents then YOU are not critical enough on the world around you.

If this type of hogwash is all you need to sell the family cow for magic beans...I recommend allowing someone else to walk your cow to the market other then yourself.

[edit on 13-4-2010 by Mr Mask]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rotoplooker
If it were "contrived", his use of "mundane techno-details" as you put it would be forced and unnatural. To the contrary, his use of the technical details play an integral part of the entire story, and are necessary.

Okay. You know what? That is a very helpful clarification. I appreciate your comments on that.

As you say, it probably looks different to someone who follows the raw nuances of what he was saying. To me, it just seemed he was dropping terminology for the sake of gaining credibility.

On ATS, as in other areas of my life, I guess I am more reliant on IT guys than I know or usually appreciate.

One thing is for sure, it is a story that has definitely stuck with me for a few days.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask
A handful of overzealous "dreamers" fall for this guys obvious attempts at gaining an "audience", and the "majority" of rational folks come off looking like "trolls"?

Some people care more about the tone of a message than the message. I agree with you, he's probably full of it. but your post cmoes off pretty harsh, maybe that's why they're saying your a troll.

Originally posted by Mr Mask
Here is a sad fact...from his web habits alone, this "scammer" could be located in under an hour by my personal friends (never mind real government agencies).

haha, i think you've been watching too much 24.

Paul

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I personaly find it sad that AstroEngineer was not welcomed on ATS because he has exactly the kind of story I like to read. How can we expect to see more whistleblower when we treat them like he was treated.

True or not, his story is quite good and it is time well spent (better than most stories posted on ATS now).

There are a loads of threads about Chemtrails, HAARP, Reptilians, Birth certificate and a lot of things that are way more wierd and unbelievable and don't give much more proof that this guy is giving. Most of them are not sent to the skunkworks and their authors are not "bullied" like he was.

His story reads like a good (if somewhat technical) novel and aside for the John Tidor story, is probably the best one I read in a long time. Like the Tidor story it is very probably false but it is 30 minutes well spent IMHO. I recommend his blog.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I'd like to see Admin make contact with A.E and determine once and for all, is he legit or not. That way we can dispense with the back and forth and get on with juicy stuff.

There was just recently a thread started about A.E. and the Mod riff. I tried to throw my 2 cents in and was denied access to the thread. I didn't notice if it was in Skunk works or not. Point being, this member either needs an apology or the firm hand of denial.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join