It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obesity Cure!? Please take my weight loss challenge.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJM8507
For the amount of exercise I have been doing over the past 12 weeks (7.5 hours/week) and me cutting my calories to lose 2 lbs/week, I was hoping to lose more with them both combined. But I have been told that weight is deceptive as one tends to add a lot of muscle weight and 'lean out' and to not completely rely on a scale. Especially with me doing 3 days upper body, 2 days lower body. I can easily leg press 400 lbs, and bench 315, both 3 sets of 15. My gym is suppose to be ordering more weights, until then that is the max.

Regardless of all that, I still look chubby.

Just my experience. I wonder if I add the organic factor to this will I be able to lose even more?

No. Adding organics will do nothing but thin your wallet. You can eat healthily on an inorganic diet.

Your problem is quite common and the remedy is counter-intuitive.

Weight is deceiving, yes. Gaining muscle and losing fat will not register on the scale, but it WILL in the mirror. If you're still looking chubby and you're not noticing any major difference in clothes fitting then there is a problem.

First of all, I have no idea WHAT you're eating. And WHAT you're eating takes precedence over how much.

So, you're dieting AND exercising much more than neccssary. You could be exercising wrong. Stop the normal cardio (jogging). Start running sprint intervals for 30 minutes.

If that doesn't work then your problem is dietary. You're consuming too little calories and are maintaining a negative energy balance that is essentially slowing your metabolism so much that when you're resting you're not burning anything significant. And, honestly, there are only two ways you can maintain a negative energy balance and not lose fat: 1) You're eating lots of carbs, 2) You're hyperinsulinemic.

What's the counter intuitive remedy? Exercise less, eat more fatty foods and less carbohydrate rich foods.

Are you hungry all the time?

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Zerbst

Thanks for the clarifications (on my post early in the thread, which apparently had no relevance). I would certainly be interested in people trying this and some kinds of controlled studies - I'm certainly open to the possibility of "new foods" (GM or recombined chemicals) contributing to epidemics of obesity. (I prefer the term "new foods", because while the chemicals are literally "organic", their re-combined forms are not what our bodies have evolved to consume - but I see this is probably a matter of semantics.) On meat and the whole atrocious industry I'm totally in agreement and I've been vegetarian for over a decade (which probably makes me sceptical of all meats). The notion of "organic" can also differ from country to country and in Southern Africa a lot of produce was or is still organic, while the newer industries are being increasingly introduced. Here it does seem like a label for a tiny elite, although I would opt for sulphite-free wine or GM-free maize (cost allowing).
I don't think my scepticism on "organic" is much different from people advancing tried and tested methods like exercise and other methods mentioned here that have little focus on "organic".
For us thinking along organic lines is a new consideration, and we do get differening views on this, and I put across one view that is probably not too popular. But I've probably been living pretty much organic (we didn't have those labels so it's hard to say), but I did drop from being the little fat headbanger and shed my man-boobs by avoiding junk and altered foods like chicken (all of it was pretty much factory farmed). I also had gout attacks from a beer that I later discovered had GM maize and other additives and now drink a brand that is naturally brewed according to the German "Reinheitsgebot" and I haven't problems with Uric Acid for years. Of course I cannot prove that made any difference, but me and others strongly suspect it.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
http://#mydadsays.tumblr.com/

"I lost 20 pounds … How? I drank bear piss and took up fencing. How the f**k you think, son? I exercised."

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

This dude has a page up on FB too - I wonder if his dad knows about this?

I wonder if there really is a "dad"

"...Where's my fanny pack, this workout is over..."

FB link

[edit on 11-4-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Kinda sounds like a fat persons pipe dream. First if you are obese you are well over weight and dropping 20lbs if you are 100lbs over weight would be no challenge at all. Switching to organic foods would not change anything. Eating a pint of organic ice cream is no better than eating non organic ice cream. Im a lightweight boxer so i know pretty much every trick in the book for losing weight quick, i also know what works and what does not work. It takes hardwork and dedication to lose weight it is not something you just "change" and start losing (unless you start a diet which starves you).There are also different types of weight you can lose.
The only way i dee this organic diet working is because organic food costs way more than regular food so you would buy less and thus east less.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by zaiger]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd

For the amount of exercise I have been doing over the past 12 weeks (7.5 hours/week) and me cutting my calories to lose 2 lbs/week, I was hoping to lose more with them both combined. But I have been told that weight is deceptive as one tends to add a lot of muscle weight and 'lean out' and to not completely rely on a scale. Especially with me doing 3 days upper body, 2 days lower body. I can easily leg press 400 lbs, and bench 315, both 3 sets of 15. My gym is suppose to be ordering more weights, until then that is the max.

Regardless of all that, I still look chubby.

Just my experience. I wonder if I add the organic factor to this will I be able to lose even more?

No. Adding organics will do nothing but thin your wallet. You can eat healthily on an inorganic diet.

Your problem is quite common and the remedy is counter-intuitive.

Weight is deceiving, yes. Gaining muscle and losing fat will not register on the scale, but it WILL in the mirror. If you're still looking chubby and you're not noticing any major difference in clothes fitting then there is a problem.

First of all, I have no idea WHAT you're eating. And WHAT you're eating takes precedence over how much.

So, you're dieting AND exercising much more than neccssary. You could be exercising wrong. Stop the normal cardio (jogging). Start running sprint intervals for 30 minutes.

If that doesn't work then your problem is dietary. You're consuming too little calories and are maintaining a negative energy balance that is essentially slowing your metabolism so much that when you're resting you're not burning anything significant. And, honestly, there are only two ways you can maintain a negative energy balance and not lose fat: 1) You're eating lots of carbs, 2) You're hyperinsulinemic.

What's the counter intuitive remedy? Exercise less, eat more fatty foods and less carbohydrate rich foods.

Are you hungry all the time?

I think you may be on to something in regards to the "consuming too few calories" as I enter everything I eat into LiveStrong's MyPlate program in order to track how much I eat. I do eat a lot of carbs, but I am also between 500 to 1000 calories below my current limit after I enter the calories burned from working out. So in essence I suppose I am not eating enough calories?

I eat mostly salads, chicken, and some pastas here and there made with "life balance" tortilla rolls, etc. I also take multi-vitamins, OMEGA-3, and a few other supplements. No Soda, No Candy, No Ice Cream, No cookies, No Caffeine, etc. I also drink between 60 to 100 ounces of water per day.

I am 5'10" and this morning I weighed in at 267 lbs.

I did try a modified program on an elliptical yesterday that essentially 'sprints' for a set period of time and then it ratchets up the resistance quite a bit for short bursts. I must say I could feel my heart pumping out of my chest and was out of breath. Much harder than the typical jogging. Is that the type of exercise you recommend?

Also, I am not "hungry" all the time, but I do get hungry around the times I need to eat Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner.

I am also allergic to Fructose and Corn syrup. Sugar also tends to cause me to crash pretty badly. I have a glucose meter, although I am not diabetic, and my Blood sugar is consistently in the healthy levels, never leaving between 80 to 120. The higher end being if I ate something sweet (cake, ice cream etc) although it has been quite some time since I had those. THe lower level is after fasting for 12-18 hours, give or take.

I do appreciate any help you guys could share. I have been on this weight loss journey over the past 12 months or so, and have just started hitting the gym daily since January. It has become an easy habit but I really hope to be down to at least 220 lbs soon. I do suppose I am currently losing around a pound per week, which is the "healthy" way, right? Especially considering I am doing some moderate weight training in addition to the cardio.

Thanks again!

[edit on 13-4-2010 by DJM8507]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

I am 5'10" and this morning I weighed in at 267 lbs.

This morning I weighed 255 lbs.

I am working hard to lose fat, and no muscle. So the pounds are subjective but I am leaning out.

My goal is to get within the 200 to 220 lb range. So I still have a bit to go but hopefully within a year I will be there.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
A lot of organic food is really expensive. I heard my natural food friend (who is on food stamps by the way, our tax dollars at work) rave about the only hot dogs she buys are organic ones that cost $6.99 for a regular sized pack.

sigh...

I am overweight, I would not consider myself lazy. I go to school full time, work part time taking care of developmentally disabled adults (not a sit down job) and I am signing up to be a substitute at another of my company's homes. I have 2 active kids to chase after. So yeah, I am not lazy.

I am a food addict and that is where my problem lies. Especially when I am in school when there's not a lot of time for me to eat at home. I am hoping this will change during summer break.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
There is no magic fat burning pill. They are all scams. The only way is to change to a healthier diet and get more active. If money is a problem, frozen fruits/veggies, eggs, and oatmeal are relatively inexpensive. Oatmeal especially. You can do infinite things with it as well (make it sweet, spicy, use as a substitute to rice or pasta)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
people are overweight because they eat too much, you understand that.
so the only way to lose weight is to EAT LESS.
jeez people stop expecting gimmicks to work, eat less/excersise more, its really that simple.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Try to skip dinner, last meal of the day.

It really works, also hurts..

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join