It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Tries to Light Shoes on Fire During Flight

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
FYI again...

The federal government prohibits smoking on all U.S. airline flights arriving in or departing from the United States . 49 U.S.C.A. § 41706 (a) (2005).

Civil fines for smoking on an airline flight range from $2,200 for smoking in an airplane seat or cabin to $3,300 for smoking in an airplane lavatory. Tampering with a smoke detector installed in an airplane lavatory is punishable by a $2,200 fine. 14 C.F.R. § 121.317(g), (h), (i) (2005); 49 U.S.C.A. § 46301 (2005)

Dang...I forgot to copy the web address for the source and I closed it out already. My bad.
Is this outdated?

Nate

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboxoftrix
This guys must be a nut if he tells an air marshal
"I'm lighting my shoes on fire."
and doesn't really have a bomb.
Sounds very odd to me
link

Lame, and I mean very lame, attempt at humor? Trying to lighten the mood after getting caught smoking? I don't know...time will tell.

Nate

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by aboxoftrix

Well that seems like a nice, objective source.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Maybe I'm just looking into it too much. I could be.

But when I logged onto my computer earlier this afternoon, the WikiLeaks story was mentioned somewhere on the main page of nearly every major news site. Now, this is the headline on that main page. And on some of the sites, the Wikileaks story is gone from the front page all together.

Could it be that this huge breaking news that plastered every news outlet in the U.S. really was some guy lighting his cigarette? Was an opportunity seen here, and did they go with it?

Again, maybe it's the conspiracy theorist in me.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by nick112]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by nick112

But when I logged onto my computer earlier this afternoon, the WikiLeaks story was mentioned somewhere on the main page of nearly every major news site. Now, this is the headline on that main page. And on some of the sites, the Wikileaks story is gone from the front page all together.

Could it be that this huge breaking news that plastered every news outlet in the U.S. really was some guy lighting his cigarette? Was an opportunity seen here, and did they go with it?

Yesterday it was Tiger Woods that overshadowed it. I saw this footage (the wiki-leaks footage) on every news outlet at least once in the morning but the rest of the day was all about Tiger. Welcome to the 24 hour cable news world.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by K J Gunderson]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson

Originally posted by nick112

Yesterday it was Tiger Woods that overshadowed it. I saw this footage on every news outlet at least once in the morning but the rest of the day was all about Tiger. Welcome to the 24 hour cable news world.

For sure. And we can't forget the iPad. But then the story was breaking, so it was still somewhat reported on. It seems like some outlets are taking this opportunity to completely kill the WikiLeaks story and hope that maybe no one raises too much of a fuss.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by nick112

I have been watching the news channels for a couple of hours now and I have only seen this "show bomber" mentioned once but at the time, they did say that they did not have all of the details. I guess it is fair to assume that they should wait until they have all the info to really report but I think you are mostly right as even then, we will be hearing more about anything and everything else. There will probably be some ipad recall or bug found that will be far more important but I guess we will see.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson

I have been watching the news channels for a couple of hours now and I have only seen this "show bomber" mentioned once but at the time, they did say that they did not have all of the details.

On, so NOW the bleepers are waiting to see if they have all of their info correct? I'm guessing making blind assumptions wasn't working for them anymore, so now they have to wait and do a little bit of work?

I wouldn't be surprised if someone decided to jump on this to over shadow the Wikileaks thing, regardless of what really happened.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Smoking by Qatari diplomat forces down plane by F-16's

The accident occurred when flight marshals subdued a man, identified later as Mohammed al-Modadi, a midlevel Qatari diplomat, over his alleged smoking in a bathroom and purportedly trying to cover up the smell by also lighting part of his shoes.

US officials said the Qatari diplomat joked about his remark and was just smoking a cigarette.

www.presstv.com...

Arab in toilet - smoking maybe something... TERRORIST ALERT!!!

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by JanusFIN
Arab in toilet - smoking maybe something... TERRORIST ALERT!!!

lol - I saw it on sky news when I came in the door

They said it was a possible attempt at a 'joke' after this guy got pulled out of the lav, probably smoking a cigarette, cigar? something more pungent?? - Either way I think it might be this guy saying something like 'what? I was trying to light my shoes on fire!'.

Pretty lame joke considering.

They had to scramble fighters and it's a serious deal - I got no idea, everyone is so jumpy now.

A test of response times, some idiot with a position and no brains? The drug addled son of a diplomat?

They said no explosives were found, someone won't have diplomatic immunity any more though...

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
omg, its the Marlbomber

I got nothin.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I love how the Today Show has a cartoon graphic piece ready to go for everything that happens now, including this. It showed the guy walking out of the lavatory with little wispy fumes coming off him.

The whole machine just gets more and more comical.

Peace

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The story I have been hearing over the european mainstream media is that this guy simply smoked a fag in the the toilets. Being arab, and being isolated in the toilets for some time, the marshal got suspicious and confronted him when he came out. Baffled by the marshals reaction, the diplomat then made a joking remark about the ambiant paranoia, and jested that he was in fact not smoking, but lighting his feet on fire in an effort to down the plane. The marshal went balistic and reacted in the way we know.

Sad, really.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

This is irritating.

The original "News Source" for this article is a "Conservative" blog.

Word Press is a blog, not news, using that as a news source makes the entire story suspect, entirely.

Reading Yahoo news, which may not be Mainstream Media, but more reliable than Word Press, shows this was a diplomat, who was a crass idiot.

Officials: Jet restroom smoker caused bomb scare

Quote from : Officials: Jet Restroom Smoker Caused Bomb Scare

DENVER – An envoy from Qatar who authorities said grabbed a surreptitious smoke in a jetliner's bathroom and then joked about lighting his shoe on fire, sparking a bomb scare and the scrambling of military jets, has been released from custody.

No explosives were found on the Washington-to-Denver flight. Authorities speaking on condition of anonymity said they don't think the envoy was trying to hurt anyone during Wednesday's scare and he will not be criminally charged.

Qatar's U.S. ambassador, Ali Bin Fahad Al-Hajri, cautioned against a rush to judgment.

"This diplomat was traveling to Denver on official embassy business on my instructions, and he was certainly not engaged in any threatening activity," he said in a statement on his Washington embassy's Web site. "The facts will reveal that this was a mistake."

In other words, the diplomat was an idiot, who thought he would diffuse being caught smoking, with a crass and idiotic joke, hopefully the State Department does their job and he becomes Persona Non Grata.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
These so called diplomats play the immunity card whenever they break the rules in their host country.

What a coinkydink we have accommodations for this man right next to Richard Reid at the supermax prison in Florence, CO, "the Alcatraz of the Rockies."

Nicotine fit or not obviously the guys got no brain. I mean he's middle eastern, he's in the bathroom lighting something, when found out he decides to light his shoes on fire. Guess this guy never reads the news. You'd think they would brief their diplomatic workers better.

Maybe he just wanted to liven things up a bit by lighting his fart. Could that be considered a weapon of mass destruction?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
It's likely this person will be sent back home.

The diplomatic immunity keeps our folks safe too. What if one of our diplomats started talking about horoscopes in Saudi Arabia. He could end up being deported or having his head chopped off. Which do you want to happen?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The guy got caught smoking a cig and made a very lame joke. That's it, nothing more to see here. It's not a story to overshadow anything else that may be going on...it's not to take anything else from the top media headlines.

Recap:
Dude decided to sneak a smoke, got caught, made a lame joke and that is it. This is not a big deal. Please move along to the next thread. Perhaps a Mod can lock her up before this strays waaaaaaaay off topic.

Nate

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

Originally posted by freetree64
they just said on the news that he tried to cover up some smell by lighting the shoe's....

[edit on 7-4-2010 by freetree64]

Did he let out a rank fart or something? Smoking weed? Was he drinking? That's just bizarre.

Or did he even light his shoes on fire? Maybe not and maybe it was just a sarcastic comment?

FBI: No Explosives Found on United Jet in Denver

A US security official said, "it may have been a massive misunderstanding" and the diplomat's statement may have been a "sarcastic" comment when he was confronted by two air marshals who had been told by flight attendants that smoke was coming from the lavatory.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acid_Burn2009

Dude decided to sneak a smoke, got caught, made a lame joke and that is it. This is not a big deal.

Made a lame joke about an actual attempted bombing of a plane in a time where a boy scout is on the no-fly list, Security screeners are incompetent and saying the word bomb in an Airport is liable to get you detained for a day...

at least a normal sized deal if not a big one.

[edit on 4/8/2010 by eNumbra]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
An air marshal would know the difference between a low risk situation and a high risk event. The fact that two F-16's were scrambled from NORAD leads one to believe it was the later level of risk. This would add support to the position that Qatar has been going rouge as a USA ally and any event involving their countrymen is to be handled in a highly protective manner.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join