It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IODINE why you need it, and why you have been lied to.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightflower
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

To you and riley and a little bit in general.

I beg your pardon? If I took your advice I would end up having a thyroid storm due to iodine overload and I could drop dead of a heart attack. I am defending people who could be injured by following YOUR irresponsible posts. If you stopped telling people to ignore their doctors I would get off your back.

Originally posted by jjjtir

Why are more doctors not aware of this important information?

[edit on 16-4-2010 by jjjtir]

Makes me wonder how much their qualification is worth...

It would be worth at least six years of school. A little bit more than your six months of "online studying" (googling).. a culmination of which led you to posting a site that sells iodine supplements and books.

Could you make up your mind please? First you tell people to ignore medical advice after YOUR advice was proven to be dangerous, then you said to do so under medical supervision. Now you are back to telling people doctors don't know anything. Why are you back to doing that? because you know full well that REAL medical consultation would result in a REAL doctor telling their patient not to follow your advice.. and then they wouldn't buy your products.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by riley]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Long Lance
reply to post by riley

oh, come on, it's a wacko CT board after all and any good junkie knows to start with a low dose, right? whatever you take is your choice, not caring enough to even try to understand the potential problems is another. if anybody is dumb enough to swallow the entire bottle at once, well, would NOT posting this here prevent it on the long run? as for the disclaimer, well, it would be nice to have but it's really optional.

i see you're apparently allergic to iodine, so far so good, now what about people allergic to certain antibiotics? or peanuts for that matter? there are always exceptions, but that doesn't mean that's all we should think or care about, hopefully.

I'm not allergic to iodine. I have a condition that would be effected if I get too much iodine but ANYONE who takes that much iodine would get iodine overload and get sick. It is not just those who have an underlying conditions that could be injured by following her advice.

She is not just suggesting people take iodine supplements.. she is telling them to take TOXIC amounts and overdose on them.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   

what a bs. If it were toxic, many people would be long dead you know. Myself and my husband included, and all the other people you can read about in other forums that often even take way higher doses than i suggested.

Really i can't take you seriously anymore, you make claims that you can't even proof and there is no reasoning with you whatsoever.

I don't think there is any use in explaining myself to you again, as you either really don't get it, or you simply don't want to get it.

To me you are nothing more than a disinfo agent now.

Have a good day/night.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by Nightflower]

[edit on 16-4-2010 by Nightflower]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Mod Edit of Huge Quote

what a bs. If it were toxic, many people would be long dead you know.

People have died of thryoid storm.

Myself and my husband included, and all the other people you can read about in other forums that often even take way higher doses than i suggested.

It's against ATS rules to promote other web forums.. besides which the ones that DO end up becoming seriously ill from too much iodine intake WOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO POST THERE. You also have been posting false information so for all I know you and your husband might not take iodine at all.

Really i can't take you seriously anymore, you make claims that you can't even proof and there is no reasoning with you whatsoever.

I don't think there is any use in explaining myself to you again, as you either really don't get it, or you simply don't want to get it.

To me you are nothing more than a disinfo agent now.

Have a good day/night.

Dis-info agent? You are the one who started posting medical lies in order to sell whatever you are selling. I have been posting when you have told people to IGNORE medical advice for your dangerous advice.

[edit on 4/16/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by riley

Riiight, so in your mind im selling poison to people, now that would be very bad for buisness, i would run out of customers pretty fast

Seriously, it would be nice if you post something constructive, or nothing at all.

If you believe it is toxic, explain to us why people that take this dose are still alive, after years.

Show us some proof why the material i provided is wrong in your eyes.

Or is it that you just don't want people to know the truth?

Don't you feel ashamed for trying to make information, that could save many lifes, look wrong? Don't you care about others?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   

reply to post by riley

Riiight, so in your mind im selling poison to people, now that would be very bad for buisness, i would run out of customers pretty fast

Seriously, it would be nice if you post something constructive, or nothing at all.

If you believe it is toxic, explain to us why people that take this dose are still alive, after years.

Some people would be dead. If I followed your advice and took the toxic amounts you suggest I would no doubt get thyroid storm and have a heart attack.

Show us some proof why the material i provided is wrong in your eyes.

I already did.. other people already did. You ignored the evidence.. you also agreed that people should take high amounts of iodine only under medical supervision yet every time the page got turned you go back to telling people to ignore or do the opposite of what their doctors say.

Or is it that you just don't want people to know the truth?

Nice try at trying to paint me as a dis-info agent. Again. I am genuinely concerned that your "advice" could kill people.. how about you post what your medical qualifications are? Accusing us of being dis-info agents even though your OP is a link to pro-iodine merchandise.

Don't you feel ashamed for trying to make information, that could save many lifes, look wrong? Don't you care about others?

Don't you feel ashamed for telling people to ignore REAL medical advice? If I followed your advice I would end up dead. If others unknowingly have hyperthyroidism and take to much iodine (on your say so) it could trigger a thyroid storm and they could end up dead. Your irresponsible advice could TAKE lives not save lives. Not only do you post bad information.. but you are actively encouraging people to take medical advice from a biased website instead of someone actually trained in medicine. Are you against hospitals as well?

You are not a medical practitioner so stop pretending you are and stop telling people to not listen to them.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by riley]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I am reposting this so people have a better idea of the risks asscoiated with too much iodine intake.

Originally posted by riley

Originally posted by _damon
reply to post by riley

where is your proof that hyperthyroidism is due to iodine? IN WHAT there is too much iodine?

Be sure to read it carefully so I do not have to re-iterate.

www.medicinenet.com...
In large quantities, iodine can reduce the release of thyroid hormones from the thyroid gland. If the hormones are not released, their effects won't be seen. Occasionally, doctors use this mechanism to control very active thyroid glands that produce too much thyroid hormone. This type of therapy is difficult and is not used as commonly today. An excess of iodine also decreases the blood flow and growth of the thyroid gland, which is characteristic of Graves' disease. As a result, iodine may be used to reduce the thyroid hormone level in conjunction with surgery to remove some or all of the thyroid gland tissue and assure a good outcome.

While I've just explained how too much iodine exposure can actually shut down thyroid hormone production, in other situations, an excess of iodine may actually cause an over-production of thyroid hormone and hyperthyroidism.

If a person has been exposed to relatively little iodine and then consumes a diet rich in iodine, the individual can develop an excess production of thyroid hormone (iodine-induced hyperthyroidism). In general, this occurs in people who have an underlying thyroid disorder that has not yet manifested clinically. Iodine-induced hyperthyroidism is important in areas of the world where iodine intake is high. We actually see this quite commonly in the United States among populations who have emigrated from countries such as Iran and Africa. The name for this response is the " Jodbasedow" effect, which actually occurs only in a small fraction of people at risk. Even though it is relatively uncommon, it is important since administering iodine-containing dyes for medical procedures (such as CT scans, barium procedures, etc.) can trigger this effect.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by riley]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
OP -- thank you for this thread. For the last 3 years I have used macrobiotic cooking methods, which include 2 iodine-related guidelines:

1. Avoid iodized salt since it is chemically altered after being heated to approx. 1100 degrees F in order to make it free-flowing, plus it has a number of anti-nutrient additives...best to avoid completely, therefore.

2. Yes, the most commonly eaten seaweeds contain substantial amounts of iodine. Examples include kelp (also widely labeled under its Japanese name of kombu), wakame, dulse, sea palm, hiziki, arame, nori, and the like. Most of the raw form of seaweed is consumed with sushi, nori being used as the outer wrapper. Most people can find a form of sushi they enjoy, and the raw salt water fishes are not associated with significant parasite risk, only the raw freshwater fishes; that's why eel is generally found cooked in sushi bars. (The comment on parasite risk from raw fish is from my microbiologist friends.) Be careful with volume, though, since a little seaweed goes a long way. Best to get medical advice -- or counseling from your favorite alternative healing practitioner -- on the volume needed, since the dosage varies with your body weight. I use approx. 1 TBSP wakame flakes when cooking a batch of miso soup.

If you are cooking with seaweed, its best to start out with small volumes anyway, because seaweed swells up to many times its original size when rehydrated. I usually buy seaweeds from grocery stores in the Little Tokyo section of Los Angeles...prices are much better than in the natural food stores; I buy the seaweeds from Japan, where they are traditionally processed.

Speaking of miso: Miso has been identified as capable of binding with various radioactive compounds and some heavy metals during the human digestive process, allowing those now-inert substances to be eliminated from the body. This is well-documented...let me know if you need citations on links on that. No I'm not a medical doctor, just a graduate degree in public health.

Hang in there.

[edit on 4/17/2010 by Uphill]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley
It is not just those who have an underlying conditions that could be injured by following her advice.

She is not just suggesting people take iodine supplements.. she is telling them to take TOXIC amounts and overdose on them.

let me kindly point to the following website (already linked by jjjtir in this thread)

www.townsendletter.com...

Additional benefits of consuming iodine in milligram amounts are currently being studied. Among these benefits is detoxification. In one study to determine the optimal dose of iodine, women supplemented with 12.5 mg elemental iodine daily showed increased urine levels of mercury, lead, and cadmium after just one day.11 Although the exact mechanism by which iodine increases immune function is not known, it has long been used therapeutically in various pathologies involving the immune system. Studies have reported that adequate iodine intake is necessary for maintaining normal cell-mediated immunity,24 suppressing certain autoimmune diseases,25 and possibly preventing the development of gastric cancer induced by abnormal growth of Helicobacter pylori.26 The long-term consumption of high-iodide eggs resulted in increased lipid metabolism and thyroid function in animals.25 Long-term consumption suppressed age-induced lipid peroxide accumulation in the brain, reduced serum cholesterol, and elevated tissue lipoprotein lipase activity, which accompanied a moderate hypotriacylglycerolemic effect.

The website may be considered fringe, but these people aren't uninformed, the test speaks for itself. please don't be fooled by the RDA, we are still talking about doses in the low milligram range - but (edit! i thought it was 50µg rather than 150) 83 times the RDA.

there are people who react adversely to peanuts, but for everyone else, they are perfectly edible, but do you see tons of disclaimers because of that? i fail to see the difference, tbh. in the case of antibiotics, the similarities are even greater. you know it's bad for you at even moderate doses and there are people who can't even use ordinary table salt and i feel bad for the, because everyone could easily take as much iodine (and other trace minerals) in exactly the amount s/he needs removing the perceived need for iodizing. doing so would shatter the myth that 'a balanced diet'
will provide you with sufficient nutrients, so that's probably one reason they avoid such topics as soil depletion(click for thread) and the resulting deficiencies. there is of coure much more to know, just search for 'essential sugars' and ask yourself how much ripe fruit you're getting over the year. (ok, maybe you're lucky, who knows)

i still feel the information is valuable, despite the inherent dangers of uninformed use, especially the flourine/bromine/iodine antagonism bit and evidence that hints at detoxifying properties.

[edit on 2010.4.17 by Long Lance]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Long Lance

To be fair, credit where is due... member "zzombie" is the one who provided that link on page 5, not me.

Ok, let me try to stay balanced.

The antioxidant, anticancer properties are talked about in at least one textbook on Iodine.

To be specific, this monster of a textbook by Elsevier, over 1000 pages dedicated to Iodine alone.

Note the Amazon's description, some statistics there that makes one stop and think.

Comprehensive Handbook of Iodine: Nutritional, Biochemical, Pathological and Therapeutic Aspects

What surprised me, is that while some consider "The Original Internist" to be a fringe journal, it was actually cited as a reference in this textbook, and approved to be published.

And the textbook is rather balanced, it didn't forbid people's freedom to try high doses, but it said that patients who choose to consume above 1 mg should do so under supervision of a doctor.

Quote from the book from a chapter on Side Effects.

Individuals who consume iodine at levels above the recommended UL (1.1 mg/day) should do so under the care of a physician and have their thyroid status monitored periodically.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by riley

Dr. David Brownstein has a US medical practice dealing primarily with thyroid patients. He has been quite successful treating hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism(thyroidstorm...) with the iodine/iodide supplement Iodoral that is available over the Internet without prescription. Dr. Brownstein believes that the usual thyroid medication prescribed by doctors is the wrong treatment because it does not deal with the underlying iodine deficiency problem.

www.vitamincfoundation.org...

A critical evaluation of some review articles on iodine-induced hypothyroidism and iodine-induced hyperthyroidism reveals that in most cases, organic forms of iodine are involved.

iodine4health.com...

Without preconceived ideas, it is easily explained -- inorganic, non radioactive iodine/iodide is safe. "The demonstration of the Wolff-Chaikoff Effect in man remains presumptive." Several researchers erroneously concluded that the rapid decrease in serum thyroxine (T4) following oral ingestion of inorganic iodine/iodide in thyrotoxic patients was due to the Wolff-Chaikoff Effect, that is sustained inhibition of T4 synthesis. However, Wartofsky, et al 29 in 1970, evaluated the effect of Lugol solution, administered at five drops (30 mg iodine/iodide) three times a day in five thyrotoxic patients. Following a well-designed protocol, they concluded that "the rapid decrease in T4 secretion induced by iodine is not the result of an acute sustained inhibition of T4 synthesis (The Wolff-Chaikoff Effect), but rather results from an abrupt decrease in the fractional rate of thyroid T4 release." Therefore, in hyperthyroidism, iodine/iodide in Lugol at a daily dose of 90 mg induced a physiological trend toward normalization of thyroid function, a beneficial effect.

www.optimox.com...

I was initially hesitant to use higher (>1mg) doses of iodine due to my concern about causing adverse effects. In reviewing much of the literature there was concern about larger doses of iodine causing hyperthyroid symptoms. However, a further, more exhaustive review of the literature failed to prove that iodine, in milligram doses ever was shown to cause hyperthyroid symptoms. In fact, as iodine levels have fallen over 50% in the last 30 years in the United States, autoimmune disorders and hyperthyroid symptoms have been increasing at near epidemic proportions.”

iodine4health.com...

You see, it is the whole iodine/iodide deficiency that is causing the problems in the first place, and it is furthermore the organic forms of iodine, as in contrast media ect. that is causing allergic reactions ect.

While you should always be careful to take something where you already have a problem, inorganic forms of iodine/iodide as in lugol's, Iodoral ect. are normaly not dangerous, even if taken in higher doses for a long time.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by Nightflower]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Uphill

Yes links are always nice, so others can read about it too

thanks for sharing.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Just a note to everyone here. Please stick to attacking the topic, and not each other. For more information, please read the following:

Courtesy Is Mandatory

ATS T&C

TheBorg
Forum Member and Moderator

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
For a little background on iodine I found a bit of interesting history. You talk about power, greed, read the following, on Iodine.

The discovery of iodine, like most discoveries, was a fortuitous accident. The most fortuitous accident in the history of medicine, is one story many of us are familiar with: the discovery of penicillin. We’ve all heard the stories of the mold ruining the cultures and how suddenly, a mind shift occurred and bingo, the birth of antibiotics. Few realize that penicillin had been discovered a lot earlier, back in the late 1800’s by a medical student.1 But, sadly, the world wasn’t ready for it and, the haughtiness of physicians at that time would not allow them to look upon a mere student’s discovery with more than condescending curiosity. Even fewer are aware that Pasteur discovered and wrote up the first antibiotic experiment, in which he watched a substance gobble up his bacteria specimens. That "substance" was garlic.

In 1811 when Bernard Courtois (1777-1838) discovered iodine, he was not searching for a way to heal his fellow humans. On the contrary; he was looking for a way to kill his fellow humans. Napoleon’s army at the time required huge quantities of gunpowder and supplies were running short. Saltpeter (potassium nitrate—KNO3—sometimes spelled salpeter) is a major component in gunpowder and requires an abundant source of sodium carbonate in order to be manufactured. Sodium carbonate is extracted from wood ashes, but the war had gone on so long that they’d run out of willow wood, the preferred source. Someone suggested using dried seaweed (burnt to ash), which seemed to be abundant off the coasts of Normandy and Brittany. The suggestion worked and the French were back in business, making gunpowder and killing people.

The History of Iodine

www.mnwelldir.org...

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by All Seeing Eye

Interresting read, especially the part about water, iodine, salt and sodium making up everything else, now that they want to limit salt intake.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
...damn.. that was a long read..yes i did actually read all 10 pages and most of the links..took about 1:15 hours...what did you do today..
Been around for a while..and threads like this are why i luv ATS
We had, for the most part, a very informative thread about iodine. Lots of links, pro and con, for THE INDIVIDUAL to STUDY and see if any of the info is pertinant to thier specific situation. I do not think a persons story about what they "did" and how they did "it" and the additional info that they found by doing "it" should be taken as "advice"
..that would be very ignorant on behalf of individual..and sorta defeats the purpose of "Deny Ignorance". What's the diffence between listeninig to your local news and accepting it has fact or reading a 20 sentence post on a "conspiracy" site and accepting that as fact?
We now live in a world were the actuality of things are kept hidden in favor of presenting a munipulated reality... in which we must struggle to find information......

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Had a recent illness with some complications that just wouldn't heal no matter what I threw at it. Iodine proved highly effective at what where probably heavy metal issues. Here are a few links that seem to further connect iodine and the Pineal gland.

www.alkalizeforhealth.net...
curezone.com...
maya12-21-2012.com...

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
As you know the volcano Eyjafyallajokull has been erupting in Iceland since end of March through till today. It will continue erupting and it is widely believed that a larger volcano Katla will also erupt in the weeks to come thus increasing the amount of ash and vapours. At the beginning of April I started to feel ill. At first I did not realise what it was. I had not even the knowledge about the volcano in Iceland. It was only after the air traffic closures that we even knew what was causing our illness. I suffered severe diarrhoea and vomitting. I thought that it was possibly the Salmonella food poison or attack of the Flu. I finally thought it was the Flu. My neighbour went out to get me medication to stop the diarrhoea. The pain in my gut was such that I took stronger than normal Codeine. However a week later we heard that a volcano had erupted in Iceland and thus the aircraft were all grounded. Thus it occured that whilst watching on the internet about the volcano that an Icelandic farmer was telling us that his animals will suffer FLUORINE TOXICITY. The symptoms he described exactly match the symptoms that I suffered. He warned that FLUORINE TOXICITY if not treated will result in tooth decay and Osteoporosis as the Fluorine gets into the teeth and bones. Thankfully my vomitting and diarrhoea was my system getting the FLUORINE TOXICITY out of my blood before it could get into my bones and teeth. So I am okay now. However, what about those around me who did not vomit and diarrhoea ? Are they going to suffer rotten teeth and bones disintergrating ? Probably yes. What is it that saved me ? I take regular mineral and vitamin suppliment from Holland and Barrett. "ABC Plus" contains the IODINE about which you was telling us. I do believe that by ingesting the IODINE that you suggested thus we get to be protected against such FLUORINE TOXICITY that I suffered.

[edit on 25/4/2010 by CAELENIUM]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by CAELENIUM
As you know the volcano Eyjafyallajokull has been erupting in Iceland since end of March through till today. It will continue erupting and it is widely believed that a larger volcano Katla will also erupt in the weeks to come thus increasing the amount of ash and vapours. At the beginning of April I started to feel ill. At first I did not realise what it was. I had not even the knowledge about the volcano in Iceland. It was only after the air traffic closures that we even knew what was causing our illness. I suffered severe diarrhoea and vomitting. I thought that it was possibly the Salmonella food poison or attack of the Flu. I finally thought it was the Flu. My neighbour went out to get me medication to stop the diarrhoea. The pain in my gut was such that I took stronger than normal Codeine. However a week later we heard that a volcano had erupted in Iceland and thus the aircraft were all grounded. Thus it occured that whilst watching on the internet about the volcano that an Icelandic farmer was telling us that his animals will suffer FLUORINE TOXICITY. The symptoms he described exactly match the symptoms that I suffered. He warned that FLUORINE TOXICITY if not treated will result in tooth decay and Osteoporosis as the Fluorine gets into the teeth and bones. Thankfully my vomitting and diarrhoea was my system getting the FLUORINE TOXICITY out of my blood before it could get into my bones and teeth. So I am okay now. However, what about those around me who did not vomit and diarrhoea ? Are they going to suffer rotten teeth and bones disintergrating ? Probably yes. What is it that saved me ? I take regular mineral and vitamin suppliment from Holland and Barrett. "ABC Plus" contains the IODINE about which you was telling us. I do believe that by ingesting the IODINE that you suggested thus we get to be protected against such FLUORINE TOXICITY that I suffered.

[edit on 25/4/2010 by CAELENIUM]

Very interesting how the eruption of the volcano has supposedly caused flourine poisoning.

I have been upping my organic sea salt intake but I don't think that is helping, I keep thinking to eat more kelp and seaweed but it is not very 'practical'.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join