It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"God made us in his own image"--- Which of the 7 Deadly Sins are you

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
OK, I know someone has started a thread on this.
And I have read it, and liked the way it was going.
But I have a thread of my own.

Hope this is ok

Genesis 1:27 - 27 So God created people in his own image; God patterned them after himself; male and female he created them.

If God created us, The average person, in his own image.
What kind of God is he?

I know there are a LOT of good people out there, some people do great things, and mean it from the heart. But sadly, there is a VAST majority who commit sin every day.

Lust
Anger
Pride
Sloth
Envy
Gluttony
Greed

People, average people, people we all know, people we are related to, our neighbours, YOU, ME, and everyone we know. has committed one of these.
Even devout religious people I know have committed them. All we have to do is look at the Catholic Church, my god!!

If you, me, all of us, are made in God’s image. Then God must be an awful chap.
“BLASPHEMY “I hear you say, and you will be right, it is.
But we all do it.

Lust - My god, have you ever been up your local town centre at the nightclubs?
Anger – Just go a drive.
Pride – I don’t see a problem with this one. Discuss, how can pride be bad?
Sloth - spiritual or emotional apathy, neglecting what God has spoken – yip, it’s true
Envy – Oh the people next door have a 52” TV, we must get one...etc, etc, etc
Gluttony – Are we (the developed, 1st world (we have the pc, so we are) a fat people?
Greed – Go check your gas/electricity bill. From corporations to individuals, we are (all to blame)

So
The comeback from god fearing religious people will be “The Devil has made this happen”
If that is the common religious comeback line to this, is it fair to say the Devil has control of this planet and its people?

Just so you know.
I believe in God, but I go to no church, I pay into no church, I believe in MY god. I live my best to the sins. But I do commit most on a regular basis, If we truly define each act as a “proper sin”
For example, I know a mate; he was in a top job as a web designer, earning over £50,000 a year. He got an offer to be a web/graphics designer, and a pay of £60,000 a year. Has he committed the “greed” sin?
I could go on saying things, and coming up with certain things I have personally witnessed, same as the rest of us, I could be here ALL night typing.

So where does this leave us?
There are MANY religions. What religion are you.
Do you blindly follow, or have you had a divine moment to make you KNOW.

Most people I know that follow organised religion, do so blindly. I talk to them, and they are going on a book, a guess. BUT...if it gives this person peace of mind, makes them sociably acceptable and well behaved, and not a burden on society, Maybe if we all believed in it, be it true or false, then maybe the world would be better.

The main question now is, shall I as a person, live a lie, so that I can sleep at night?
Would the world be better if we ALL avoided the 7 sins? I think it would.

Do you live a lie to be happy?
Do you live by your own rules and be unhappy?
Do you believe in your own personal god, and be happy?

What are you?

Shauny.

[edit on 7/4/2010 by shauny]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I'm a person who, wisely, does not believe in the concept of "Sin". Sin is an absolutely rediculous concept when placed in the context of an "all-knowing" and "all-powerful" God in a supposedly deliberately created universe. If we were designed by such an all-encompassing entity then how is it possible to sin against him unless he, himself, desired that we do so? And, even if that be so, how on earth can he hold us, the beings of his own design accountable for our sins, when, in fact, he must have programmed the sin into us in the first place? Recently Toyota vehicles have become infamous because they reportedly are spontaneously accelerating without the driver causing them to do so. Has the car "sinned" against its owner? Can we rightfully blame the car for its errant behavior or are we correct in blaming the designer and manufacturer of the car? Obviously it is Toyota that is to blame for the flaw in its vehicles and not the vehicles themselves.

You can't have it both ways. Either we are the product of deliberate manufacture by a being, or beings, who are powerful enough to do such things or we are the natural result of the unfolding of the naturally occurring universe. In neither case is the concept of "Sin" at all justifiable. We know this from our own experience. A computer that is designed to analyze data from a Mars probe is not going to spontaneously feed us the recipe for chicken soup. It can only deliver what it has been programmed and designed to deliver. Nothing more. Nothing less. If anything, it was God who sinned against us when he blamed us for doing what he had clearly designed us to do!

[edit on 7-4-2010 by godless]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by godless

I think the term "sin" in religion, you might be right.

In terms of just plain "sin" or "wrong" its everywhere.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
lust & laciviousness are my hang-ups, although i do not actively engage or pursue in the fufillment of those baser drives

[edit on 7-4-2010 by St Udio]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Who said god's is a chap anyway! Let's not talk about the comedic value of sin. But the seven deadlies are about the best list of human frailties expressed as motives I've seen. Write the list in different colors and you've got a pretty good list of standard intentions as well.

gj

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
First you should do some research about the topic your discussing. Its hard to have a foundation on a topic when you dont read the bible or know much about it. The 7 deadly sins as you use are not at all in the bible anywhere. Not listed in order. There are many passages in the bible dealing with sin and what god considers sin according to well.. mans idea of what god says is sin and even then the lists change. The origin of the seven deadly sins wasnt even 7 it was 8. It was created by a 4th century monk named Evagrius Ponticus and he listed 8 of them. Later Pope Gregory I revised this list down to 7 removing some and adding others. The list of 7 deadly sins and 7 virtues became famous because of Dante in his poem The divine comedy.

The truth is that most christians impressions of heaven and hell spring from Dantes poem and the art surrounding this and the art of the time.
Well i should say the imagry they have regarding heaven and hell.

As far as man being created in his image, my viewpoint is this. God created man in his image and he was perfect. Man given free will to choose made choices that defied gods command and therefore seperated himself from god with sin. The original sin was disobediance. The fruit or whatever symbolism used to descibe it is irrelevant. The actual sin was disobendiance from gods word. This is how i understand the texts.

What has always confounded me is that the bible claims god to be all powerful and all knowing. He is in a sense everything. He causes all things good and bad. He is everything. He is outside his creation and yet part of it as well. It even says so in isaiah. I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. (Isaiah 45:7, KJV) To attribute the devil with an ability that god has no control over or a kingdom god has no power in is to say god is not fully in control of his creation and not omnipotent. So this being so then didnt he know we would disobey him. Is this his plan? To make us worthy by overcoming this obstacle of sin and in this way perfect opurselves? Its very confusing from a biblical standpoint becuase christians believe that though jesus we are perfect for the kingdom of heaven because jesus took sin to the grave for us. Through him we are redeemed with god. If we so choose to believe in him. Sin was the wide gap that seperated us from god in the beggining and jesus came to bridge that gap. SO the bible says. So god created us in his image, maybe in appearance and or maybe in spirit. If so he made us to be a rebellious spirit and since he knowingly creates both good and bad things and all that is even evil and sin is WITHIN his creation therefore created by him he had to know this was how we would be. God is love as it is stated and so therefore through love we overcome. It was through love sin was conquered in jesus.
Keep i mind i am not christian anymore just what i know of the bible. Done alot of reading and tried to come to some understanding of it based upon my own sense and not what i have been forcefed. However there is so much that can literally be taken one way or another in the bible that there will be 100 differing views of any one passage in the bible. Hence all the different denominations of christianity.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by fizzy1

To be fair, how many people have read the bible these days ?
I know here in Scotchland, nobody does.

Point I am trying to make is, God is going downhill in this world.

I know (And others from Edinburgh will confirm), A church has been turned into a nightclub (A very seedy one at that), In Edinburgh, Scotland. Know about a few more in Scotland.
A place of God is now a place of pretty much all 7 sins.
Says it all.

top topics

join