It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Va. Gov. FORCED to say slavery was cause of the Civil War

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hitemhard
You said it... so now, why don't we also start mentioning that there were in fact African tribe leaders (yes, blacks!) that ended up not only ENSLAVING their own "race" but also, selling them as well to be sold into slavery?

What does any of that have to do with anything we are discussing here? Simply because slavery has existed in many societies throughout human history, from the dawn to the modern age, and that there were Africans who participated in the Atlantic slave-trade, does not somehow justify or excuse the South's role in it nor does it change the root causes of the American Civil War.

Oh, and I want reparations for the suffering of my greek and roman ancestors, as well as my british ancestors who probably were slaves at one point or another.

Are you still bearing the scars from your Greek, Roman and British ancestors' enslavement?

[edit on 8-4-2010 by DoomsdayRex]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex

Are you still bearing the scars from your Greek, Roman and British ancestors' enslavement?

I don't know... aren't the blacks still bickering about that too?

funny thing about that whole "putting your feet in another man's shoes" isn't it?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

I don't know... aren't the blacks still bickering about that too?

Wow.

funny thing about that whole "putting your feet in another man's shoes" isn't it?

And that makes absolutely no sense...

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I wonder if South America has the same issues with the slavery thing? Brazil is said to have recieved 10X the number of slaves that the U.S. did. Kind of a silly subject to be talking about today(2010). I live in a predominatly black city, so I work with a lot of black people, and I live amongst them. Occasionally the subject comes up, my standard conversation ending line is "well, just think of the alternative"- to which I usually get a reply- what do you mean? My answer.. Just think if it never would have happened- where do you think you would be today?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
It's so funny to how ignorant a person can be, Either from the north or the south, when they fail to study history as it really is.

I had the privilege of working with a black man or "African-American", a term he thought was ridiculous and he told me he was doing some geneology work. He found out that his great-great grandfather owned 5 slaves. His great-great grandfather was a free black man who owned property here in the south during the American Civil War.

He told me when he found this out that it made him angry, not at the fact that slaves were owned by an ancestor of his but the fact it was withheld from him all these years.

He told me that through further investigation, his great-great grandfather was against Union occupation and a strong supporter of the Confederacy.

Just to set the record straight, the South didn't lose the Civil War. The north did. General Lee only surrendered to avoid any more bloodshed. An act that was honorable and respected on both sides.

Am I proud to be a Southerner? Let's just say that I am thankful to the Lord God that I was born here, raised here and by His will die here.

It was only the arrogance of the northern states that divided this nation in 1860 and it's the same arrogance that divides it now.

[edit on 8/4/10 by Intelearthling]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

Brother,

I am a child of the Confederacy...right after being a Texan!

That being said,

These douche bags from naacp, azatlan, adl, ect. are either idiots, commie fronts, or both from the get go.

The klan isnt much better, just not commie. I've seen some of the klans publications.

mmmm. The Only thing LESS intelligent sounding is the rags put out by the nation of islam. Havent seen one of those in years.

I believe that this is intentionally being raised AGAIN to divide the races from cooperation.

Divide and conquer.

Oh well. It is what it is.

I just wish the the governor had a pair of balls and told the "snip" to get screwed, sit down, and shut up!

Here lately, I am seeing the "minorities" as the major racists. Remember your "Animal Farm" friend.

All animals are created equal..some are just more equal than others!

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
You know, it seems to me that even if you accept that slavery was the root cause for the southern states to want to secede, you would still have to realize that the Civil War was about whether or not the states had the right to secede. My understanding of the founding of this nation was that the colonies voluntarily joined the union, and had the right to leave the union at their discretion. Of course, I'm not saying that slavery was right in any way, or that it was a good reason to secede. I'm just saying that it was my understanding that states have the right to secede if they chose to do so for whatever reason.

For instance, imagine if the situation was reversed. Suppose a majority of states wanted slavery everywhere and they were close to creating an amendment requiring that slavery be accepted in all states. Would the states that were opposed to slavery have the right to secede? Would they have been allowed to leave the union?

Today, suppose a few states acquired sufficiently-sized testosterone-producing organs to say that they didn't like the way the Federal Reserve was running the government and they wanted to leave the union. Would they be allowed to leave peacefully?

The fact is, slavery is still alive, well, and more prosperous than ever in this country. It just has a different form. And like the previous incarnation, it won't go away peacefully.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by VictorVonDoom]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Ok,
Were missing the point:
1. America following the example of France etc,,,vowed by Almight God, and made a contract The Declaration of Independence,
that contract stated that ALL men both free and bond should at last be given there freedom from the Rule of Kings, and with this new found freedom ALL men would be then at that point in time and history free too hold certain truths to be self evident so on and so forth,, by help of Almighty God this was indeed partly accomplished,, WW2 for instance,, we aint speaking German or Japanease,,
2. It is my assertion that from 1176 onward there has always been a part of that Contract between the U.S and God Almighty that had yet to be fullfilled, and with the very election of Barack Obamma that contract reached it closure point.
3. Both parties having now fullfilled there obligations to that contract
are now free to well lets say persue other interests.

So i guess the big question is IS AMERICA STILL UNDER THE PROTECTION of God Almighty. If not ???? well i guess she's a whole new ball game all over the world.

Thank-You

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by nuffsaid747

We became embroiled in a Civil War BECAUSE when it was about to come due we couldn’t pay the 70-year mortgage that our nation’s leaders had originally contracted from the international banking cartel at the close of the Revolutionary War in 1783. Because we didn’t have the cash reserves on hand to pay off the mortgage, the banking cartel headed by the Rothschilds (who also headed the bank for the Crown of Great Britain) said that an alternative demand to cash was for them to be given a vast amount of land holdings throughout the Southern American states.

When President Lincoln approached political leaders in the South to support the confiscation of the specified personal land holdings, the leaders in the South rejected his demand out of hand. This resulted in the Northern states (the Union) being pitted against the Southern states (The Confederacy).

The Civil War was the result of the state militias of the Southern American states trying to protect their citizens’ personal land holdings from confiscation by the Federal Government to pay off the national mortgage to the banking cartel, an action that would ultimately benefit the British Crown.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by nuffsaid747]

I do believe that I have inadvertently stumbled onto the doorway leading to an alternate universe. How else could I have been exposed to an history that I had never known to exist before?

Now if only I can find my way back to that land where people study facts and not believe something that they may have found in some blog somewhere.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
ya but they WON didn't they.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

My e-mail to Governor McDonnell:

Sir,

Thank you and please do not bend to the whims of NAACP and other groups who wish to have special designated days/months for their ethnic group but condemn others for theirs. The Civil War was a sad time in our history, and the main reason the Confederates succeeded was NOT about slavery.

By the way this e-mail is coming from a Pennsylvanian transplant who's lived in Virginia for over 4 years. You'll gain more respect and votes if you stand up for what you believe and stick by your guns.

Thank you,

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by 5 oClock

What ethnic group is Confederate History Month supposed to be for?

No one is forcing Mr. McDonnell to reject, suspend or discontinue "Confederate History Month"; what was wanted was an acknowledge of slavery and the role it played. However, Mr. McDonnell choose to ignore it then later attempt to downplay it's significance both in Virginia and the Civil War.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5 oClock

My e-mail to Governor McDonnell:

Sir,

Thank you and please do not bend to the whims of NAACP and other groups who wish to have special designated days/months for their ethnic group but condemn others for theirs. The Civil War was a sad time in our history, and the main reason the Confederates succeeded was NOT about slavery.

By the way this e-mail is coming from a Pennsylvanian transplant who's lived in Virginia for over 4 years. You'll gain more respect and votes if you stand up for what you believe and stick by your guns.

Thank you,

Its time we end this bs and stand together as Americans. Not African-American, Asian-American, Mexican-American, Irish-American and etc

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsAgentScully
Its time we end this bs and stand together as Americans. Not African-American, Asian-American, Mexican-American, Irish-American and etc

Does that mean ending things like Confederate History Month? If you want to celebrate Southern heritage, then do so. Why such a narrow focus on four years?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

2: Im sick of the south being denied the RIGHT to celebrate their heritage everytime a civil rights group thinsk its racist. they throw that word around to get what they want like a $2 hooker. this proclamation, the confederate history month has absolutely NOTHING to do with slavery. its about clebrating the fact the your part of america is different than the rest, we rebeled, we fought a bloody war, we had our own country for a little while but we lost and yet were proud of our boys who fought and died for the south.

Actually VIrginia got in to the war because of a lie told by Lincoln. He told them he would evacuate Fort Sumter. So, they agreed not to join the confederacy. Then he turned around and sent soldiers and supplies to the fort.

North Carolina actually wanted to stay out of the war. Lincoln told the general assembly to supply him with soldiers or they would be considerred enemies of the Union. They decided to stand with the Confederacy.

There is a lot of history about the civil war that is never taught. Of course as long as certain special interest have their way it will never be taught.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
So let's just pretend for a second and say the Civil War was about slavery. The fact that still remains it that South lost!

If people can't get over the fact of this loss, imagine if the South would have won.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
The most heartbreaking aspect of life in post civil war America... which continues to this day... is that young black students reject education as "acting white".

So after refusing to avail themselves of the tools of success, their subsequent failure later in life is blamed on racism.

It's painful to see, because nobody ever raised their own quality of life by refusing to learn and then casting the blame elsewhere.

I may get flamed for saying that but so be it. Problems do not get solved when people refuse to admit they exist in the first place.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
As wrong as slavery was, it's still makes up a huge part of American History and the American culture.
As a result the US has benefited by not having to succumb to playing the game of soccer, instead we have MLB, the NFL and the NBA.
Granted, sports is nothing but a form of entertainmant but it is what it is, PLUS it's a huge money maker too.

So do us all a favor once and for all, Get over it!

At least now the rest of the world is playing and enjoying the game of basketball too.

Please explain this post as is makes absolutely no sense to me! What has slavery have to do with baseball and basketball?

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Hitemhard

So now since you're asking us to own up to our heritage, I want all blacks to own up to the fact that yes, even in YOUR culture you were sold out to slavery.

Look this is something people don't seem to understand. Slavery to those Africans was an entirely different system, they didn't even have the word SLAVE in their vocabulary. AND it was the Muslims that sold the majority of the slaves..not the nomadic tribes. Were slaves in America able to kick their slave owners ass if they mistreated them..no. Were slaves ever able to become part of the slave owners family and receive benefits from being a part of that family..no. Did those Africans keep their slaves in bondage for all their lives..no! Unlike in Africa..in America slaves were considered goods...and goods don't have the same rights as human beings.

How many groups of people that were enslaved..shipped to another continent..and purposely held down and back and dehumanized because of they were ethnically different than others. Yea Romans had slaves..but they didn't say were going to enslave this guy because his skin color is different from mine. These Euro-centric ideals were created to justify the enslavement of a different group and that is how the social construct known as racism was born. It seems to me that some are unable to cope with what their predecessors did so they can get ahead.

Yes, slavery was around before the Europeans...take it however you want..but no one bothered to create an institution as extensive as the Pans American Slave Trade...no one. When the Haitians won their temporary freedom the US enacted laws to prevent such an uprising among their own slaves...how's that for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness eh?

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jimmy1880
Please explain this post as is makes absolutely no sense to me! What has slavery have to do with baseball and basketball?

Jimmy, what I stated was directly related to something another Jimmy said once upon a time.
I don't remember his exact words so I'll paraphrase, but sports commentator Jimmy the Greek once said that the reason blacks excel in sports is because back in the days of slavery, the white masters would mate their biggest-baddest Mandingo slave with their biggest-baddest wench for the purpose of giving birth to an even bigger-badder black baby.

I've known a few blacks that actually take pride in this very topic.

We all can agree this happened more than we care to admit, and though it most likely may be true, he never should have said it.

This is the comment that eventually got him fired.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join