It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Va. Gov. FORCED to say slavery was cause of the Civil War

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
He wasn't forced to do anything. He is a shill, pandering for votes, that caved to the professional victims/extortionists at the naacp. He caved in an attempt to remain in office regardless of what real history is, the professional victims at the naacp have their own version and they intend to play decks full of race cards to achieve their agenda. He is beneath contempt.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
FYI the south seeded from the union over slavery yes. The north didn't want the new states in the union to be slave states and threaten their new money maker, why should the slaves work for free when they can work for us for damn near free!

But there is more to it. Slavery was a main factor, but the root cause? No. There was alot going on during this time *cough* industries is just an example.

Hell Honest Ab didn't even like black people and could care less about them. He went to war cuz the south seeded. And they seeded because they wanted to keep their slaves, which was a cash crop and they didn't trust a yanky by the name of Ab Lincoln, whom i must repeat, didn't want any of the new states to be slave states. So the south left the Union..to preserve their way of life...

So..technically what that Virginia governor said was correct. Heh, it's quite hilarious to see people get worked up over this...it really is!

[edit on 8-4-2010 by cenpuppie]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
i've watched the whole argument last night. i'm getting sick and tired of hearing all these complaints and asking for reparation. I'm not from this country, had nothing to do with this, why should i pay for it? but then again talking about this with the wifey i cam to this conclusion.

The old 40acres and a mule thing should be done this way. Give them the value of 40acres. It would cost roughly over $1 billion dollars to pay them all off. One generous and smart billionaire should donate the money. tell them the reparation debt has been paid and shut the hell up.

23% of Afr-American would move to the top 10%, only for a short while since they would most likely go on a spending spree, which in turn would boost the economy and in the end the rich billionaire would probably get most of the money back.

If the reparation is paid, no longer can they ask for any kind of government help no talk about racism or anything. Since the debt has been paid you can no longer use slavery argument.

Easy fix really that would benefit all.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2
reply to post by BobAthome

There's an explanation!

And I think you are wrong...

While I will agree that non white people have had, and to an extent still do have, an uphill battle, a black guy being elected president wasn't the end all be all.

Thank you sir. No it was to put a black face on the NEO and Garner more minority support for the globalization adgenda.

As far as the war its been stated here Lincoln needed more support so he tossed slavery into the fray. Lincoln was a blatant racist and in no way supported equal rights as coffinmans quotes shows. While states rights was the cause the arrogance of the south in wanting to keep people as chattel can in no way be seen as a right. The fact that some Southerners still argue this point out of one side of their face whoever complaining about the government taking away their rights and treating them like chattel on the other side of there face is hilarious to say the least.

Also while the declaration of independence and most of Jefferson's quotes are great words that should be revered and held dear lets not forget the men. Jefferson, Washington etc. were all slave owners who didn't count anyone but whites as real people.Their words were great the men were garbage. Conversely people don't go around quoting Hitler because of the man he was, but hitler made some great speeches and on his states rights before it all snowballed into world conquest.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by mbkennel

reply to post by Southern Guardian

Thank you both for bringing much needed historical facts into a discussion full of propaganda and spin. The belief that the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery or that slavery was only a minor factor is modernist propaganda, an attempt to white-wash and ignore parts of our history.

Many here seem to think that southern culture and history begin and end with the Confederacy. It is perplexing to me as a Southerner. The Confederacy entails only four years of the very rich, several hundred year history of the American South. There is much to be proud of as Southerners. We have had an influence on and made contributions to the United States and the world that few other regions can boast of. So be proud of being a Southerner, but don't do it at the expense of history.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
IMHO, this recent announcement by the VA Governor is related to the "letter" served to the 50 Governors that was sent by the Guardians of the Free Republics as one of the stages of The Restore America Plan. I think this because of what Guardians of the Free Republics have said about the Civil War. What follows are comments of someone who was asked to be a signatory on the Declaration of Restoration and two sets of comments of Sam Kennedy's that were said in radio interviews dated March 29, 2010 and April 4, 2010.

Comments of someone who was asked to be a signatory on the Declaration of Restoration:
Our country was taken over during the civil war, our constitution is effectively shut down, we are living in "commerce" today under international and administrative law (also feudal law of equity - bankruptcy). Our government is a corporation, just like our states, just like our courts, just like in international law all "persons" are "corporations" and "corporations" are "persons".

Comments of Sam Kennedy made in a March 29, 2010 radio address that I am paraphrasing here, but are available to confirm by listening to a record of this interview entitled, “De Jure Grand Jury- Presentment March 29th 2010- Restore America Project”
www.youtube.com...

We became embroiled in a Civil War BECAUSE when it was about to come due we couldn’t pay the 70-year mortgage that our nation’s leaders had originally contracted from the international banking cartel at the close of the Revolutionary War in 1783. Because we didn’t have the cash reserves on hand to pay off the mortgage, the banking cartel headed by the Rothschilds (who also headed the bank for the Crown of Great Britain) said that an alternative demand to cash was for them to be given a vast amount of land holdings throughout the Southern American states.

When President Lincoln approached political leaders in the South to support the confiscation of the specified personal land holdings, the leaders in the South rejected his demand out of hand. This resulted in the Northern states (the Union) being pitted against the Southern states (The Confederacy).

The Civil War was the result of the state militias of the Southern American states trying to protect their citizens’ personal land holdings from confiscation by the Federal Government to pay off the national mortgage to the banking cartel, an action that would ultimately benefit the British Crown.

The deeds for the vast land holdings designated by the banking cartel did eventually make their way to the banking cartel (and the Crown) anyway, this was because of “carpetbaggers”. People who bought up land following the Civil War called “carpetbaggers” inundated the Southern states immediately following the close of the War. Collectively, they purchased large tracts of prime land at mere pennies on the dollar with respect to the land’s true value. Washington portrayed this as being a necessary evil within the context what was called Reconstruction, the period of time in which the American South was rebuilt following the close of the Civil War.

Comments of Sam Kennedy in his 04-04-10 "Take No Prisoners" radio address on the Republic Broadcast Network (RBN):
“Now, finally, since 1860 this is the first time we have been back in a binding contract with our public officials and they must now obey the Constitution or face the penalties. They’ll be personally liable and, believe me, among the 1300 People who signed this, there are many skilled People in contract law. I wouldn’t want to go up against them in any court anywhere, whether it’s the court of the de jure Grand Juries or the courts of the united States of America and these restored REPUBLICS.”

“As one by one you’re going to see the law venue change, the flags [in courts] change, as the names of the States change from State of New York, a CORPORATE entity, back to the original New York which was a signatory to the Constitution.”

“By the way, those of you who say Constitution of the united States, you’re not reading from the original Constitution. Check out the original document. It says Constitution for the united States. And the present Constitutions that many of you refer to even in textbooks that say Constitution ‘of’, that is the CORPORATE substitute from 1865 with the United States victory at the Appomattox Court House. Everything changed and you don’t even know it. One word, when President Clinton said it all depends on how you define the word ‘is’, he wasn’t kidding. Just change the word ‘is’ to the word ‘for’ and ‘of’. The original Constitution which you can check out on the internet just put in ‘Constitution photo’ and you’ll see photos of the original is the Constitution for the united States and the ones in your textbooks that say Constitution ‘of’ are not the original article. That’s why our Declaration says circa 1787. There’s been a swindle right under your nose and you don’t know it.”

[edit on 8-4-2010 by nuffsaid747]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2
I'll look for the video of this but did any one else catch Roland Martin during the 2 o'clock hour of "Rick's List" state that the people on the Confederate side were terrorists?

That made me angry. I'll be clear here: not a fan of slavery! but I think the South exercised their rights as Americans.

Did they seriously say that the Confederates were terrorists??

Next thing we know they will be saying that the Revolutionaries in Colonial America were terrorists...

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Wow..when DOES it end? I'm sick of all this pandering to blacks here as well..it all began with me when it became 'a courtesy" to refer to blacks as African-Americans..yet we're still 'white'....why not call us European-Americans?! guess that same courtesy doesn't extend to anyone else. meanwhile, what are they referred to anywhere else in the world? African-Germans...or African-Australians?! SOOOO stupid...ya this is BS this whole nation is for whatever reason enthralled by a race of people that no less than 25-30 years past were looked at just the opposite.

I just don't see how anyone, specially a political figure, could be bullied by an organization such as the NAACP....bunch of a**holes. Go on public record by explaining what the Civil War was fought about...need be..produce documentation on camera...so ridiculous. Sick of all this bull# in this country.....

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by OrphenFire

Yes sir he did...here is the link to Roland's website, it should be the first video.

Hopefully..this embeds correctly...

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Lol the emancipation proclaimation. It only became about slavery because northerners were like
"uh....what are we fighting...exactly?"

So abe was like..well...slavery!

It's funny how nobody cares to look into real history now and abe is touted as some big civil rights hero. Just dumb.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I thought the war was over the battle at Fort Sumter.

Fort Sumter was a fort held by United States troops that was in one of the seceding states. The Confederacy raised an army and attacked Fort Sumter which started the Civil War.

If the Confederacy had been smarter about things, played it cool, played it peaceful, Gandhi like, they would have eventually been able to leave. Maybe not under Lincoln but as time went on, the people and politicians in the United States would have grown bored and tired over the issue and just let the southern states go.

It was the attack by the Confederate army on a U.S. held fort in the south that caused the Civil War, not states rights, not slavery.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I'm having a hard time understanding this one. Why are we having a Confederate History Month anyways? Didn't they lose the war? So are we going to have a Japanese History month to celebrate those kamakazi pilots? Or a Taliban History month to celebrate those brave men and women with the bomb vests? To me, this is just the bitter southerners trying to silently advocate for those who still want to succeed from the states. It's just blows my mind the way these folks are all about patriotism and the Great USofA when their guy is in charge, but lose an election and then the sky is falling, the confederate flags all get hung up again, and we hear all about us damn yankees. Slavery might not have been the only reason behind that war, but it was a big part of it.
This is the UNITED States, not Divided States. The South lost, get over it. And to use some of that good ole boy teminology, If ya don't like it here, you can always move over to Iraq, or N. Korea and tell them all about how the south will rise again. But please stop romanticizing those times. These people tried to divide our country and from all appearances still are. Btw, I lived in the South, recently. And believe me, racism is still alive and well, even more so since the election of President Barak Obama. And there are plenty of people here that really are hoping and praying for another civil war. To me these are very dangerous people, regardless of what they say their intentions are with these "all hail the confederacy" proclamations. To me this has all the appearances of a group trying to fire up those who share their ideaologies and only serves to divide us even more than we already are now. And please don;t give me the celebrating our heritage thing either. That war was 150 years ago. Nobody remembers those times because nobody alive lived in those times, and neither did your parents. If you've lived in this country your whole life, then your heritage is probably the same as the rest of us. Sid and Marty Kroft shows on Sat, Summer Vacations to National Parks, Boo Berry Cereal, Big Wheels with the speed brake, and all the rest of the things we all grew up with.
Again, the South lost the War. Yes alot of brave folks died in that fight. But we don't celebrate the losers, we celebrate the winners. Long live the north, and long live The United States of America.

[edit on 4/8/10 by Chillidog1]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Hey OP, you don't have a clue what you're talking about....see below. I'll take the professors word over yours any day...

Michael Kazin
Professor of History, Georgetown, co-editor Dissent :

I've been teaching about the causes of the Civil War for over 30 years and don't think I have ever heard a student sound as ignorant about its causes as Gov. Bob McDonnell appears to be: "There were any number of aspects to that conflict between the states. Obviously, it involved slavery. It involved other issues. But I focused on the ones I thought were most significant for Virginia."

Just a few facts you might want to know for the exam, Bob: it was in colonial Virginia that African-American slavery first became established in custom and law in North America; every antebellum president from Virginia was a large slaveholder; the decision of the Virginia legislature to secede made it possible to establish the Confederacy, all of whose leaders were slaveholders, and who directed their troops to kill those captured Union prisoners who were former slaves; Abraham Lincoln, the first and most revered president of your own party, made clear in his second Inaugural address that slavery "was the cause of the war." So how was slavery not "significant" for Virginia?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
I'm just curious...why do you care so much?

My question to you is, why don't you care enough? People whine all day about how "religious organizations" are trying to depict history inaccurate to make their history more important or erase past wrongs.

Why is it any less horrific when the NCAAP does it? What makes them so special? Because they're black?

I've also heard that the reason why the United States entered WWII was because of the holocaust. (Which isn't the reason, US entered the world due to Pearl Harbor, even at this time they, the US never declared war on Germany.)

Our history should be set in stone so we will never forget. As they say, "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it." Well, changing history is just as good as forgetting it in my humble opinion.

I find it truly sickening that the NCAAP even have the odacity to demand that anyone does anything.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
"Reparations" is a term that has been thrown out here a lot, but look at it carefully. There has been so much intermarrying and "passing over the color line" that a goodly fraction of "white" America carries African blood. Reparations would naturally require blood testing to determine who gets the dough and where would it all lead? Break up of families over who is more white than others? It can't be denied that race is America's anchor around its neck, but do we want to get over it with postive acceptance or lies. The truth about "Johnny Reb" is that the ordinary soldier was not a slave holder, didn't understand he was just as impoverished as any slave, and had the confederacy won, he would have gone back to being looked down upon by the land owning aristocracy whose slave-worked profits drove the south into war. Yes, it was all about slavery in the end, but it was also about the poor white share croppers who had nothing left to them but pride in skin color. The Confederacy was a sham and scam, and the current GOP agenda plays on the fiddle to continue the big manipulations of the southern white poor man.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman
OMG!!!! that is so blatantly a LIE its disgusting. Im watching CNN right now and they are discussing it. the NAACP and other civil rights groups have forced the virginia governor to say that slavery was the CAUSE of the civil war and it WAS NOT. THATS FACT historic concrete fact. the VA Gov. has now been smeared and shamed over this because he forgot to mention slavery in his proclomation.... guess what IT WASNT ABOUT SLAVERY...
man that just irks me... his proclamation, his confederate pride month has NOTHING to do with slavery, QUIT PLAYING YOUR RACISM CARD TO GET YOUR WAY !!!!

So why did the Virginia Ordinance of Secession specifically refer to the "oppression of the Southern slaveholding states?"

And why did the other seceding states specifically refer to slavery in their secession articles?

South Carolina was the first to secede, and it's secession declaration stated:

They have encouraged and assisted thousands of our slaves to leave their homes; and those who remain, have been incited by emissaries, books and pictures to servile insurrection.

A geographical line has been drawn across the Union, and all the States north of that line have united in the election of a man to the high office of President of the United States, whose opinions and purposes are hostile to slavery. He is to be entrusted with the administration of the common Government, because he has declared that that "Government cannot endure permanently half slave, half free," and that the public mind must rest in the belief that slavery is in the course of ultimate extinction.

This sectional combination for the submersion of the Constitution, has been aided in some of the States by elevating to citizenship, persons who, by the supreme law of the land, are incapable of becoming citizens; and their votes have been used to inaugurate a new policy, hostile to the South, and destructive of its beliefs and safety.

On the 4th day of March next, this party will take possession of the Government. It has announced that the South shall be excluded from the common territory, that the judicial tribunals shall be made sectional, and that a war must be waged against slavery until it shall cease throughout the United States.

The guaranties of the Constitution will then no longer exist; the equal rights of the States will be lost. The slaveholding States will no longer have the power of self-government, or self-protection, and the Federal Government will have become their enemy.

Feel free to Google any state's secession declaration and do a Ctrl-F for "slave" and count how many times you click "Next."

Spoiler alert: in the combined declarations of Texas, Georgia, Mississippi and South Carolina, you get 82 uses of slave or slavery.

Perhaps you should read some non-revisionist histories of the Civil War.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jcjace
i've watched the whole argument last night. i'm getting sick and tired of hearing all these complaints and asking for reparation.

Please cite some of these requests for reparations that you claim to hear so much about.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
We have the same thing with our former colonies, but will anyone explain to this Dutchman, what the REAL reasons were for the civil war ? maybe some numbered points ?
Were the English involved in this ? just wondering..

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
The way I see it,

If we can't have confederacy month, then we shouldn't have black history month. Dr King believed in a world of equality, not a world where you constantly have to worry about the naacp having an issue with things not going their way. There is absolutely nothing they do that promotes equal rights, they've become a power and money hungry corporation. If the Civil War was fought over slavery - Guess what!? It's over! Gone! Move along please.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper
My question to you is, why don't you care enough? People whine all day about how "religious organizations" are trying to depict history inaccurate to make their history more important or erase past wrongs.

Why is it any less horrific when the NCAAP does it? What makes them so special? Because they're black?

They aren't. They are right to point out that that slavery played a significant role in the history of Virginia and the succession of Virginia from the United States. The only people try to re-write history are people like you, the OP and everyone who tries to white-wash and ignore it's significance, buying into 160 year old Confederate propaganda.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join