It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Va. Gov. FORCED to say slavery was cause of the Civil War

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
OMG!!!! that is so blatantly a LIE its disgusting. Im watching CNN right now and they are discussing it. the NAACP and other civil rights groups have forced the virginia governor to say that slavery was the CAUSE of the civil war and it WAS NOT. THATS FACT historic concrete fact. the VA Gov. has now been smeared and shamed over this because he forgot to mention slavery in his proclomation.... guess what IT WASNT ABOUT SLAVERY...
man that just irks me... his proclamation, his confederate pride month has NOTHING to do with slavery, QUIT PLAYING YOUR RACISM CARD TO GET YOUR WAY !!!!

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Absolutely. If the war had not happened, they still would have stopped using slaves just because technology was reducing the need for masses of laborers. It was mostly as matter of the southern states having a hissy fit over the industrial superiority of the north. Which was amply demonstrated, I might add.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I'm just curious...why do you care so much?

IMO...slavery would of been a much better reason for the Civil War than what it was really fought for.

But to be clear...it was a FACTOR in the war...maybe not over the morality of it...but it was a FACTOR.

+10 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Well what do you expect? For Marxists racist criminals in the NAACP to actually READ the true history? After hearing that a dog (cannine) was found racist today, it wont be to much longer before Shakespeare and Washington will be black and White skin will be outlawed. Welcome to 7% of the world pop Whitey.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
As wrong as slavery was, it's still makes up a huge part of American History and the American culture.
As a result the US has benefited by not having to succumb to playing the game of soccer, instead we have MLB, the NFL and the NBA.
Granted, sports is nothing but a form of entertainmant but it is what it is, PLUS it's a huge money maker too.

So do us all a favor once and for all, Get over it!

At least now the rest of the world is playing and enjoying the game of basketball too.

+16 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

umm 2 reasons

1: THEY ARE LYING.... its historically inaccurte to a T. it is FACT that it was fought over States Rights..

and now a quote from "Honest Abe"
"I will say that i am not, nor have i ever been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, that i am not, nor ever have been in favor, of making voters and jurors out of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to internarry with white people; and i will say in addition to this that there isa physical diference between the white and black races which i believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality."
-Abe Lincoln, 4th debate with Dougals, Charleston, Illinois 18th September 1860 Source: "Timeline of the Civil War: The ultimate guide to the war that defined america" by John D. Wright

2: Im sick of the south being denied the RIGHT to celebrate their heritage everytime a civil rights group thinsk its racist. they throw that word around to get what they want like a $2 hooker. this proclamation, the confederate history month has absolutely NOTHING to do with slavery. its about clebrating the fact the your part of america is different than the rest, we rebeled, we fought a bloody war, we had our own country for a little while but we lost and yet were proud of our boys who fought and died for the south.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I'll look for the video of this but did any one else catch Roland Martin during the 2 o'clock hour of "Rick's List" state that the people on the Confederate side were terrorists?

That made me angry. I'll be clear here: not a fan of slavery! but I think the South exercised their rights as Americans.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

im from new york so im not being southernly bias here. damn right they were exercising their rights. more and more CNN shows its agenda... the media period really... it disgusts me to no end which is why i was infuriated to the point of starting this thread...

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
From my take on history, and the civil war is an important part of history on different levels. For starters it kick started the American Medical Association, leading to improvements in how you deal with those who are sick and injured. The US Army still studies the battles of the American Civil war, looking at the battles that were won and lost. The US Navy gained as it started the progress towards the improvement in ships, from wood to metal and another point was with sub warfare. But my understanding that the initial reasons for the Civil war was very numerous, one being the rights of the States versus that of the Federal government. The slavery issue did not come into play until after the battle of Gettysburg, when President Lincoln, having to deal with an unpopular war and the number of people dieing, to gather support from the northern states, included it to where it was then on a moral issue and that the practice was a horrid one.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

You know what, it's refreshing to see a Yank say that!

I don't wanna get into how much I dislike CNN, but I agree.

I don't see how people say they are in the center...

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
its on john king right now on CNN....

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
IMO...slavery would of been a much better reason for the Civil War than what it was really fought for.

Which is???

I was always taught that Lincoln went to war to preserve the Union.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Did u guys ever stop and think that with the election of Barrack Obamma, who is for a lack of a more dignified description,, of another House so too speak,,and upon his said election, the contract between the "PEOPLE" and the above mentioned party is now Paid In Full.
Both parties are now free to persue other endevours.
Thank-You

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

I am not following, so with all due respect..

What?!

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Well son i guess i could have said ,,divorced ,,,,, but i think u get the jist of what im filling ya with,,, lol sorry

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

No, son, I do not....

That is why I asked

"I don't scratch my head unless it itches"

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Your on your own,, i dont know how too tell u this but the ONLY condition of that Declaration of Independence which was Not fulliled untill the election of Pres. Obamma was it was too have included ALL men free and bond, black or white,,that condition has now been met.
And so on and so on

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

You are, of course, absolutely right in that the War was over the Rights of the States, as opposed to the Power of Washington D.C. I have always said the South should have freed the slaves, then opened fire on Fort Sumter. I was appalled that the governor of Virginia, the very middle of the Confederacy, cowed down to pressure from who knows who. Why do you think men and woman still re-enact this war's battles over and over. I know that the Montauk boys messed around with the Civil War, a lot. The war was a turning point for true sovereignty of the States, and the individuals that live in the States.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

There's an explanation!

And I think you are wrong...

While I will agree that non white people have had, and to an extent still do have, an uphill battle, a black guy being elected president wasn't the end all be all.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Who said he was Black? Oh how the House of Isshachar has fallen, get up i say, for are u not of this same Holy House,, on the left flank forever?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join