It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA finds more REAL invisible threats to Earth than expected

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I came across an interminable ATS thread about imaginary threats of destruction to Earth from some planet or failed star that reminded me how threatened we REALLY are, and how new technology has magnified not only the threats, but the potential of finding one that we never before saw or imagined coming.

In 2010 the Wide Field Infrared Explorer (WISE) telescope began surveying the sky in the infrared for evidence of extinct comets or dark asteroids that could not be detected by optical telescopes from Earth's surface.

WISE will perform the most detailed infrared survey of the entire sky to date. Its millions of images will expose the dark side of the cosmos -- objects, such as asteroids, stars and galaxies, that are too cool or dusty to be seen with visible light. The telescope will survey the sky one-and-a-half times in nine months, ending its primary mission when the coolant it needs to see infrared light evaporates away.

WISE launched on Dec. 14 from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. Once it was thoroughly checked out in space, it was ready to "flip its lid [on December 29, 2009]."

www.nasa.gov...

Unfortunately, a great many ATS members' time and a lot of bandwidth are wasted on speculation about objects that have no basis in fact, instead of the startling and unexpected results that WISE has provided thus far.

As of this post, WISE has found more than 1,000 objects that no one could have seen before. These are mostly comet remnants and asteroids too dark to reflect sunlight (instead of rogue planets and dead stars). But the volume of finds is astounding, as is the potential for a real trouble-maker of an asteroid:

"Our instrument is finding hundreds of asteroids every day that were never detected before," says Ned Wright, principal investigator for WISE and a physicist at the University of California in Los Angeles. "WISE is very good at this kind of work."

www.redorbit.com...

Most of these invisible asteroids remain harmlessly in the main asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, but many of them are the kind of Earth-approaching asteroids that potentiaclly threaten Earth's inhabitants just as the dinosaurs were.

"WISE has only been in orbit for about three months, but we've already found a handful of asteroids classified as 'potentially hazardous,' including one seen in 1996 but lost until re-observed by WISE. To be named 'potentially hazardous,' an asteroid has to pass within about 5 million miles of Earth's orbit. One of our discoveries will cross Earth's orbit less than 700,000 miles away."

Once again, it turns out that the truth is far more dangerous than the fiction devouring members' time and ATS' resources.

And, once again, it will turn out that no one cares about the real danger when it's so much more fun to make believe, guess and speculate.

My bet is that you will not see any "Nibiru" faithful or "Nemesis" scholars or "Planet X" prophets in this thread. I'm sure guessing about monsters is more fruitful than pondering the danger of reality.

See also:
Killer Asteroid Project

Deny ignorance.

jw

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

You see...

You see what you've done here, don't you?

You have spent a lot of time and effort in the though and construction of your very nice thread post, that frankly contains a wonderfully logical content, and sober realities too ponder on too...but you've missed the glaring, screaming logical truth of one further possible scenario..both of threat scenarios 'killer asteroids, or a wandering dwarf star, shepherding worldlets and asteroidal debris, are not mutually exclusive.

Both could be correct. At the same time.

[edit on 7/4/2010 by spikey]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I've only posted a couple of times, but this struck me as so rational and intelligent that I had to come out from under my rock. It is refreshing to see people recognizing that there are very real threats, PROVEN threats that need to be at the top of our problem-solving agenda, rather than the unproven (although I won't say impossible, by any means) threats that we can not accurately predict or anticipate. Thanks for this very rational thread. S & F for you.

Roitelet

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
You know what I think is the problem ?

Spotting an asteroid which is probably going to miss Earth all together. As we are missed countless millions of times before. Warning everybody only spreads fear. There is in fact nothing we could do to make it go away.
Ok maybe one or two or even three. What about the next few thousands of rock.

With Nibiru, nemesis or planet x which is hardly an ATS issue but a global one all together. At least there is something to talk about. What is there left to say about a nearly invisible asteroid which will probably miss Earth anyway ? And if one is on a collision course. Well... IMO Ignorance is bliss.

I know I'm gonna die.But I'd prefer not to be briefed about the exact date and location.

Just my two cents.
Great thread by the way
except for the bashing of our fellow ATS members who do think Nibiru , planet X or Nemesis is worth a conversation,debate or discussion.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
reply to post by jdub297

You see what you've done here, don't you?
You have spent a lot of time and effort in the though and construction of your very nice thread post, that frankly contains a wonderfully logical content, and sober realities too ponder on too...but you've missed the glaring, screaming logical truth of one further possible scenario..both of threat scenarios 'killer asteroids, or a wandering dwarf star, shepherding worldlets and asteroidal debris, are not mutually exclusive.

Both could be correct. At the same time.

Actually, one is proven by scientific observation that can be verified/reproduced by anyone with the information; and, the other has no scientific basis whatsoever and is not provable by anyone by any means, much less verifiable.

The first is verifiable fact; the second is myth.

jw

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by roitelet

It is refreshing to see people recognizing that there are very real threats, PROVEN threats that need to be at the top of our problem-solving agenda, rather than the unproven

If anyone wanted to start a potentially valuable thread based on speculation, they could do a follow-up on a possible solution.

What do we do now that we know they're out there, they're close-by, and they are potentially dangerous?(And they're finding "hundreds of these objects" EVERY DAY!)

I'd like to see some solid speculation and educated guess-work
on THAT!

Thanks for the interest. Got any ideas? Shoot 'em? Divert 'em.
Mine them for resources? Tug them into orbit? What?

jw

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
sooo.....

just take their word for it.

way to deny ignorance!
swallow what a group full of liars tell you.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Well... IMO Ignorance is bliss.

Welcome to the club!

As for Nibiru, et al, I'm not saying they aren't worthy of discussion.

There's a HUGE difference between discussing possibilities and claiming "PROOF." (And then fighting for ten pages, claiming "hate" for members with countervailing facts, denying verifiable or scientific fact, and becoming irate after being provided indisputable fact that their "proof" is false.)

It's one thing to hope, dream, wish or guess, and another altogether to deny and attack verifiable observations.

It's one thing to say "what if," but another to deny evidence to the contrary when you claim to have found "proof" that has no basis in fact.

ATS is all about "what if;" that's why I came here in the first place! ATS is not the place to ignore astronomical facts, to refuse to go outside and look up and to insist that you're right only because you say you're right. Or to personally attack the people who've proven you wrong.

jw

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahmose
sooo.....
just take their word for it.
way to deny ignorance!
swallow what a group full of liars tell you.

Why, yes, exactly!

Especially if the "lies" have been confirmed by others with no axe to grind or agenda. Or have been independently verified by subsequent measurements once the others have been shown where to look and what to look for.

Better than believing in fairy tales, I'd say.

jw

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas

I know I'm gonna die.But I'd prefer not to be briefed about the exact date and location.

Not all asteroids or cometary fragments are planet killers. In fact probably most of what is being found are not.

Instead of being told you were gonna die, how would you feel about being told you had six months to get out of town or you're gonna die?

[edit on 4/7/2010 by Phage]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297
reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread559314/pg1#pid852049

ATS is all about "what if;" that's why I came here in the first place! ATS is not the place to ignore astronomical facts, to refuse to go outside and look up and to insist that you're right only because you say you're right. Or to personally attack the people who've proven you wrong.

jw

How would you go about getting someone to go outside and look up? Haven't had a lot of success with this and could use some advice. Very nice thread and I like your tone.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by luxordelphi

How would you go about getting someone to go outside and look up? Haven't had a lot of success with this and could use some advice. Very nice thread and I like your tone.

You can't. Too many people have absolutely no grasp of fundamental astronomy. Failure of the parents and the schools, though; I don't blame the refusers since they wouldn't know what they were looking for or seeing anyway.

All you can do is give them the tools and instructions. This is what the WISE project is doing.

Some people are using WISE to follow-up, verify, or question, and report on their own: Killer Asteroid Project

Others, will not use whatever tools you provide: Is this Planet X? (no, it's mars). Their refusal to use them, or their inability to use them is their own problem.

Sad, isn't it?

jw

[edit on 8-4-2010 by jdub297]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

I can't argue with that. I actualy feel the same way and I think you are right.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Instead of being told you were gonna die, how would you feel about being told you had six months to get out of town or you're gonna die?

[edit on 4/7/2010 by Phage]

Much better, Probably get left till the last minute and miss the bus

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by GW8UK

Many of the small ones, we COULD manipulate if needed. What if one was copper/silver/gold-rich? Or Helium3? There'd be a "space race" to claim and mine it!

The invisible ones that might harm us can be monitored by other-than-optical means, so missions like WISE pay many more dividends than we assume.

Too bad it only has a short life.

jw

[edit on 8-4-2010 by jdub297]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I don't think it would be a really bad way to die.
Should be over in a blast.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
The WISE project is something I will add to the government sites I haunt looking for answers to my direct observation of the sky. With a background in art and journalism, the charts and graphs are, at first look, daunting but I am willing to jump-start my brain. The trajectories and possible, probable, improbable impact co-ordinates don't seem to be readily available. Have e-mailed in the past to try to find out where, for instance, a CME is supposed to make contact but have never received a reply. I prefer to know even if evacuation is impossible and prayer the only option.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by luxordelphi

The "Killer Asteroid Project" gets funds from NASA but is not a NASA operation.

They have an excellent site that takes observations from many sources and excellent and accessible information files and graphics.

jw

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

The site is excellent and I am glad to see that real people are being credited where deserved. Some years ago a string of "discoveries" were alleged to have been made by a handful of recurring names at Mt. Palomar. This is an observatory not used anymore because of the ongoing proximity to urban/suburban sprawl (lights.) It is these illogical government/psuedo scientific community claims that raise suspicion and give rise to rumors. People like me need real information, not Hollywood and definitely not lies and half-truths in an effort to allay panic.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Another possiblity is that there are other intersteller craft used to observe or traverse space from other civilizations. We have to encounter it eventualy.....

Could you imagine how afraid a planet full of people would be if you used there planet for a slingshot manuver. It would be like living right next to a highway.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join