It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to steal Mobutu style - is it wrong for statesmen? (Pls see or add pics.)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

"If you want to steal, steal a little in a nice way. But if you steal too much to become rich overnight, you'll be caught."

Mobuto was very well inclined and connected to the Bush dynasty in the US. Isn't that a similar logic to them? Was Mobutu a creation of CIA and US interventionism, or is there something peculiarly "African" about what he stood for? (Especially if one considers similar African dictators like Banda, Bokassa, Amin or Mugabe.)

Well it was quite nice of him to tell his minions "how to steal". I suppose many in both African groups like the ANC, or Western governments tend to steal too much? Can we not appeal to their conscience to steal just a little less from our collective future and heritage?

I'm not even sure whether it's fair to compare Western state riches to African dictators, so maybe others could enlighten me?

source:
en.wikiquote.org...

[edit on 7-4-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Jean Bedel Bokassa on his golden throne. The "cannibal" king of the Central African Empire, while his people were starved and abused.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Pics from one Mugabe home:
www.zimdaily.com...

Mugabe got standing ovations in black US areas like Harlem before the targeted sanctions limited his travel. I agree:
APPLAUSE, how tasteful while your people are starving and dying of cholera.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Shake a hand shake hand - and with enough global misery we can all get along. Nixon, Reagan and buddies...
www.dailykos.com...

With all this, who needs photoshop to find a conspiracy? Well a lot that should be in school textbooks - FAT CHANCE!

At least some can steal from humanity with a degree of thrift.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Mugabe is a terribly bad guy, but that is a hoax
www.snopes.com...

[edit on 7-4-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

Thanks for the correction
I was wondering where all of Mugabe's "good taste" was coming from, since there's definately a gay decorator involved here.
I'd sill love to know who actually owns it however.
It also figures that he wouldn't allow the press into his inner sanctums.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Oh, I suspect his homes were just as nice, if not nicer. Easy to live in luxury when you don't care about your people.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Why do third-world dictators all seem to have such wretched taste? It seems like its always that same "Frenchified"-roccocco look, with lots of curliques and scrolling and cherubs and so on...why not some tasteful dark-wood minimalism or something a little more austere?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I just searched Saddam's palaces, and it's all there, as you describe (lol) plus Babylonian splendor with domes and wide spaced rooms.
I think it's because they had deprived childhoods maybe?
But one piece haunts me, can anyone help me to psycho-analyze this Saddam piece?
blog.jamesstuartduncan.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I'd say stealing happens everywhere, and crime is often excused under diplomatic law.
However, the West lost its belief in the "Divine right of kings" over a century ago (completely?), and these people have post-colonial cultures where the enrichment of the few at the expense of the masses is still ingrained.

new topics

top topics

join