It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US 'Party' Sub Crash to cost Taxpayers $89 Million

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
It is almost unbelievable the kind of behavior that led to an 89 (+2.3) million bill to US taxpayers.

Early last year the USS Hartford crashed into another vessel.

One of the sailors inserted a
false sonar contact into the system so "he could use up
all of his sonar trackers for
amusement."

www.theday.com...

The sonar supervisor left his station frequently and the
navigator was taking an exam while
listening to his iPod in the wardroom. The officer in command
did not look out of the periscope.

. . . crew members falling asleep on the job, spending too much time away from their stations and chatting informally while working.

Stereo speakers were added to the radio room to listen to music during work.

This is the great, honorable US military in action?

More like drunken, reckless clowns.

Now when you go to pay your tax bill on or before April 15th,

Just remember 91.3 million dollars of them will be going to cover this stupidity,

but not to worry, all of the defense contractor journals all report it as excellent news,

Another big fat, bloated, treasury looting defense contract courtesy of the treasonous Pentagon.

It isn't just to pay for the hookers, strippers & double billing by blackwater,
or homosexual orgies at the Kabul embassy,

it is also to pay for completely reckless collisions such as this.

Aren't you proud to be an American?
Having your children robbed to pay for drunken, betraying cowboys like these.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by slank]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
If anything like this would have happened on my job, where something got destroyed on my watch when it was my job to make sure nothing happened then I would be the one on the hook for the money AND I'd probably lose my job. But it's okay, a government agency did it, let's just throw the people's money at it!

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Well they are the bottom 10%. Didn't you know that?

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank

Nice rhetoric. The people that serve on them are anything but drunken, "betraying" cowboys. The CO and COB deserved to be fired, but you can't impugn the entire crew, US military, or question the value of the submarine force's contribution to national security, based on this accident. Those people work harder and sacrifice beyond what you can imagine.

Realize submarines are among the most important assets in the entire US arsenal. You should realize defense is one of the primary functions of govt, and submarines are worth every bit of your taxpayer dollars. Look at WW 1 and WW 2. If an unrestricted large scale war breaks out again, for example a dispute with China, submarine warfare will be a decisive factor. They make several other peacetime contributions.

Operating a submarine near the surface at night, in an area like the Straight of Hormuz, is among the more dangerous non-combat evolutions.

I agree with the finding this accident was completely avoidable, but the article's author had an agenda to make this look as bad as possible. The headline alone gave that away. If you're ever stepped foot on one, you'd know it's anything but a party. Most people wouldn't last a month on a fast attack submarine crew.

Originally posted by Longtimegone

I hope this is a joke.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

And that obviously puts you in the bottom .5%.....When idiots speak, it speaks volumes.

As for the sub....I would rather my taxes go to guys stuck a mile under the ocean blue trying to stay sane without sunlight for 3 months then to welfare and other BS!!!!

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank
Aren't you proud to be an American?

YES I am proud...thanks!

"betraying".....not really sure where they betrayed anyone...oh wait, nevermind....I noticed how you type and speak about things so I just realized you'll add stuff for your own pathetic delight...my bad!!!

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
This is a complete disrespecting of the US taxpayers by a bunch of military uniform psycho zealots.

Civilian COMMAND of the military is specified in the US Constitution.

Accountability to taxpayers.

April 15th is coming, do you want these psychos out there squandering yet more trillions creating terrorists on psycho murder sprees?
Or drunken reckless behavior like this?

I don't.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by slank

Civilian COMMAND of the military is specified in the US Constitution.

Where does it say that? Can you point this out specifically for me?

www.archives.gov...

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj1975

And that obviously puts you in the bottom .5%.....When idiots speak, it speaks volumes.

As for the sub....I would rather my taxes go to guys stuck a mile under the ocean blue trying to stay sane without sunlight for 3 months then to welfare and other BS!!!!

You would rather pay for war machines than for services that help your fellow man? I think you are in the bottom 10e-20 percent. Also, I think it is obvious that your average miltary recruit is not all that intelligent.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

You would rather pay for war machines than for services that help your fellow man? I think you are in the bottom 10e-20 percent. Also, I think it is obvious that your average miltary recruit is not all that intelligent.

Actually, considering the trickle down effect of the economics of building and operating a nuclear submarine, one can easily say the the vast majority of the millions of dollars involved actually does go towards helping your fellow man, in the form of income. Despite being a relatively small percentage of our GDP, the money spent in our military-industrial sector is an important source of jobs and benefits in all 50 states.

And if spelling and grammar are any judge of intelligence, I would suggest that you are in no position to be criticizing our military members, whatever their intelligence may be.

[edit on 9-4-2010 by Pyros]

top topics

join