It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The mud creature that lives without oxygen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

The mud creature that lives without oxygen

www.newscientist.com

This tiny creature may not look spectacular, but it is one of the most remarkable ever discovered: the first that can survive and reproduce entirely without oxygen.

As well as proving that animals that don't have to breathe oxygen have already evolved on Earth, it bolsters claims that complex animals can evolve on other planets even if there's no oxygen. Some have speculated, for example, that sulphur-rich areas of Mars might support life.

On Earth, bacteria, viruses and ancient archaea that survive without oxygen are well-known, but they are simple, single-celled organisms. What marks
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
This is very interesting. I have never seen a creature who was able to live without oxygen before. It seems that scientists were already aware, but I guess it didn't make the evening news that I was watching. This brings up new questions such as; What sort of creatures could be living on other planets without Oxygen? How many more are there on this planet alone? How big and complex can they become? It certainly gets the imagination going. Discoveries like this make the world such an interesting place.

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-4-2010 by 2manyquestions]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
wow...the things i will see in my lifetime!!!

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
im wondering if there could be creatures living in the vacuum of space, living of the suns energy like plants and plankton...

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Well those things that are picked up in space almost like space bugs, plasma, they almost seem like ocean life, I've seen in various videos, this makes sense of them. Remarkable universe, teaming with life. You can't always see it though, we only see 3D from earth time perspective, whereas time is motion, orbit, and perception only, and we only see into the past. The dimensions are time dimensions, even mars is out of step with our version of 3D. We can't see things accurately from our 3D perspective, and really have no idea what is there out step with our view, let alone creatures great and small that can exist with or without O2, and possibly in conditions, as well.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
i beleive that for some time the earth was mainly co2 and oxygen was actually a poison to the single celled virus' and bacteria that thrived on ancient earth before the plants came and made some oxygen that they mostly wiped out...

is it possible before this planet had oxygen that there was life just like us, or like the dinosaurs, before plants wiped them out with oxygen

perhaps one day oxygen will deplete again and we'll be extinct and our co2 breathing remnants will never know WE existed..

woah i just blew my mind

top topics

join