It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pic/Videos: 2010 Baja Earthquake Lifts Layer of Dust Off a Mountain Range

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Absolutely incredible. It never ceases to amaze me how awesome and powerful nature is.

Pardon the expression but Mother Nature is a total badass. Shaking the dust from her shoulders

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alaskan Man
however i have one question, are we sure this is from the quake and not from a strong wind gust?

Same thing happened in the 1994 Northridge earthquake too, only not that dramatic from what I can remember. Every time there was an aftershock you could see the dust rise from the mountains. I'm sure I have a few pics.

Right after it hit (within two weeks), cases of Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis) rose to 10 times the norm, and 3 people died from infection.

Valley Fever outbreak

I wonder if, or how many, people might be affected by spores kicked up from this one.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
holy crap,

great find. great videos. flag for you

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
That has to be the most "HOLYSHIZNITTLEBAMSHIZNIT!!!" Occurance that I've seen ever!

Line dukes

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   

For future reference - If you ever witness anything strange or unusual while driving in a car and happen to video tape it, do not, and I repeat, DO NOT hold the camera out the window, the sound is devastating to the ears when you load the video with the volume turned up!

Okay, now that I got that out of the way... Awesome picture, and good footage! S&F thanks for bringing this to our attention. I would love to know exactly how this works, as in, was it an accumulation of high winds + the quake, or did the quake literally make the mountain range move so much up/down it rose everything that was on top - basically creating a tossing effect?

SMR

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I posted the last video in the actual quake thread. Not trying to cry boo hoo but will say the one I posted is better quality and IMO, is the better of the 3 videos.
ATS THREAD LINK

It seems though that it can not be embedded on ATS ...

[edit on 4/8/2010 by SMR]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Holy!

They drove right over that bridge at the end of the first video!

During an earthquake event!

That is just Insane!

Talk about bad news decision!!

People don't drive over bridges during earthquakes!!

[edit on 8-4-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Im from Mexico City , but I have a cousin in USC and she told me that in the moment of earthquake she and her friends fell and heard something like a thunder...is this connected??

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Slightly off-topic, but 4 days since Sunday and still non-stop activity in the 2-3 range in Baja / California area.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Also, Kyrgyzstan is now showing activity towards the 5's, coinciding with the protests yesterday and today.

I have been watching the seismic activity on a daily basis for 2 weeks now, and this is the first time I have seen Kyrgyzstan appear on it.

Just plain weird.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by Skellon]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
That's definitely some intense footage. The reasoning behind it, however, is nothing new. Several articles stated that people near the epicenter immediately felt what can be explained as "up & down" motions, then after a few seconds a "rolling" motion. This is incredibly typical as far as epicenter reports are concerned. Without getting too deep into physics, I think it'd be safe to assume that a mountain range moving up & down rapidly would result in footage that looks exactly like we're seeing in these videos.

Incredible? Yes. Unexpected? No. Awesome topic & footage, OP. S&F.

Cheers,
Strype

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Epic. Also gorgeous. Will the wonders of Mother Earth ever cease to amaze us? Great find S+F

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
That is a site to behold. Like a dog shaking off dust. That is insane.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Truly amazing post!

I hope the Mod(s) give you alot of extra stars and applause for this.

Wow, just fasinating.

Thank you for sharing.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alaskan Man
that is very cool, thank you for posting.

however i have one question, are we sure this is from the quake and not from a strong wind gust?

i know i could be wrong, but i dont understand how these mountains shaking would throw dirt that high up in the air, maybe its a combination of both quake and high wind?

I Lived through the 94 earthquake in So Cal, within a mile of the epicenter, and I can tell you with all certainty that I was catapulted out of my bed by the initial shock wave that came up from directly below and left standing next to my door to my room.

For the earth to throw some lightweight dust in the air does not, in anyway seem, unlikely to me.

I've seen entire apartment buildings thrown two feet of their respective foundations.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
affect, alarm, astonish, astound, bewilder, blow away, blow one's mind, bowl over, daze, dumbfound, electrify, flabbergast*, impress, move, perplex, put one away, shock, stagger, startle, strike, stun, stupefy, touch
awesome, fascinating, incredible, marvelous, prodigious, shocking, stunning, surprising, unbelievable, wonderful, PR, acclaim, admiration, applause, appreciation, approbation, commendation, esteem, favor, liking, pat on the back, pat on the head, praise, puff, pumping up, regard, respect, strokes, stroking, wow, allure, appeal to, bait, beckon, beguile, bewitch, bring, captivate, charm, come on, court, drag, draw, enchant, endear, engage, enthrall, entice, entrance, exert influence, fascinate, freak out, give the come-on, go over big, grab, hook, induce, interest, intrigue, inveigle, invite, kill, knock dead, knock out, lure, magnetize, make a hit with, mousetrap, pull, rope in, score, seduce, send*, slay, solicit, spellbind, steer, suck in, sweep off one's feet, tempt, turn on, vamp, wile

There now no one can say I wasnt (insert one of those words)

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by twohawks

I understand where your coming from, i too have been tossed about by quakes, but like you say, its only 2 feet.

some of that dust looks quite higher then the top of the mountains (in one of the videos particularly).

That's why i was wondering if it was a combination of the two forces.

either way, its amazing, i hope to one day witness something like this first hand, but I'm doubtful I'll ever be so lucky.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Is it odd to say that such a thing is beautiful? Because that really is beautiful, although my mind then drifts to who got hurt during the earthquake and that isn't to nice.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Is it odd to say that such a thing is beautiful?

Not in my opinion, Mother Nature indeed has her essence of beauty, and I never cease to be amazed. However, on the opposite end she has her essence of destructive power that I feel will never be tamed. Lives are lost, and that truly is unfortunate and sad in many respects, but I feel there has to be a balance.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Don't have time to read back, but there is a geothermal plant there. I read somewhere that it may have been steam rising from the mountains. If it was dust, why didn't dust rise from the valley floor as well?

just curious

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
Don't have time to read back, but there is a geothermal plant there. I read somewhere that it may have been steam rising from the mountains. If it was dust, why didn't dust rise from the valley floor as well?

just curious

I would suggest maybe that the dust on the mountains is thicker where it gets stuck in crack and crevices, also the wind should be stronger up a mountain like that so any dust that gets shaken loose will get caught by the wind, whereas on the flat valley floor it may barely rise from the floor.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join