It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want this guy's job

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Nice work, if you can get it.

A work force training manager for the New York Department of Labor is collecting his $115,000 a year salary for working only 5 minutes a day.

The sad thing is, this guy WANTS to work but says he is being retaliated against for a U.S. District Court suit filed in 2005 against the Labor Department in which Cunningham claimed he was subjected to discrimination because of his race.

State worker: I get paid $2,200 for 5 minutes work

COLONIE -- For five minutes of work each week, state executive Michael Cunningham earns $2,200 -- unless his employer, the Department of Labor, imposes penalties for things such as reporting to work too early or places him involuntarily on sick leave.

Cunningham performs his duties, what few there are, from his suburban home with an eye on the clock, because he's docked a day's pay if he doesn't call the office at precise times twice daily. That's the way it's been for most of the past 19 months, since his boss designated his residence as his office.

The home alone situation follows a period in which Cunningham was investigated and found guilty of misconduct -- for taking off early three times -- with investigators taking extraordinary measures such as getting his E-ZPass records and securing a tracking device on his 2006 BMW.

"He's on house arrest," said Joseph Sano, executive director of the Organization of Management and Confidential Employees, which represents state managers and support personnel who are not in unions.

Cunningham's boss at the Department of Labor expects the $115,000-a-year work force training manager to manage no one. He must get permission to leave his house during normal work hours. That's in case someone might try to contact him from the office, which, until a reporter began inquiring recently, has been rare.

"I have no work," Cunningham said. "When you check and double-check the facts, you're going to be outraged. A whole lot of people are going to be outraged."

In May 2009, his supervisor made Cunningham's house Cunningham's official work station, DOL letters show. He's been directed only to make two calls a day to a secretary. Each takes about 20 to 30 seconds.

A reporter observed his workload last week: Cunningham dialed seven digits from his cordless phone from his kitchen. "Hi, is this Linda?" he asked during a call on Monday morning. "I'm checking in. OK, Linda. Have a good weekend? OK. I'll check in with you this afternoon."

After hanging up, he said: "With that, I'm officially on duty," a nervous smile appearing.

What will $115,000 buy?

A year's worth of groceries for 15 families of four

A modest bungalow and used car in Schenectady

Half a ticket to outer space on Virgin Galactic (you could cut costs by going one way)

What can taxpayers get for $115,000?

Keep two visitor centers open most of the coming year in the Adirondack Park Agency's Newcomb and Paul Smiths sites.

Reopen the Empire State Plaza skating rink for two winters.

Keep the Schoharie Crossing Historic Site in Montgomery County open.

Read more: www.timesunion.com...

What a waste of tax dollars, just so some HR jerk can stick it to this guy for filing a lawsuit.

[edit on 4/7/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
This kind of bureaucratic retaliation is disgusting I must agree.
Lot's of follks get pigenholed at work for similar stuff but still have to go into work and "put in their time". The novelty lasts about a month.

Cheers!

gj

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
my friend went to the state building when he moved to California. He wanted to work for the state. He told them he was looking for work and they gave him some papers to fill out and told him to stand in a line. When he got to the window they gave him a bunch of cash. He asked where he would be working and they told him he could not work and get this cash at the same time. They told him to come back for more money next month. He thought California was great but came back home because he was tired of just sitting around and drinking beer with the free money.
I thought this story was relevant.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
my friend went to the state building when he moved to California. He wanted to work for the state. He told them he was looking for work and they gave him some papers to fill out and told him to stand in a line. When he got to the window they gave him a bunch of cash. He asked where he would be working and they told him he could not work and get this cash at the same time. They told him to come back for more money next month. He thought California was great but came back home because he was tired of just sitting around and drinking beer with the free money.
I thought this story was relevant.

That's disgusting.

It's like they don't want people to work in that state. No wonder they're broke.

I know how your friend feels, I've been on unemployment for a few months now. At first it felt like a little vacation but, now I'm going a little stir crazy.

I hope the guy in the article can fight this and get back to real work soon. To think of all the resources they used to set him up and how they're abusing his worker's rights like that.

You would think that peopel at the labor department would know better. Isn't it their job to fight against this type of workplace discrimination?

I hope someone does an investigation into the jerks who are persecuting this guy and how they're wasting taxpayer funds keeping this guy out of work and all the money wasted in the investigation to set him up.

[edit on 4/7/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Good pay for certain, but money isn't everything. I want Dennis Gage's Job! Dude! To ride about the country, talk and ride in Classic American cars....I would give a small appendage for this job.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Disgusting behavior sanctioned by government.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   

He (Kenneth Varley, the lawyer) alleges Cunningham is being retaliated against for a U.S. District Court suit filed in 2005 against the Labor Department in which Cunningham claimed he was subjected to discrimination because of his race.

This story is all sorts of weird...he can't be fired because that would be illegal...He can't quit because he'd likely lose his pension and any benefits he might have had...He's not part of a union even though he works for the department of labor...

It's like the best worst job ever.

As far as earthdude's comment...how does that even work? That makes no sense whatsoever.

top topics

join