It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freaky Physics Proves Parallel Universes Exist

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Wow, I'm surprised that over 5 pages of posts no one has found the article that completely debunks this FAUX news report

Complete Debunking of this horrible faux news reporter

Every word in the title is wrong but "physics". It's not freaky, doesn't prove anything we didn't already know, and has nothing to do with parallel universes nor does it shed any light the question of their possible existence.

Look past the details of a wonky discovery by a group of California scientists -- that a quantum state is now observable with the human eye -- and consider its implications: Time travel may be feasible. Doc Brown would be proud.

Quantum states are visible to the naked eye all the time. Neon signs, laser pointers, and all kinds of other devices show quantum behavior at the macroscopic level. What this UC Santa Barbara group has done is impressive and important - they've put a tiny but macroscopic object into a superposition of macroscopic quantum states. This is a big deal, but the difference between this and everyday single-atom quantum mechanics is just one of scale. It's not new physics. And time travel? It's a category error on the scale of a reporter watching the Ottawa Senators play hockey and writing an article claiming they were the new lawmaking body of Canada.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by willis7737

Brilliant!!!!!! love it

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Awesome. Starred and flagged!

This is why I joined ATS (besides the conspiracy and UFO's of course)! A great article which makes you open your mind.

Two thumbs up from me.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by willis7737

Why can't I be the me that just won the lotto and is drinking top notch bourbon and lazing on my yacht.

It doesn't work... Im still sober and sitting in this chair far from the sea... 8[

is there a trick to it??

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
mmmm.... wow no comment from phage yet?

glad to know the time lords had it right all along

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
So when you buy a lottery ticket, and they have the drawing, as long as you don't know what the winning numbers are, you have both won and not won the jackpot at the same time? If you look at it now and you see you have lost, crystalizing the result, would it have been different if you had waited five minutes? I need to know. I have played both the powerball and megamillions, and also the state lottery this week. I play both drawings of all three every week, so I need to know how to crystalize the the results so that I win at least one of the six possibilities. If there is no possibility to do anything to ensure that I win, then the "fact" that I have both won and lost makes no sense. If whatever I do or when I do it makes no difference, if I cannot crystalize a win, then what good is it to say that I have both won and lost? I picked my numbers last week. The winning numbers have been chosen. Nothing I can do about that now. Only the possibility exists that I have won. One possibility in 59 million.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
This would explain the thread in the other forum about Australia being different on the map today than when we were as kids.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Nick_X
Thanks, everybody should read what you submitted. This never made sense to me.How can something vibrate yet stay still at the same time? Its a illusion. For people to link this experiment with postive thinking regarding some kind of timeline control is quite a stretch.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
someday people will understand what man before them has calculated and proved ,

things exist and at the same time they dont,
our preseption of thing is limited to what we can comprehend

it might even be easier to explain/prove a fifth or seventh dimetional object to a person then to explain a fourth.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I am both fascinated and baffled by the multi-verse/ many worlds theory. I could read about it forever and still not really grasp it. A good book on it all was called Is there life after death? A scientific approach By Anthony Peake. He discusses the genuine possibilities of the Many Worlds theory and talks really about how it could affect our life. Also talks about how the brain stores memory and there is real scientific evidence that the brain does not dis-guard memory, but only allows us to access things we need instead of over loading us with constant memories of smells, emotions, images all the time. But yeah great post.

Edit for spelling, but also to add although went a bit off track, this kind of science still seems theoretical to me.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by eyesdown]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
So, with this theory bruce lee did not die in 1973 in some other parallell universe, and is alive and well?

Also, if this theory is true, then that kinda rules out the soul theory, unless the billions of me has a unique soul.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Sorry guys, it doesn't specifically have anything to do with parallel universes, or multiple you's. It talks about superposition - and the many-worlds hypothesis is just one interpretation of it, but the fact of superposition has been known for a long long time. The REAL article, here, is interesting in its own right, but it is about tweaking quantum superposition to influence slightly-larger-than-quantum events, like the size of a thin wire.

There might be parallel universes but it's just an idea. Not even a true scientific hypothesis. The reason Fox News is talking about parallel dimensions is because, ever since the famous double-slit experiments conducted in the 1800s, one of the interpretations is that the photons, in a wave-form, must be interacting with itself in parallel universes in order to create the interference pattern observed.

If you have no idea what I just talked about, quantumphysics.suite101.com... is a quick overview of the experiment, and how the many-worlds theory is its progeny.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by Son of Will]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by highlyoriginal
The multiverse is real, science will always be behind when it comes to reality - at least until the masses have a spiritual uplifting. I hope to see that happen in my lifetime.

Likewise.

To see the world in a state where "don't talk to strangers" no longer applies in this universe would be as great as being able to float in that great open space.

A world where one sees the colour of ones soul before the colour of ones physical form, flesh.

A world where we don't need locks to keep us safe from ourselves, us, you, me.

A world where we've accepted the faults and errors of our human history, honestly.

A world where we're not as attached to materialism.

A world where we can walk around naked and not get tasered for it

I wonder if its possible.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by la vie]

[edit on 8-4-2010 by la vie]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Nick_X

Good point.

I'm close to 30 years out of my physics classes and this smelled to high heaven.

I'm cool with parallel universes. But I'm also close to 30 years out of my sophomoric, pot fueled imaginings that its going to have anything to do with day to day existence outside of mental calisthenics like meditation.

If parallel universes are defined by each binary choice we make every instant, then there are, of course, parallel universes approaching infinity, however, we (whatever 'we' means in this scenario) can only ever experience one of them, instant by instant. This is cool to university sophomores stretched out on bean bags, sucking on doobies, (and science fiction writers, and maybe even a few mathematicians) but is useless to anyone who has pretty much grown up.

Likewise, the "everyone is me, I am everyone, and everything is just an aspect or projection of my mind" idea. It is a cool thought, but totally without meaning on any level other than mental gymnastics.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
That article didnt prove anything...its still a theory. And its from fox news, wich makes it completely skeptical.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
"I love how science varifies what i believe".....to that guy, in the article itself it says multi universes cannot be proven. and studying a human hair in a vacume has nothing to do with a multi universe. "What I believe"....should be "what i have found and physically proven" its still a theory, and a theory is not proof.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Son of Will

This guy knows what he is talking about. Multi Universe is still a theory, and always will be. And....its from fox news for god sakes.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

Sorry about my earlier post, I didn't quite get the article at the time, I was just up! I do not actually believe in the secret/law of attraction hence I was questioning the article. I thought it was implying that it was true....anyway never mind.

My current belief is that these alternate realities do not actually exist, but more that they could exist, but only if "observed", and obviously they cannot be "observed" unless the path you take leads to that "observation". In the experiment above they set out to achieve it, and observed both possibilities simultaneously but it was on a tiny scale.

So lets say I am looking at a glass of water, I could pick it up and drink it, or I could just leave it there. I decide to drink it. So is the article saying that because of superposition both possibilities exist at the same time and the glass is also still full and untouched??

Hardly.... I would think that that reality was just a possibility and ceases to exist, I mean what need would there even be for a multiverse of an infinite number of alternate realities?

I could also pick the glass up, pour it all over my keyboard and then smash it off a wall. Its a possibility, but as with all possibilities it doesn't exist yet because I haven't actually done it, and if I choose not to do it then it never will exist.

Also, to whoever it was that laughed and said they were shocked at the number of people who don't understand this. What do you expect, its quantum mechanics idiot. You are obviously vastly intelligent and probably had an extensive knowledge of it from birth, never needed to be taught about it. Surely you can grasp the concept that some people have never studied or are just new to it all.

My question is really, what need/benefit is there for a multiverse of infinite possibilities?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
It is interesting... However there is too much we don't know about the universe this to me sounds like another false assumption judged upon the knowledge passed down from generations of research which is biased!

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Essentially, if this finding holds true with further research, it would mean that we have complete control over our lives; truly 'creating our destiny' through our choices from moment to moment.

The real question is, am I the person sitting here reading this article on ATS?

Or am I the person who is out playing soccer?

Or am I the person who is taking a trip to Japan?

The article suggests that you are all of these people, as well as all of the possible people you could be so far based off of the decisions you have made, and could have made thus far in your life, as well as the decisions your other possible versions of yourself have, and could have made in their lives.

Mind-boggling isn't it?

Have a good day ATSers, and remember to be conscious in your decision making today!

rl=http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/04/05/freaky-physics-proves-parallel-universes/?test=faces]www.foxnews.com[/url]
(visit the link for the full news article)

Thoughts become things! MANIFEST!! Your destiny.

Awesome stuff!

[edit on 8-4-2010 by Loki Lyesmyth]

[edit on 8-4-2010 by Loki Lyesmyth]

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join