It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freaky Physics Proves Parallel Universes Exist

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by toast317

Originally posted by SirPsychoSexy
reply to post by willis7737

so all I have to do is think my self to a point where I have graduated from college and won the lottery

so simple!

Haha, if only it worked like that.

If you did indeed think that, then it still won't happen here, but in another universe somewhere. Somewhere out there, you HAVE won the lottery and graduated from collage. I'm sure that you in that universe is very greatful

HOWEVER, in another universe, you are also very poor, and didn't graduate high school, there is an opposite to everything. No matter how good or bad it is.

>> This idea kind of gets in the way of "choice." I think that what makes YOU, you, is sort of like an Equation. YOU might be depressed due to eating poorly or genetics, or you might be happy, because you won the lottery -- still, beyond your experiences and memories -- there is almost a "compulsion." I think that "shadow self" is what people think of as a spirit or a soul.

If there is a YOU that turns left, and a YOU that turns right -- what are YOU? Nothing. Which wouldn't be THAT surprising -- there is no EQUATION, THAT makes a You that matters -- it's just a collection of INFINITE CHOICES branching out. All the other Rich, Poor, Dead, Superhero versions of you, could be anyone, really, because the COLLECTION of their decisions / circumstances is infinite.

So the Guy who cut you off on the highway -- could ALSO BE YOU, if you consider that YOU, have infinite probabilities -- that EVERYBODY, eventually overlaps everybody else. Reality just looks like simple engine that models every potential and some paths are interesting MOST are not. Seems like a waste.

I think that YOU and I, have something fundamental beyond what we know. I'm compelled to have compassion, to try to "change people" even though it does me no good. Sad or Happy, I seem to value curiosity -- that's the FUNDAMENTAL ME. I don't think that if there were infinite MEs, that any particular version would be interesting -- I might not even think, since ANOTHER version of me might be spitting grape juice and running out a window babbling "wadda wadda!" Of course, with infinite mes in infinite worlds -- it IS TAKING PLACE RIGHT NOW!

You see the dilemma. MOST of the Universe would be wasted, boring and senseless, and REASON, would just be a path that MOST of the actors in it acted reasonable. The VAST wasteland of explored reality, would be Chickens jumping into blenders.

Reality, if anything, is elegant and interesting. That more than anything else, tells me that their is a super-consciousness and MORE to you than your memories and identity.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by fedupofitall

If we are in control of our reality, then the people who I meet belong to my own personal manifestation of reality. The state they are in is unique in my reality, and exist as I manifest them.....

This is why it confuses me. Like if you believe that you manifest your own reality, and you are reading this post, then you are not actually manifesting your reality because I wrote this, you did not influence it in any way.

By reading your post I am manifesting my reality, because I chose the path of observations that led up to it. Ridiculous as it sounds, it's literally a culmination of all my decisions up to that point, and that decision will affect all my decisions beyond it.

I've got some friends that are convinced we're all part of an infinite single consciousness that's observing itself. Every possibility that can be is being simultaneously 'observed' by that consciousness, and we, a tiny quantum observer, can chose what part of it we observe.

It'd be like having a reality 'tunnel' that you move through, picking a path from the infinite possibilities manifest by the single consciousness that you are also part of. The infinite consciousness is infinitely schizophrenic.

By observing and manipulating reality around you 'manifest' your version of reality by 'chosing' from all the possibilties.

Or does that all sound mad?

In theory, my manipulation is hitting keys on a keyboard, and by spending valuable 'observation time' on it, it'll affect everything that comes after. I could've been figuring out time travel, but instead I'm writing this to you.

An infinite number of other 'mes' are typing everything that could possibly be typed. Same goes for all of us. There must be some really really weird versions of ATS out there in the infinite multiverse.

Edited for brevity (lol) and crap spelling.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by eightfold]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Midyew
Oh my god i love it when science verifies what i believe. Such a good feeling

It is nice, but you shouldn't need science to make you feel better about your beliefs - but I know what you mean because I believe in the same stuff in the OP.

The multiverse is real, science will always be behind when it comes to reality - at least until the masses have a spiritual uplifting. I hope to see that happen in my lifetime.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

This simply means our Universe is programmed.. The IF statement is an example, if this happens then this happens. Based on different conditions, different outcomes, hence every possibility exists at one time, and those possibilities are triggered based on condition, or set of conditions..

That means everything is in full order and control..

And for people who doesn't get how a paddle can vibrate and not vibrate at the same time, this explanation might explain.. That both possibilities exists at the same time, and can trigger both possibilities if there is a condition which allows it to..

I still don't know how they observed it though lol

MIND BOGGLING INDEED.. I sound like a nerd

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
This makes me think of The Talisman and Black House by Stephen King and Peter Straub. Also, the Dark Tower series by Stephen King.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by BellaMente
This article does NOT prove parallel universes!

All this experiment does is demonstrate the quantum property of superposition - which proves this quantum mechanical property, NOT ANY INTERPRETATION of quantum mechanics...

The idea of parallel universes stems from the Many Worlds Interpretation of qunatum mechanics, but there are many other interpretations just as good, if not better (like David Bohm's interpretation).

I watched a documentary on this a while ago and it confused the hell out of me, not that it takes much.

What i couldn't and still can't grasp is if the machine that fires out individual electrons at the object with the one or two slits in it, at what point does the electron react and split to go though both slits at the same time. What makes the electron split prior its proximity to the object?
If it's all down to potentials, then the electron will also be constantly splitting on its entire journey from leaving the machine, therefore there would be interference before it has gone through one or both slits.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by fedupofitall
Interesting article, does this mean that the law of attraction is real!
If so I'm not very good at it!

I'm going to have a stab at trying to explain my understanding of something that always confuses me about this subject, and would really appreciate any help from someone with a better understanding....anyway, here goes!

If we are in control of our reality, then the people who I meet belong to my own personal manifestation of reality. The state they are in is unique in my reality, and exist as I manifest them. The same applies to all aspects of my reality, the news, the weather, the users of message boards, the message boards themselves etc etc. Its all basically my imagination.

Obviously this isn't the case as there have been many things happened that I do not have control over and wouldn't even know anything about to "manifest" in the first place. I cannot affect the lives of other people whom I have encountered.

This is why it confuses me. Like if you believe that you manifest your own reality, and you are reading this post, then you are not actually manifesting your reality because I wrote this, you did not influence it in any way.

Of course, how can I prove that? I mean if you believe you are manifesting your own reality, then no matter what I do, you will still believe that you have manifested it.

Lol, am I even making sense!!? Maybe I have just taken these things a little too literally. Help please!!

People who try to link quantum physics with "The Secret" are mistaken.

The multiverse theory (stemming from quantum physics and referenced here), merely states that all possibilities have occurred in different realities or universes. The one that you are currently aware of is interwoven with those around you. Our current state is dependent on incalculable factors in this universe that have brought you to this point in this reality, but infinite possibilities exist in other realities.

Quantum physics does not imply that you manifest your current reality.

[edit on 4/7/2010 by clay2 baraka]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

quote from story:::"When you observe something in one state, one theory is it split the universe into two parts," Cleland told FoxNews.com, trying to explain how there can be multiple universes and we can see only one of them.
END QUOTE

Back in the old days we could not understand the theory of invisible light.
much more of the spectrum of "colors" that we can not directly experience, are there.. for us to use and understand..

same thing it would seem to hold true, for the multiverse theory. mabey the "spectrum" of universe is above and below our current ability to measure..... but yet there none the less,, and All the MORE

[edit on 7/4/10 by darrman]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
so...
How can we(as humans) figure out a way to see the other sides?

Is it possible?

Where are the smart kids at?

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
So I just got off work, and decided to come back and see how this thread was doing.

Well, luckily!

I have picked up on a few things here or there as reading the posts, but I can't remember who said what so please excuse for not quoting you directly.

I heard a few bits about the source of the document ("faux news") and a few things about how it is bogus research, and the likes.

Well, I will admit, I am no quantum mechanics expert.

I enjoy reading about the topic, so I decided to do a little bit more.

I went to google, and decided to look around for the actual research article....

I did find it (
), but unfortunately I would have to pay to see it (
).

I'm in college so an abstract from the research is the best I can do.

(I'm sorry mods for the seriously too long quote here, but I figured it would be ok considering the context of the situation...)

Quantum mechanics provides a highly accurate description of a wide variety of physical systems. However, a demonstration that quantum mechanics applies equally to macroscopic mechanical systems has been a long-standing challenge, hindered by the difficulty of cooling a mechanical mode to its quantum ground state. The temperatures required are typically far below those attainable with standard cryogenic methods, so significant effort has been devoted to developing alternative cooling techniques. Once in the ground state, quantum-limited measurements must then be demonstrated. Here, using conventional cryogenic refrigeration, we show that we can cool a mechanical mode to its quantum ground state by using a microwave-frequency mechanical oscillator—a ‘quantum drum’—coupled to a quantum bit, which is used to measure the quantum state of the resonator. We further show that we can controllably create single quantum excitations (phonons) in the resonator, thus taking the first steps to complete quantum control of a mechanical system.

Source

For those of us who aren't great at deciphering science-speak, I also found the article on nature.com

Here's some quotes that might shed some more light on the subject:

Andrew Cleland at the University of California, Santa Barbara, and his team cooled a tiny metal paddle until it reached its quantum mechanical 'ground state' — the lowest-energy state permitted by quantum mechanics.

They then used the weird rules of quantum mechanics to simultaneously set the paddle moving while leaving it standing still. The experiment shows that the principles of quantum mechanics can apply to everyday objects as well as as atomic-scale particles.

Just thought I would also note that the research seems to making waves SOMEWHERE, I mean

The work is simultaneously being published online today in Nature and presented today at the American Physical Society's meeting in Portland, Oregon.

Source

Anyways, thats just a bit from the article. It goes on further to describe in more depth whats going on in the experiment.

It is most definitely worth the read.

Another article on the subject I found was at Softpedia.com, but I wasn't sure about it's credibility so I didn't use it right away.

I highly encourage everyone to do their own research and to take everything with a moderate grain of salt.

Both of these articles are interesting if you want to know more about the topic.

And if you're THAT interested, then you can always buy the research.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
yeah so this is a little too far fetched for me...so how did this paddle...(which was made of what????) happen to vibrate and stay still at the same time...was there a video or any type of evidence this event actually took place....how do we know it wasn't an acid flashback and this nutcase needs to be in a mental house...or is it something like the old corn starch and water solid liquid thing at the same time...I would like to see some more information on this matter before i start believing this talk...

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I'm also going to call complete BS on the article. You don't need a multi-universe theory to see that something in front of you can be in two states at once. Light is a wave and a particle all at once. It doesn't sound that hard to believe that something can be still and be moving at the same time.

It's part a property of quantum mechanics. An object is in two states until it's observed. It's either still- or it's not moving. It can't be both when it's observed. When the object is observed- then it shifts to one state. I mean this article doesn't prove that multiple universes exist. All it proves is that quantum mechanics is a pretty good theory and has realistic applications.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
"or they were not playing soccer over there" lol wtf

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Have you ever thought it possible if the brain worked like a radio? tuning in to certain frequencies that make our reality? but what if you started to tune to to other realities? shifting back and forth.

Seeing images of alternate events, there are so many other universes you couldn't compherend it.
I have seen images of waking up one day only to see an armada of ships in the sky, they came from far far away only to destory us. Of course that could just only be in another reality. ( i can see the future and this has been seen)

All of this connects, all the parrel universes and dimeions have you ever thought what is it all for? what if it was for the entertainment of what "God" would be. So would that mean that God is really evil? (with all the #ed up # going on)

Cause someone made all this #, weather you believe in god or not something did make it, something way beyond our comprehension, so maybe we should learn and try to understand

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I agree with this, it alines with my thoughts on mutiple bangs, and the over lapping muiltverse.
The one thing they fail to mention though is that these universes that are a lot different from this one, are further away and harder to get to.
Once they have gotten this all figured out, part of it will mostlikely fall into concervation of energy, which would only be logical.
Why make more of something, when you can use the same one over and over again.

Once you can see past the exentance of time, and with mutiple bangs, occurring all at what seems is the same instance, everything that could occurr already has.
The number of bangs that have occurred, in number have reach to the edge of infinty.

Now you just need to move to a better neihborhood.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Many here can't conceptualise how an object could be vibrating and staying still at the same time. I certainly don't know much about it and I may be way off but maybe the problem is that people try to imagine this as if they were looking at the object, in which case the state of the object is already set on one of the variables (either vibrating or not vibrating) from the observers perspective.

The way I would imagin this as being possible is if they had two measurement devices and one recorded the object as still and the other as vibrating. Just a thought.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Of course science will always be behind, it must overcome the limits that it itself has set. Lets not forget that this entire reality is our collective consciousness' interpretation of phenomenon. Gravity for instance, is merely a collective way for us to understand why Newton got smacked on the head with an apple. The bottom line is we make this stuff up as we go, and there will always be someone trying to disprove; it is the duality of reality.

Look at reciprocal systems theory explaining that things such as mass and space are tautologies. Mass: a body of matter without definite shape. Where "body" and "matter" in themselves just mean mass. Mass=Mass! They are all assumptions.

Back to the OP, this sounds like they found a way to remove as much air as possible, cool a very thin piece of metal, strike the metal in the same fashion that you would a tuning fork, and obverse what quantum mechanics call a "super positioning collapse" in slow motion. Someone mentioned the double slits experiment, and it would do everyone not understanding this to watch this excerpt from "what the bleep down the rabbit hole" www.youtube.com...

So basically the multiverse is simply our possibilities all in what is called "super position" or in other words all able to happen at the same time. So for instance I could keep typing, or get a drink of water; each second I do this the possibility does what is called a "collapse" into that option. Now applied to the thin cooled metal, it has the ability to be in all the places its vibration allows. When struck in a near vacuum being so thin and so cold, the observer simply viewed the piece of metal collapsing in slow motion, viewing it in multiple positions at one time or in other words super positioned.

I believe the bell shaped jar has a LOT to do with what is going on, just look into the bell project from nazi Germany.

Nothing new here.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr_Awesome
Many here can't conceptualise how an object could be vibrating and staying still at the same time. I certainly don't know much about it and I may be way off but maybe the problem is that people try to imagine this as if they were looking at the object, in which case the state of the object is already set on one of the variables (either vibrating or not vibrating) from the observers perspective.

The way I would imagin this as being possible is if they had two measurement devices and one recorded the object as still and the other as vibrating. Just a thought.

I agree with their theory, but wonder about their findings, for one thing the object that they are working with is kind of large.
To me it would seem something that large, would be to grounded in this universe, to show any of these strange effects.
And they found that one fellows records were incorrect, but after the fact, that was reguard those nano machines ,I believe. I 'm not sure if they repaired that one yet.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I saw this on a friends facebook page en.wikipedia.org... an interesting read about Parallel realities ect

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
I'll take it a step further!

Not only are there alternate universes, but time moves in more than one direction simultaneously and can split directions like a stream of water, to take on any and all historic possibilities.

That's a lot to chew on, but I've thought a lot about these kinds of things for years, others have made the same claim, and I have to say I can see the possibility of it very clearly and it would actually make a lot of sense in the "grand scheme" of things.

And I'll take it even further. Time doesn't actually exist!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join