It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freaky Physics Proves Parallel Universes Exist

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+55 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Freaky Physics Proves Parallel Universes Exist

www.foxnews.com

The strange discovery by quantum physicists at the University of California Santa Barbara means that an object you can see in front of you may exist simultaneously in a parallel universe -- a multi-state condition that has scientists theorizing that traveling through time may be much more than just the plaything of science fiction writers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This is probably the most interesting article I've read in a while.

In it, the researchers conducted an experiment that included taking

a tiny bit of metal -- a "paddle" about the width of a human hair,

and

...[cooling] that paddle in a refrigerator, [dimming] the lights and...[sucking] out all the air to eliminate vibrations.

(It should be noted that the 'paddle' was in a jar with the air sucked out, NOT the refrigerator.)

Following this, the researchers struck the paddle like a tuning fork, and they observed

that it moved and stood still at the same time.

The author uses a great analogy to describe further what sort of information this finding infers about our universe.

The multi-verse theory says the entire universe "freezes" during observation, and we see only one reality. You see a soccer ball flying through the air, but maybe in a second universe the ball has dropped already. Or you were looking the other way. Or they don't even play soccer over there.

Essentially, if this finding holds true with further research, it would mean that we have complete control over our lives; truly 'creating our destiny' through our choices from moment to moment.

The real question is, am I the person sitting here reading this article on ATS?

Or am I the person who is out playing soccer?

Or am I the person who is taking a trip to Japan?

The article suggests that you are all of these people, as well as all of the possible people you could be so far based off of the decisions you have made, and could have made thus far in your life, as well as the decisions your other possible versions of yourself have, and could have made in their lives.

Mind-boggling isn't it?

Have a good day ATSers, and remember to be conscious in your decision making today!

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by willis7737

Hi!

Welcome to the multi-universe, many-worlds, the multiverse.... and thanks for posting this.

I know I have recommended it before but try reading 'The End of Time' by Julian Barbour (an independent but highly qualified quantum and relativistic thinker...)

It explains a lot about all possibilites coexisting but there being no time - you join up the configurations that nearby are very similar but elsewhere, are very different versions of you and the universe.

Peace!

[edit on 7-4-2010 by The Wave]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Oh my god i love it when science verifies what i believe. Such a good feeling

Anyways, I agree completely with this article. I go trough my day realizing that everything is happening at every time and that i could potential be, have been, or will be anything or anyone i see depending on my conscious choices.

I believe that as 2012 get closer more and more consciously aware people will start to be able to do control more and more of their immediate existence at any point. Basically as the we get close to 2012 the Law of Attraction may become more and more obvious to people and once it does the awareness will spread.

And once people realize the universal control they have it can be used to free us from this evil system being ran my the materialistic PTB. I believe that the PTB are to evil and greedy for their minds to ever awaken and when the time comes they will be surpassed and left behind.

You could say they will be the old PTB will be the new mentally challenged

:EDIT: S+F aswell

[edit on 7-4-2010 by Midyew]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by willis7737

Ever heard of quantum tectonics?
If not watch Fringe

Andrew Cleland cooled that paddle in a refrigerator, dimmed the lights and, under a special bell jar, sucked out all the air to eliminate vibrations. He then plucked it like a tuning fork and noted that it moved and stood still at the same time.

There is NO such thing as a true vaccum, you could try sucking all the air out for ten centuries still there will be air, there's just too many particles.

This is why I hate that people that aren't scientists can write about science.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
"Whatchu talkin bout Willis?

electricghetto.com...

Science isnt what it used to be, its all getting too wishy washy and delusional for my liking.

The multi-verse theory says the entire universe "freezes" during observation, and we see only one reality.

The Nutjobs would love that!

"Our concepts of cause and effect will fly out the window," says Ben Bova, the science fiction author. "People will -- for various reasons -- try to fix the past or escape into the future. But we may never notice these effects, if the universe actually diverges. Maybe somebody already has invented a time machine and our history is being constantly altered, but we don’t notice the kinks in our path through time."

Right, and Australia and NZ have moved around a bit since 1987 but nobodys fixed the maps. Colonel sanders was the president of the US in 1977 you know!

Cant wait for the announcement, Science Proves Santa exist!
Shrodinghers Sleigh Theory!

*Will be written by a 20 yo 'scientist' (got two new lab coats last week) and ofcourse, verified by a sci-fi writer!

[edit on 7-4-2010 by wayaboveitall]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I'll take it a step further!

Not only are there alternate universes, but time moves in more than one direction simultaneously and can split directions like a stream of water, to take on any and all historic possibilities.

That's a lot to chew on, but I've thought a lot about these kinds of things for years, others have made the same claim, and I have to say I can see the possibility of it very clearly and it would actually make a lot of sense in the "grand scheme" of things.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I am trying to understand one piece of this incredibly fascinating puzzle without much success so if someone with a firmer grasp of the information could help me out here I would appreciate it very much.

My problem is the article states that the miniscule paddle stayed still and vibrated at the same time but I am having some serious trouble visualising such a thing other than in the abstract. Such a statement deserves much more than abstract thinking and all day I have been trying to wrap my head around something that can be still and yet vibrate at the same time – it does not compute.

The closest I have come is to some special effects moment from the matrix where the rather wooden and extremely irritating Neo becomes a blur of different wooden and extremely irritating Neo’s all focused on avoiding a bullet.

Is this description in the article meant in the literal sense that the paddle stayed still and vibrated at the same time and thus it became two separate paddles sharing the same space or am I sinking out of my depth here?

If I take the article at its word and at its meaning then somehow this experiment using the paddle as a template or marker opened a miniscule window into another universe, a universe where the paddle was vibrating?

Star and flag - this is massive news as far as I am concerned!

[edit on 7-4-2010 by SmokeJaguar67]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

Hi!

Quite an uncertain (joke) arena, however, a suggested read is 'Quantum Enigma - Physics Encounters Consciousness' by Bruce Rosenblum and Fred Kuttner. They 'explain' some of the basics very lucidly - wll even I can understand it for a minute or so!

And anything by Lee Smollin or Brian Greene especially his 'Elegant Universe.'

Hope this helps.

Paace!

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
How did this metal thing look when it was moving/not moving at the same time?

How did the observer believe that he witnessed something moving and not moving at the same time?

As this is an entirely different "state" for an observable object-how did he know what he was witnessing?

I don't get how he was able to describe movement/non movement together.
Something is moving or it isn't,I just don't get the "both at once" thing...

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by The Wave

I will look further into this and thank you for pointing me in the right direction - this news has been driving me nuts all day. This is some of the stuff I come to ATS to learn about so to find myself unable to conceptualize it is not a nice place to be - thanks again

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

You took the words right out of my mouth. I have tried to envision this thing moving while staying still and am at a loss. The article states that it did vibrate and not vibrate at the same time but does not explain things any further. Seems a little 'imaginative' to me.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Great post! Thank you! We are learning more and more each day. The Cosmos is a very beautiful and interesting place, more interesting that we can probably imagine. Everything that we imagine, exists, somewhere. So I think that we should be careful in our imaginings and visualize what we really want...Peace,Love...creativity unbridled from all constraints. We can create a beautiful World.

Peace and Love to you all.

Namaste

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Its really difficult to wrap your head around(to me at least)just how he came to the conclusion.Was he observing with the naked eye,or through other high tech sensors?

I loved the last part though:

Cleland has proved that quantum mechanics scale to slightly larger sizes. The next challenge is to learn how to control quantum mechanics and use it for even larger objects. Do so -- and we might be able to warp to parallel universes just by manipulating a few electrons.
"Our concepts of cause and effect will fly out the window," says Ben Bova, the science fiction author. "People will -- for various reasons -- try to fix the past or escape into the future. But we may never notice these effects, if the universe actually diverges. Maybe somebody already has invented a time machine and our history is being constantly altered, but we don’t notice the kinks in our path through time."

www.foxnews.com...

Thats gotta be the most awesome few sentences ever to have graced the pages of Fox News IMO.

Timewave Zero anyone?

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Well this does go along with string theory and the concepts of membranes ( or the nickname Branes). String theory supposedly explains what the big band was--two rippling Branes coming together at the edges and creating THIS universe...
So I guess I can see what the article is saying, it's all just so difficult to wrap my head around.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeJaguar67
reply to post by The Wave

I will look further into this and thank you for pointing me in the right direction - this news has been driving me nuts all day. This is some of the stuff I come to ATS to learn about so to find myself unable to conceptualize it is not a nice place to be - thanks again

Parallel Universes - Well done doc by BBC from 2001, you would enjoy it! (Also posted on other thread)

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
This has been known for a while, anyone that can meditate can figure it out.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

One is real the other is an illusion or the human eye trying to catch up

It's like have a piece of paper with a bird drawed on it and a cage on the opposite side of the paper, put a string on it and make it rotate fast, your eye will see a bird in the cage.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I don't get how he was able to describe movement/non movement together.

I think a technicality. An object can vibrate without physically observable movement, but can be said to 'move' on an atomic level.
Its BS science Imo.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Interesting article, does this mean that the law of attraction is real!
If so I'm not very good at it!

I'm going to have a stab at trying to explain my understanding of something that always confuses me about this subject, and would really appreciate any help from someone with a better understanding....anyway, here goes!

If we are in control of our reality, then the people who I meet belong to my own personal manifestation of reality. The state they are in is unique in my reality, and exist as I manifest them. The same applies to all aspects of my reality, the news, the weather, the users of message boards, the message boards themselves etc etc. Its all basically my imagination.

Obviously this isn't the case as there have been many things happened that I do not have control over and wouldn't even know anything about to "manifest" in the first place. I cannot affect the lives of other people whom I have encountered.

This is why it confuses me. Like if you believe that you manifest your own reality, and you are reading this post, then you are not actually manifesting your reality because I wrote this, you did not influence it in any way.

Of course, how can I prove that? I mean if you believe you are manifesting your own reality, then no matter what I do, you will still believe that you have manifested it.

Lol, am I even making sense!!? Maybe I have just taken these things a little too literally. Help please!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join