It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss - the Illusion of Choice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
We Wont Get Fooled Again…
…or will we?

I want to preempt this by stating that I know NEXT TO NOTHING about the intricate workings of politics. I am writing this as someone who merely watches the circus from a far and enjoys the ridiculousness that comes with it.

Having said that…

In politics it seems that the more things change, the more they stay the same. I am twenty-one years old and I have never voted. Partly because I have never really been encouraged to vote and because I have little interest/ knowledge of politics, but mainly because I don’t see the point.

I don’t see the point because I know that whoever gets elected will be the wrong choice, whether I voted for him or not. And I use the word ‘choice’ very loosely. How much choice is there in modern politics? I can ‘choose’ between Labour or Conservative, Left or Right, Red or Blue.

I don’t like Alex Jones but I think that video highlights this illusion of choice that we seem content with.

Just one look at the latest UK election party slogans gives an insight into how clueless and uninventive these people are:

Labour - ‘A future fair for all’

Conservatives – ‘Change You Can Trust’

And what do the Liberal Democrats do to stand out?

Lib Dems – ‘Change that works for you, building a fairer Britain’

Pathetic.
Like I have alluded to already, same sh*t, different party.

It has always seemed to me to be a case of ‘out with the old, in the with old’. Politicians making ‘passionate’ speeches about the policies they ‘believe in’, when in reality all they actually believe is that they can tell us what we want to hear and get away with it…and they’re right.

The recent MP's expenses scandal here in the UK is a prime example of why generations have and will continue to grow up completely disheartened by politics. It gets worse when you take a brief look at the ‘discussions’ that go on in the Houses of Parliament. Of course nothing is ever discussed, instead it turns into a back and forth verbal jousting match where each speaker tries to make the speaker before him look as bad as possible. I used to do something similar when I was at Primary School.

The idea that anyone can become President or Prime Minister is, I believe, another complete fallacy. Especially when you look at the backgrounds of these individuals who all seem to come from similar wealthy families, go to the same expensive schools/collages/universities and share membership of the same secret societies. What chance does anyone who genuinely wants to make a positive change in the world stand considering all those odds? None would be my answer.

The way I see it is that if politics is the only way we can ever change things, then things will never change. Do you honestly believe that your vote counts? That your vote makes a difference in the long run?

I’d like your feedback because as I stated at the beginning, my knowledge of politics is very limited.

But I do honestly believe that politics has become a conspiracy, a conspiracy fuelled by the illusion of choice, the illusion of free will. And I refuse to vote just because “that's the way things have always been done around here…”

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Without the illusion of choice how far would we have made it?

Thanks for the post!

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
You are quite right. It's called Hegelian dialetics. I suggest you google "Anthony Sutton" and the "skull and Bones". There are number of interviews with him on youtube and his books can be found on the net if you dig.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I hate to pimp my own thread but I made one awhile ago along the same lines.
Protesting and the illusion of change.
I would like to add mine to yours because they are kinda similiar in how nothing changes.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Like you I refuse to vote and yes its been the same crap my whole life so why feed the stupidity.
I complain about the people who do vote and keep this crap going.
Star and flag from me.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I agree with you and I too have thought the same thing about the ridiculous "discussions" they have in the House of Commons.

This made me re-think about whether I will vote or not.

I think in the end I will.

But it reminds me of a quote.

If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
nice thread foreveryoung, i completely agree.

i feel like this picture sums up the two party system very well.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8e5074454fcc.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I've gotta agree with Signals on that one - how far indeed would we have gotten without the illusion of choice.
Maybe that's why we've thought the end was coming for the past couple of millennia.

gj

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
The slogan things piddles me off to be honest... did they all go to the same brainwashing seminar or have the labs/cons stolen the bits they liekd from the Libdems?

Weirdly my hubby is off to the Krishnan Guru-Murthy show entitled Britains next boss in a few days!

rather he will if he can find someone to go with him as I am 'busy' ...

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

I see your point Signals, but I would ask whether it was worth it?

reply to post by rizla

Thanks for that, I am aware of Anthony Sutton and Hegelian dialectics but I know very little about them. I shall have to dig a bit deeper

I'll have a scour of Youtube too.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

No different here in Australia.

At 2:00pm in the afternoon, there is a thing in our parliment called "question time", where members can ask questions of other members without prior notice, AND IT IS TELEVISED BY THE GOVERNMENT RUN TV STATION.

You talk about a circus.....you have never seen anything so bloody pathatic in your life, and these are the men and women who supposedly "run the joint".

Yep, no real debate, just put as much S**T on the next guy as possible.

Next time we go to the polls, I'm having a serious think about these morons

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
i will vote for ron paul if he runs

good post btw

3rd line

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Hey, pimp away
I'll have a look at it soon.

This all came about when some geezer tried to lecture me about how important my vote was. I told him I had never voted and had no intention of doing so and he told me I was letting my country down. Cheeky swine!

Anyways, I prescribe to the George Carlin view on voting...

“I don’t vote. Two reasons. First of all it’s meaningless; this country was bought and sold a long time ago. Secondly, I believe if you vote, you have no right to complain. People like to twist that around – they say, ‘If you don’t vote, you have no right to complain’, but where’s the logic in that? If you vote and you elect dishonest, incompetent people into office who screw everything up, you are responsible for what they have done. You caused the problem; you voted them in; you have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote, who in fact did not even leave the house on election day, am in no way responsible for what these people have done and have every right to complain about the mess you created that I had nothing to do with. "

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
I see your point Signals, but I would ask whether it was worth it?

Based on the end result...I'd say No.

Maybe taking away that choice is the next logical step. Then you wouldn't have to vote anyway.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.

Nice one, I have to agree with you. One of my favourites is:

“Politics, n: Poly "many" + tics "blood-sucking parasites"”
- Larry Hardiman

Alaskan Man - "Slaughter House", very apt

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by yzzyUK
The slogan things piddles me off to be honest... did they all go to the same brainwashing seminar or have the labs/cons stolen the bits they liekd from the Libdems?

Weirdly my hubby is off to the Krishnan Guru-Murthy show entitled Britains next boss in a few days!

rather he will if he can find someone to go with him as I am 'busy' ...

I think the Lib Dems stole a bit from each of the Conservatives and Labours, although I may be wrong. It's just terrible really isn't it? Here is a party that is always overshadowed by the other more dominant parties and yet all they do is copy and paste their slogans. As if trying to cover all bases. It's just spineless.

My slogan would be:

'I haven't got a clue what I'm doing, but at least I'm honest about it.'

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

Perhaps the best illustration of the false choice that I have ever seen

I do think there are renegades in each party who would like to make a difference, though I don't know why they just don't run as independents

top topics

join