It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can a War on Terror ever be won?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Supercool
But it will need lots and lots of Hydrogen Bombs and the use of these will be considered an atrocity of unimaginable proportions and it will come at a Terrible Price.

What is won by poisoning the planet with high levels of surface radiation,
making areas uninhabitable for decades, and destroying natural resources?

There is nothing acquired by nuking regions of land into oblivian and filling the skies with fallout.

What you have won in your solution is a shorter lifespan, mutated DNA,
lower standards of living, and reduction of arable land for all mankind.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
you poeple need to realize our planets atmosphere cannot handle a bomb with such excess pollution. much less how it already has gaps in it.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom Fighter
Here's how you end terrorism in the Middle East. Turn it into a parking lot

Even better - open a Starbucks on every street corner in the Middle East

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   
No, War on Terror cannot be won... not in a thousand years. Any person who believes there is a way to win a war against such a general concept as "terrorism" is totally out of his mind!!! It`s like if prez Jeb Bush, in like 10 years, would start a war against... WAR. That`s pure nonsense.

I mean WAKE UP people!

In fact, the only way to win against TERROR is that the United States should commit a political and financial suicide. Why? Because as some of us may have forgotten, terrorism is not only a political crime that`s perpetrated by some small fanatic groups that are conspiring against a State. Terrorism is also the produce of State policies. A governement can perpetrate acts of terror against a foreign or domestic population, for such purposes (as it is seen often) as creating fear among the masses in order to have a better control over them. Corecition IS terror, and terror is coercition. Terrorism is just another way to make politics... an extreme, bloody way to make it, but still a method that has a stong political value and purpose.

Considering that the arab countries have a political and military deficit compared to the powerful nations of the Western world -resulting mainly from the all the stuff that happened there between the last 2 World Wars- some groups within those nations, groups that are representing larger CULTURAL (not religious) interests, have to find some alternate ways to force the powerful nations to recognise their rights and their place on this planet, as diplomatic relations and financial influence are not there or not very functional. Those "alternate" ways, in the case of islamic terrorist groups, turn out to be terror. Call me a stupid liberal or something for thinking such things about islamic fanatic groups, but still it is a perspective that`s defended by Henry Kissinger himself, and he is surely not a liberal moaner and anti-american. Read his recent books on the matter.

Logically, the only way for US to win the War on Terror would be to withdraw its troops from Middle-East, and give some concrete compensation to the Iraqi people for this dealy, illegal invasion that it made last year. The reason why Al quaida attacked the US, in Osama Bin Laden`s words, is mainly because of USA`s invasive foreign policy in the Middle-East to take control of the major oil supplies that lies there. But I think many of you seem to have totally omitted to notice that point, which is very disappointing, for you see what the US is doing right now in the Middle-East is even more invasive and disrespectful than what was made for the last fifteen years, and all that did nothing but giving even more reasons to groups like Al Quaida to attack America.

The big question is not if such a crazy war can be won. It`s about how far will you go into trying to FORCE the world, by military action, to be a safer place for you and exclusively for you, you and the US. How far will you go to submit the world to your own order? How legitimate it is that a single nation (in this case, the US) would impose his order to the rest of the planet???

Here`s the flaw... USA does NOT have any right on any other nation or community in the world.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
so give em an inch and hope they dont take a mile....

really...its not so much about what we have done arround the globe..it is about our relationship with israel.....

I beleive we are better for these reasons..

we sped millions to hit the right target...so as not to kill too many innocents

they dont care whos arround when the bomb goes..1/2 the time they kill more of their own

we did pull out in 91 and followed the u.n mandate

we treat women [ for the most part ] as equals

they treat em....well....y' know.

they hide ....we are out in the open about it..

we are willing to forgive...

they dont know the meaning of the word.....

It really is us vs them.....whats it gonna take till you believe in your own kind?......

We dont kill in God's name.....we do it so that others may have a better life...

Dumb sob's....maybe they would have liked it better if heir rommel had never left their area?..

the war on terror can only be won if we are united , and have the intestinal fortitude to do what must be done to cut out the cancer that is terroism.....giving in is not an opition I welcome

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I don't think you can ever totally irradicate terrorism but you can certainly prevent it from occuring in most instances. I am afraid at the moment the US is not fighting a war on terror. We are half-assing around in Iraq and Afghanistan while security at home is woeful at best. On any day hundreds of potential terrorists can stroll across our borders from either Canada or Mexico. And meanwhile the guy who masterminded 9/11 is still roaming around free plotting yet another attack. It is a joke.

Why we just can't capture Bin Laden and his top aids and guard our national borders is beyond me. I don't even know how this debacle of a war in Iraq even got included under the umbrella of war on terror. When was the last time Iraq terrorized the USA? And if we are concerned about Saddam possibly funding terrorists then why are we in bed with the Saudis who we know for sure fund them ten times more?

For a fraction of the price we could have had guards every half mile across our borders and a much larger prescence in Afghanistan to capture the head of the group that actually carried out the 9/11 attacks. What a concept......it ain't rocket science!!!!! Bush would have been a shoe-in to win the next election too with the economy humming along and a realistic plan to prevent further attacks within our borders without mortgaging our future to the hilt. Oh well Blair and Howard will be gone this time next year and Bush aint looking too good either. I don't know who advises Bush but they really did a job on him.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Mr d...part of the problem ..is AMERICA IS too dependant on other countries,,,we dont make squat here anymore...

then there is politics/ diplomacy.....we dont have any political leaders who have half the balls to do what needs to be done.....too invested in the party line...

To really secure the borders would mean somekind of martial law...the military would have to patrol the borders.ct ect...and there aint enough manpower to do it w/ out the draft....which is too politically charged an option to put through....first guy to bring it up would be voted right out i bet...

plus..1/2 the country isnt behind the war o terror...

I wonder if fdr did in fact know the japs were gonna attack....but at that time the peaceniks still didnt want to commit..

so after pearl , it was easier to get everyone aboard....united in the cause..

my guess we will 1/2 ass the war....it will go on n on......till well... if we lose/ conceed this war.....it will change the world once again.....

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
WHY can't we all just get along!?! Nobody is ever satisfied. Money, land, greed, oil, indifferences, etc. I guess as long as we have corrupt leaders in various governments and the existence of terrorists, wars will never cease.

It's a shame, if we put as much time and money in research of clean energy sources as we do war, this world would be a better place......

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
its going to get worse and worse and worse and worse and worse then even worser

then it might get better.

i dont think terrorists hate western people, (u know like joe bloggs down the pub who dosent give a sh.t)

they hate the people in charge(u know who u are)

we need a new government design (NWO?)

if we leave the eastern world alone i really dont think they will bother us.

(that muslim guy from my local curry house is so respectfull of me he's so nice(or maybee hes just after my cash)
or maybee im just stupid, what do u think?

as it stands i carn`t see any hope for us

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
P.S
take my post with a pinch of salt

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Nah you cant win, if you blow the terrorists to pieces, soon some other guy is going to say screw the government and he will try to knock out the White House because all governments are evil. The good ones are the ones who have a very charismatic leader who is a very good talker

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join