It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can a War on Terror ever be won?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Was it worth it America?

It sure is worth it. How would you feel if your family members were killed on 9/11. Sounds like a justification for terrorism to me. People are so quick to forget what happened on 9/11 and it's sad. Doing nothing and sitting on our arses is not the best defense. The best defense is an offense.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom Fighter
Well IMO terrorism in America is spawned from terrorist groups in the Middle East, unless you are talking about domestic terrorism which I am not. Terrorism will not end in the middle east because of the extremists muslims, and the morons that follow these extremists. Much of this terror is religiously motivated, and I can't wait until the crusades between muslims and christians comes once again.

Terrorrism in america is caused by people in the middle east getting tired of the U.S. meddling in there countries. They are only called terrorrists because they dont have the same caliber of weapons that the U.S. does. They are fighting with what they have.

Your right terrorrism is religiously motivated and since a heavily christian administration and president have been in office it's really the only word I have heard.

The crusade between the Muslims and Christians has already begun and i think the Muslims are winning.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Your right terrorrism is religiously motivated and since a heavily christian administration and president have been in office it's really the only word I have heard.

Ashley I heard Al Qaeda is looking for new members. You can join, but wait basic human rights don't apply to women in that group. If you can defend terrorism then how are you a proponent for peace? You can't be.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashley
Terrorrism in america is caused by people in the middle east getting tired of the U.S. meddling in there countries. They are only called terrorrists because they dont have the same caliber of weapons that the U.S. does. They are fighting with what they have.

There is a difference between a freedom fighter and a religious crusader. Al Queda has nothing to do with freedom and everything about destroying all that is not in line with the Wahabbi views.

If that were the case, then there would have been no terrorism during the last administration. This is simply a crusade by extremists.

I have great sympathy for the Palestinian and Kurdish causes and AlQueda shares none of the hardships that these people have endured. To make them out to be one and the same does a disservice to those actually seeking equal rights

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom Fighter

Ashley I heard Al Qaeda is looking for new members. You can join, but wait basic human rights don't apply to women in that group. If you can defend terrorism then how are you a proponent for peace? You can't be.

I didn't know I was defending terrorrism just by understanding how it works.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 01:11 AM
link   
If that were the case, then there would have been no terrorism during the last administration. This is simply a crusade by extremists.

I have great sympathy for the Palestinian and Kurdish causes and AlQueda shares none of the hardships that these people have endured. To make them out to be one and the same does a disservice to those actually seeking equal rights

There was terrorism in the last administration and this IS a crusade by christian extremists.

I am only making them out to be one and the same because we are talking about terrorism, A STYLE OF FIGHTING. If a group is seeking equal rights or whatever and they use terrorism as a means, they are a terrorist.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Of course a war on terror (such a vague term - any kind of violence can cause terror - phobias cause terror, and so on) can not be one. Possibly the only way to do this is to pull a stunt such as can be seen in the movie Equilibrium. Remove the freedom for emotion and you got yourself a completely sterile world without terror, and as a consequence, lacking any reason for human existence. If one desires to eradicate terror then he must destroy the human race (or what makes the human race human). The war is a practice in futility.

-Furor

dom

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 04:32 AM
link   
It's an interesting idea that Al-Quada can be beaten because it follows a strict doctrine. But there is a flaw in the argument because I don't personally believe that all of the estimated 16000 members of Al-Quada affiliates are 100% behind the doctrine. I get the impression that a lot of the groups feed off anger at US policy. i.e. the war in Iraq was deeply unpopular and as a result Al-Quada has been strengthened (not that there was anything to do with terrorism in the reasons for attacking Iraq).

So if by attempting to "win" the war on terrorism, you actually further alienate the US within world opinion, then you are guaranteed to lose, because you're just creating more people who are willing to fight against the US. And the doctrine doesn't matter, if a group is seen as being anti-US, and a person feels strongly anti-US, then it's not particularly significant if that group is Islamic or a hick-town militia in the middle of Texas...

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by gmcnulty
No.

Terrorism is a political strategy and therefore can not be done unless one were to wipe out all who might with, god's given free will, from the face of the earth................a some what expensive, difficult and unpopular method of winning.

As expected, it's a misdirected, poorly conceived looser strategy put in action by a misdirested looser of questionable intelligence who gets direction from what he hears Jesus tells him.

Wh yis it your sentences always make no sense? Read that first sentence and translate.
Your hatred of the concept of Christianity aside, your attack belongs in the pit as it is nothing but a mindless swipe. Tighten up and explain yourself rationally.

Canthe War on Terror be won? Good question. Another question is, can we afford to not win the War on Terror? Is there a reason to think that the 3rd Jihad would disappear if we were to ignore their attacks? Have we forgotten, we were attacked, not just on 9-11-01, but numerous times before? Just because our leader said a few empty words and lobbed a few expensive missiles at a few camels and a couple of tents in the past obviously doesn't mean they were going to leave us alone, as evidenced by the gaping hole in NYC.

Chamberlain's cowardly leadership ensured that Hitler would be able to take more and kill more, but it did not preserve liberty or peace. Having his heart today will do not differently. We either fight the enemy that attacks us, beat the enemy and wipe away the memory of the enemy, or the enemy will surely do it to us as it wants to do it to Israel as well.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
War is the refuge of political and economic opportunists. It is a business of violence and destruction that feeds upon the masses and saps the energy of creation. We are in that business of destruction now, so let's hope it's a profitable endeavor in the long run.

"Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow." --Aesop

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I do not care for your acerbic and �holier then thou tone� .........It is one I find most offensive.

I have read many of your post and must say it appears you place more a focus on demeaning others than attempting to understand the ideas being discussed. What is it in the way you�re wired that leads you to the appearance of being so brutish with others?

I answer the question asked. Straight up, �NO�. You failed to include it in you selected �quote� of my response to the answer.

I would suggest just because you do not understand the concepts presented that they make �no sense�. Yes to you; but it seems not many others struggle for meaning. What do thing that means? (We are all �senseless�, yet, still all on the same line?)

Rather then drawing pictures for you Tom, and it most broad and general terms, just let me say, �Terrorism is a political strategy employed most often by those who are less powerful�. It is a form of redress used to get the attention of those in power to redress their �grievances�.

When the grievances of those less powerful are addressed �terrorism� is no longer required and give way to some other form of political expression.

Therefore it follows that to go to �war with terrorism� can never be successful because it does nothing to address the root causes of the terrorism. If anything, it exacerbates the intensity of the terrorism.

Can you, or have you any idea of the genesis of current crop of terrorist of the Middle East? And what grievances which motivate them? (And please, don�t waste your time with �They�re jealous of us. Or they hate Jesus� crap that�s good enough for the sub 100 IQ folks.)

(Have you ever read Thomas Freedman of the NYT? Or an excellent compilation of Islam The Two Faces of Islam by Stephan Schwartz? )

I will deal with just one other item in you post. That of one of the most (In my opinion) lowest for of personal attack, and attack on one�s religious belief:

�Your hatred of the concept of Christianity aside��

Just who the f do you think you are pal, to accuse me of �hating Christianity�. Who gave you the power to do/say that? You have no idea of who I am; what I believe; or the depth of my religiosity; yet you feel free to make a judgment on me? Is that the type of christian behaviors you practice?

I do not care who you are; or what status you hold in this community, I want to know: Who the hell is watching the Moderators? Who gives you your red posters"WARNINGS"?

Or have you assumed a �god-like� status? And what damned right do you have to make a comment questioning my religious belief as seen from your view of the world?

You are out of line; out of control; and owe me an apology.

Are you man enough to accept responsibility for your behaviors? And do the right thing?

God and everyone else here is wondering!

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
It can be won as soon as we have succesfully destroyed every muslum on earth....

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Or lost when the US is turned into a diseased radioactive wasteland.

There cannot be any end to a continuous war of attrition.

Terrorism is not a war, it is chaos, anarchy with either side achieving nothing but to make the other side just more determined to fight on.

The US military have been spreading death and destruction around the world for a very long time.

What goes around comes around.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Can a War on Terror ever be won?
no, at least not with the ways that north americans and britains are fighting
go back in the history, when the state of israel was created.
who lived there? palestians, living normally, without fanatism, terrorist attacks and all that stuff.
but then onu decided to created the state of israel, just because of the jews, who wanted to create a country in the holy land and live there, and why onu heard then? just because they are the owners of the greatest banks of the world, but this is another story.
ok, now think: you are living your life, everything is nice, your kids going to school... and then, suddenly you are forced to leave your house, with all your family, and your are "pushed" with another 2 or 3 million of people to a land that is less than the half of the size of your homeland. and who done this? someone who live far, far away, with a way of life totally different from your, a diferent religion... what would you do?
well, the countries near you would try to help you, right?
ok, and after trying to have your country back, your are pushed to a smaller area, that is gaza today. this will only make you more angry, right?
so we understand they hate for israel. but what the usa have with this?
who is helping israel, with weapons military training and everything else?
ok, i think i lost a little the theme of the post, but that is what i think:
the only way to "win" this war (a war never have a true winner) israel should give the palestians their territory back, and usa ask for sorry for all that it has done for the people of the midwest.
but of course this wont happen, because they are too proud to do this.
well, that is what i think.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by gmcnultyAs expected, it's a misdirected, poorly conceived looser strategy put in action by a misdirested looser of questionable intelligence who gets direction from what he hears Jesus tells him.

Well thats your opinion, but I have to ask what alternative you could present? What initiative would you take to prevent what happened on 3/11, 9/11, Bali, the Khobar Towers, and the African Embassies?

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
only if we follow the traditional rules o war...marcus of queensbury sp?

if we make it so horrible, painful, futile for them....or just kill em all

yeah we could win....but politics is gonna get in the way....what the U.S. NEEDS IS A PRES LIKE ANDREW JACKSON.IMHO

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
AND FOR THOSE WHO THINK we brought terrorism on ourselves...I say this..

its not as much the meddling we do....they hate us because Israel is our " freind"...and we give her lots o money..and we have lots o money

it is the classic havs vs the have nots....they drag us into their affairs....because theirs is a statigic area of the world.....we are dammed if we do , and dammed if we dont.....for 100,000,000,000+ ,yeahs its about oil??????

The devils doing a good job of getting everyone rilled up ...dont ya think?

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
why do u think that they are the devils and you are the good guys? just because all of that speech: of, the devil's axis, we have to finish it and bla bla bla

cant u see the truth?

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anyndur
why do u think that they are the devils and you are the good guys? just because all of that speech: of, the devil's axis, we have to finish it and bla bla bla

cant u see the truth?

Actually it was the "Axis of Evil" speech and I dont remember anyone saying we have to "finish it". But I do remember the commitment to preventing another 9/11 and stopping those who wish to kill innocent Americans. I dont frame the war on terror in a religous way but its obvious that Al Quaida terrorists identify with Islam and hide behind their religion.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Yes, we can win the War on Terror!

But it will need lots and lots of Hydrogen Bombs and the use of these will be considered an atrocity of unimaginable proportions and it will come at a Terrible Price.

War is a Grim, Terrible business and that is unrealistically sad!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join