It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Memories in music

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
When I was about 5 years old, my dad drove an awsome golden mustang. Not sure of the type and I don't have pictrures of it anymore, but believe me, this car was a one of a kind head-turner when he took it out. I was so damn proud of it (probably because I was imitating my dad)

Every week we would go on a two hour drive to Holland, where our vacation house was. We'd leave very early to be ahead of traffic. Once on the flat highways of Holland he stepped on the gas, going 180-200 km/h. On the backseat I could only see trees and lightpoles flash by, waiting for our weekly ritual: I could sit on his lap and hold the steering wheel with him and he would put on his favorite tape playing the below song.

Every time I hear that song now it reminds me about that highway, the speed, the incredible feeling it gave me... even though it was irresponsible of him to do that... I love this song, for me it represents the good times we had as a complete family (before all the messes started)

Feel free to add your own memories that go with a specific song

[edit on 7/4/2010 by GypsK]

[edit on 7/4/2010 by GypsK]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I cannot list every song and every memory. For me music has been the thing that has been there since I could first remember. There are songs that remind me of things I am fond of throughout life.

Every time I hear the song “Billy Don’t Be a Hero” for instance I am reminded of a much simpler time of being an innocent child and the fun I had around my grandfather. Later in life though I found out how bad of a person he was to nearly everyone else around him and the stress he caused on my family.

He made his decisions however and caused all of his own problems. If I had known who he truly was (if I were older at the time he was alive) I might not have had any fond memories of him. But for what it is worth I recall only a gentle and fun man to be around and the 8 track that I still have in my possession today that he would play for me every time we took a trip to town.

I was talking with a friend at work about music and memory before. It is similar to smells and how certain things trigger memories in us. I love music in all forms many songs bring about many memories.

Oh and as for your father driving like he was. Well really I think that is in the eye of the beholder. Was he driving within his limits and in good control? If so I would say things were fine. I think some drive better at faster speeds than they do slower speeds. Then again maybe he was doing it because he knew you liked it. My son often tells me to drive fast. He loves hearing the exhaust and engine come alive.

Edit to add the video. I really did not expect there would be one for it.

Raist

[edit on 4/8/10 by Raist]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
This was playing on the 8 track the first time I ever took a car over 150 mph.
Can't say much more than that as it wasn't on a racetrack.

But I'm sure glad that idiot jumped out of the way that was waving the flashlight at me.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
For my mom (miss you
)

For my dad (miss you
)

First song I ever heard on my first radio... (thanks Dad)

First concert

Best summer of my life

First Boyfriend

more later....

[edit on 8-4-2010 by AccessDenied]

top topics

join