It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is your bandwidth being throttled?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
What's throttling bandwidth? It's restricting the amount of information allowed to flow to to and from your computer, locking it up, and knocking out your internet.

Yesterday, I had to call the internet company and they came and replaced my router.

Once my router was replaced, my internet has been working fine.

But the tech was baffled. It was happening on the internet side, so someone, or something was causing the internet to shut down, and then it would come back on, on it's own.

So far, I haven't been able to watch the entire wikileak video, because my computer freezes up, even after restoring back as far as I could.

I was just reading the thread about wikileaks possibly not being what they claim, and there are a lot of people in that thread saying they are having the same problems.

This is not my field, so I thought I would open a discussion about it, and see if we can get some answers.

I'm wondering, could ATS cause bandwidth problems, because it seems to happen almost exclusively on ATS.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by 911stinks]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
well, utorrent.com provided a list of ISPs that throttled your bandwidth when your tried to use peer to peer

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by 911stinks

"Once my router was replaced, my internet has been working fine".

You answered your own question why. Most likely faulty/compromised Router.

You are on ATS now & you say "working fine". If it happens with your new router then you have a problem.

Appears to be No issue with ATS. In theory I suppose they could do what you are claiming I.E flood pinging your router etc etc but why would they?

Good luck hope its still working fine for you!

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by 911stinks

If one is on line a whole bunch, you'll get a message that there is Decreased or No connectivity...

what it is ...is that your ISP is assigning you to crud servers...

they keep the 'Tier1 equivelent' network of servers for the priority clients, we commoners are the riff-raff to be content with the crumbs from the table.

i'v been kicked off-line for up to 10hours because the tourists jammed in the hotels were all gaming at once & the Local 'mandated' Monopolies
infrastructure is inadequate

Glad you had a technician come replace your router/modem (hardware device)... when i switched mine out, the Cable people behind the counter handed me a box... it took me 4 hours to get the verification to get back on line with a newer, less defective hardware device... even though the guy in India was helpful---he needed authorization that i was changing connection devices on the account from several layers of $$ hungry cable workers/techs.

my TWC supplier has realteck & scientific atlanta devices which tend to overheat & lock you out...its not the servers in that case...
you better investigate further....

I keep a Local-Area-Connection icon in my tray, one click shows me the volume of connectivity/how long i've been on---another
click>'support' tell me address ISP, server lease, and their identity,
i click>'details' tells me all the defaults, DHCP servers, DNS servers, etc
i think its a handy app. to have in your tool tray, just for knowing just where you stand with your internet connection

control panel>system>hardware> turn on the local connection monitor

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Thanks for that. I'll check it out.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Everyone and their dog are streaming that particular video at the moment, there is only so much bandwidth available... Try watching something else less popular or maybe doing a couple of those connection speed checker websites.

Try speed test it gave me an 8.5 Mb/s down load speed and that on a 10Mb/s line (I think) so that's acceptable, I am on a wireless network and a USB wifi card...

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Hmm, checked it out. I'm getting a
1.47 Mb download
.22 mb upload.

Rated pretty low.

It's odd, because the tech said I should have a great connection, since I'm so close to the switching station, where they just put in a new card around 3 months ago.

new topics

top topics

join