It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kyrgyzstan protesters storm state media offices

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

People don't do this spontaneously. The hidden hand is at play here for sure. The Great Game being played out right now as much as it ever was and no outside influence in Kyrgyzstan? Time will tell

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

Fair enough. Interesting Putin has already had to issue the following denial:

Kyrgyzstan, a strategically important Central Asian state, houses a key US military base that supplies forces in Afghanistan. Russia also has a base there.

The US embassy in Bishkek and Russia have both expressed concern and called for restraint.

Mr Putin denied Moscow had played any role in the clashes. "Neither Russia, nor your humble servant, nor Russian officials have any links whatsoever to these events," the RIA news agency quoted him as saying.

Source: the updated OP article

*NB: the above-said article now contains even more graphic footage.*

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
indeed i did bud, S&F crazy times ahead for all of us in many countries.... this decade is gonna be rife with civil unrest... its gonna start with greece in the western world i think, those people are screwed and the common folk arent goin to take it lyin down...

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

I fear a lot of them will be 'lying down'.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

MAYBE A GOOD IDEA HERE ALSO???

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by zeuseadam

I don't think so: I'm talking about bodies on the streets.

And here's my overriding philosophy: Violent protest is not the answer (NB Not to be confused with the more recent imitation of the same title
)

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

also being discussed here:
Revolution in Kyrgyzstan
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Your welcome pause
i agree, no doubt folks will be "lying down"

[edit on 7-4-2010 by TheCoffinman]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The political forces responsible for the revolt are the Social Democratic Party of Kyrgyzstan.

en.wikipedia.org...

It is headed by Bakyt Beshimov.

from his wiki article:

Bakyt Beshimov came under the intense pressure for actively opposing Kyrgyz Governments initial decision to evict US Air Base[16]. He was the only MP to vote for keeping the US Air Base open[17]. Arguing for the importance of US Air Base to the security in Central Asia, created further divide between Beshimov and pro-Russian government of Bakiev

en.wikipedia.org...

Roza Otunbayeva, a senior member of SDPK has been declared defacto leader of the country.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Boy, that puts the situation in a whole new light. Maybe ufoorbhunter was on to something towards the bottom of p.2. I'm going to have to eat my words when I replied:

the Russian are making noises about helping to restore law & order.

As has already been mentioned, the US has a strategic interest in this territory (e.g. for shipping supplies into Afghanistan). Could the Russians & the US perhaps both see the situation as pivotal? (Lets not go there.)

Your post now forces us to contemplate the unthinkable: a civil-war-by-proxy.

[edit on 7/4/10 by pause4thought]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
This is for Coffinman who wanted some sources other than just my COBRA field operatives.

Kyrgyz opposition claims to take power, form new government
news.xinhuanet.com...

Roza Otunbayeva New President of Kyrgyzstan After Government Collapse, 100 Dead in Extreme Violence
newsolio.com...

Tried to put it on the other thread, but it was closed before I could post.

And some pics of the "protestors" hardware not supplied by COBRA.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8be54ce92248.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dea73dcaac16.jpg[/atsimg]

So much for riot control armored vehicles and tanks.

[edit on 7/4/10 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

awww bummer... well, thanks for the reply and sources, lol.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Well, well, we have massive civil unrest going on in the world, and what does the American media insist on pushing as news, Tiger Woods and his little fiasco.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Kyrgyzstan opposition sets up 'people's government'

The opposition in Kyrgyzstan says it is setting up a "people's government" after deadly clashes left dozens dead.

The opposition said Prime Minister Daniyar Usenov had agreed to resign but President Kurmanbek Bakiyev has yet to do so.

The whereabouts of President Bakiyev are not clear but reports say that he has flown out of the capital, Bishkek.

Protests at rising prices, corruption and the arrest of opposition leaders had erupted in three cities.

Gunfire is continuing into the night in Bishkek with shops set alight.

The BBC's Rayhan Demytrie in Bishkek says there is widespread looting, with hundreds of protesters moving from one store to another

Reuters also quoted the Kyrgyz border control as saying the frontier with Kazakhstan had been closed.

Agence France-Presse says the US has suspended military flights at its base in Kyrgyzstan.

The whereabouts of the president remain unknown. Opposition figures said he had flown out of Bishkek and had landed in the southern city of Osh.

The unrest had broken out in the provincial town of Talas on Tuesday and spread to Bishkek and another town, Naryn, on Wednesday. All three were put under curfew.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Thanks for the insights.

For what it's worth here's my (reluctant) prediction for what comes next: Spetsnaz

*black knight takes white pawn*

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

hmmm, where the hell would they get that kind of weaponry? the police?

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I'm glad this is happening in a way. Not the violence, but unfortunately it seems that their government resorted to violence. If more riots happen soon, I can bet that it will spread worldwide.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Here are some photos. Check out no.4: it could become a modern classic!

In pictures: Kyrgyzstan in crisis

The eyewitness accounts are also striking.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman

hmmm, where the hell would they get that kind of weaponry? the police?

If they took it from the police, where did the police get it from and why?

Actually I have no idea where they would get anti-tank weapons from.

They are RPG-26s, Russian made anti-tank weapons.

RPG-26
world.guns.ru...

jollyroger666.narod.ru...

[edit on 7/4/10 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Countries that have conscript armies take a risk: they teach every fit male where to find the toys, and how to use them.

[edit to add: Neighbouring Tajikistan is so overbrimming with weapons among the common people it makes Afghanistan look like a theme park.]

[edit on 7/4/10 by pause4thought]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought
I have a nasty feeling the authorities have so far applied the 'soft touch' compared to what they may well unleash if this goes on much longer. You can't occupy a parliament, kill a government minister & take the President hostage without expecting a visit from the special forces.

there a lot more protesters with guns
than there are special forces.
resistance to the change would be futile.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join