It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want To Know How The Public Would React If Aliens Landed? See Here

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I always hear people saying that civilization would be able to handle this scenario. " Were ready" " We can handle it".

I beg to differ. I always think back to a certain radio broadcast back in 1938 by Orson Welles.

This brings us to 2010. Take a look at this article.

April Fool prank leads to alien hunt in Jordan town
2010-04-06 11:20:00

A newspaper's April Fool article claiming a UFO landing by 10 feet tall aliens caused panic in a Jordan town and troops were sent to look for them, a media report said.
The Al Ghad newspaper published the article that spoke of a UFO landing near the desert town of Jafr, The Telegraph reported.

The front-page newspaper article stated that the aliens lit up the town, interrupted communications and sent scared residents into the streets.

Mohammed Mleihan, the mayor of Jafr, was taken in by the prank and promptly despatched security personnel to hunt for aliens.

'Students didn't go to school, their parents were frightened and I almost evacuated the town's 13,000 residents. People were scared that aliens would attack them,' Mleihan was quoted as saying.

A Jordanian security official said an emergency plan was almost enacted in Jafr.

Moussa Barhoumeh, Al Ghad's managing editor, said the report has been 'blown out of proportion.'

'We meant to entertain, not scare people.'

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

source

If they really did land in mass, civilization would decay rather quickly in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

Are you kidding me?
This is NOT 1938.
Any alien coming here with hostile intentions had damn sure better be positive he's barking up the right tree.
Regardless of the technology needed to travel the vast distances of space/time, they better be skilled and they better be ready.
Are they sure they can combat F16 fighters squadrons, bradley assault vehicles, fanatical mujahadeen warriors, seawolf class submarines, s.a.s. operatives, abrahm tanks, ak47 assault rifles, nigh-on a billion foot soldiers and more. Not to mention that ALL humans have EVER done throughout history is practice and perfect the art of war.
All this without taking into account the tens of thousands of ready-to-go nuclear and hydrogen weapons.

I, for one, would not panic in the slightest. Any alien you can imagine could not possibly take a 4000 feet-per-second piece of lead to the skull, nor could they manipulate matter with thier mind (that would be a 'god'), and NO force-field that exists in ANY movie could absorbs the forces released by nuclear weapons.
These people who panicked on April fools day are nothing short of dimwits.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by nevermindme]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
^What he said

Still I rekon if this happened to me I'd probly do the same after getting some down for youtube.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   

First of all, I hate to be a killjoy, but this is already being discussed in multiple other threads.

Second of all, the article you're talking about described the aliens as disrupting communications and sending people running into the streets. This is far scarier than just saying that contact has been made with aliens. It's almost as bad as War of the Worlds. Of course people would panic if they read that in the newspaper! I think it would be a lot better if we were just talking about plain and simple contact.

reply to post by nevermindme

Originally posted by nevermindme
Any alien you can imagine could not possibly take a 4000 feet-per-second piece of lead to the skull, nor could they manipulate matter with thier mind (that would be a 'god'), and NO force-field that exists in ANY movie could absorbs the forces released by nuclear weapons.

With all due respect to our abilities to kill our fellow humans, we're talking about a race that's potentially billions of years more advanced than we are. Could an alien take a bullet to the skull? Probably not. But I guarantee they wouldn't be stupid enough to put their face in front of a gun in the first place. We already have robotic drones doing a lot of the fighting for us... just imagine what THEY would have. You can rest assured that these aliens wouldn't be running around on foot with their heads exposed if they decided to attack us.

Most of the damage from nuclear weapons is caused by the blast wave. Nukes are a lot less impressive in space, because there's no atmosphere to create a blast wave in. And I would love to see your F-16 fighter squadrons do something about a fleet of alien ships that's firing lasers at us from Jupiter's orbit.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by Magnus47]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Timewalker.....

Sorry.....there have been 3 previous threads about this during the past 24 hours.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Kind regards
Maybe…maybe not

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by nevermindme Are you kidding me? This is NOT 1938. Any alien coming here with hostile intentions had damn sure better be positive he's barking up the right tree.

If an extraterrestrial species came here with intent to be hostile I would think it would be highly plausible to find that we would be as effective in countering these intentions as a monkey in a tree would be effective in countering a platoon of marines.

Originally posted by nevermindme Regardless of the technology needed to travel the vast distances of space/time, they better be skilled and they better be ready. Are they sure they can combat F16 fighters squadrons, bradley assault vehicles, fanatical mujahadeen warriors, seawolf class submarines, s.a.s. operatives, abrahm tanks, ak47 assault rifles, nigh-on a billion foot soldiers and more. Not to mention that ALL humans have EVER done throughout history is practice and perfect the art of war.

Somehow I have a feeling that an extraterrestrial species that is thousands or millions of year ahead of us in terms of technology would have no problems with countering our kinetic based weapons systems, our squad based tactics and the fact that our command and control systems rely on electricity. Most of that would be for nothing if an electromagnetic weapon was discharged.

We have such weapons already so I would think a visitor race vastly superior to us in terms of technology would also have related weapons that would make what we have look ridiculous and pointless. I go one further and hypothesise that a visiting race with bad intent would have weapons we cannot even imagine just as Cro-Magnon man would not be able to understand the concept of an assault rifle or smart bomb.

Yes I think the difference could be as wild as that.

Originally posted by nevermindme All this without taking into account the tens of thousands of ready-to-go nuclear and hydrogen weapons.

I have read accounts of UFO’s that have drifted near nuclear silos and disabled the missiles inside without any trouble at all. True or not I would think “their” technology would completely negate anything we have and yet it would be easy for us to assume that we could do an “independence day” on them only because we have no frame of reference regarding an extraterrestrial weapons system.

I think it would be best to assume the worst case scenario if it came to an outright confrontation with extraterrestrials that have traversed vast distances as a coherent military force because the worst case scenarios seems very realistic to me rather than aliens turning up with - dare I say - passé assault rifles and nuclear weapons systems.

A planet conquering extraterrestrial species in my opinion would not bring rocks to such a fight they would bring something we could not understand let alone resist. War of the worlds for instance was an entertaining film but even then I was thinking – primitive!

Originally posted by nevermindme I, for one, would not panic in the slightest. Any alien you can imagine could not possibly take a 4000 feet-per-second piece of lead to the skull, nor could they manipulate matter with thier mind (that would be a 'god'). These people who panicked on April fools day are nothing short of dimwits.

I wonder how easy it would be in reality to go face to face against an extraterrestrial that means harm when you are trying to vacate the extraterrestrial skull with a kinetic weapon while he/she/it is probably able to manipulate the very fabric of space-time and matter in quicktime or zap you with a particle beam weapon, so on and so on.

Obviously I cannot imagine their weapons technology as it really would be but a rifle, a tank round or smart bomb is to my imagination also not going to make a blind bit of difference. At least not anymore difference than a rock wielding caveman is going to cause much concern for a highly trained twenty first century infantryman with communications allowing him to bring in artillery strikes, airstrikes and/or to send the caveman into the next world with a simple press of a trigger.

The last thing on my mind will be carnage towards a visitor however and if extraterrestrials really did wish us harm there would be little you or I could do about it other than to make sure we have a great seat, buckets of popcorn and fizzy pop.

Happily this is my worst case scenario and I do not envisage such an event but of course my government could benefit from all our fears in such a grim context therefore I am not afraid and I will not be afraid if and when the visitors are openly among us because if they meant us harm I think we would have been harmed long before we had cracked the atom or developed the world wide web.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   

"Regardless of the technology needed to travel the vast distances of space/time, they better be skilled and they better be ready."

I'm thinking if they have technology advanced enough to traverse space/time, our coolest killing gear would look like a mid-evil crossbow, or maybe a musket.... and there is nothing stopping them from hanging out in space & wiping out every satellite.. which might look as silly as a model-t. No GPS smart anything, limited communications.. an entire infrastructure dependent on wazoo trillion dollar satellite technology: useless.

I wouldn't panic, I'd find the nearest one and tell him/her I represent the average earth dude and we need their help deprogramming from being brainwashed into violent stupidity by the bungholes in charge.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
An ET walking down the middle of main street in Winchester England and people don't bat an eyelid.

The fact is that people wont concern themselves with anything that doesn't effect them personally. It seems funny that an ET's best cover is to be in a crowd.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Grow up kid! You sound like you're 12.

None of that fancy smancy 21st technology has allowed us to overwhelming win a war in the last 20 years. Look at A-stan. We are still being beaten back by goat herders with 1970s era RPGS and AK-47s. Western arrogance and human arrogance in general is hilarious. One huge EMP blast by an alien craft would render all our fancy military equipment useless in a matter of seconds.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Are you kidding me?
This is NOT 1938.
Any alien coming here with hostile intentions had damn sure better be positive he's barking up the right tree.
Regardless of the technology needed to travel the vast distances of space/time, they better be skilled and they better be ready.
Are they sure they can combat F16 fighters squadrons, bradley assault vehicles, fanatical mujahadeen warriors, seawolf class submarines, s.a.s. operatives, abrahm tanks, ak47 assault rifles, nigh-on a billion foot soldiers and more. Not to mention that ALL humans have EVER done throughout history is practice and perfect the art of war.
All this without taking into account the tens of thousands of ready-to-go nuclear and hydrogen weapons.

I, for one, would not panic in the slightest. Any alien you can imagine could not possibly take a 4000 feet-per-second piece of lead to the skull, nor could they manipulate matter with thier mind (that would be a 'god'), and NO force-field that exists in ANY movie could absorbs the forces released by nuclear weapons.

Well measure that against craft that can move at 10-15000MPH, unknown weaponry, a good chance that if we piss them off enough they will just go biological on us.
personally i dont think they would come with bad intentions everything seems to be pointing to the fact that they will come in peace (shoot to kill shoot to kil star trekking luvved that tune) and the reason we dont have open contact is we are not ready for it.
some of us are i think but i felt afraid on my CE5 im older now and think i would deal with it better.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

hydrogen weapons.

NO force-field that exists in ANY movie could absorbs the forces released by nuclear weapons.

If you mean to say that there has been no movie that showed a nuke being ineffective against a alien force-field then you are incorrect as they fired nukes at the alien fleet in Independence Day and it registered a negative impact, that's off the top of my head but there are other movies where nukes are shown as ineffective, because it is our top dog weapon. Having it be ineffective creates tension in the movie.

Having said that, I believe that there would be panic in the streets but, people would get over it fairly quickly, aside from religious extremists who would feel the need to either convert or kill them. If they were hostile, well that is a horse of another color. There are just too many variables to consider to say one side or another would emerge victorious, but I can say I am positive that humanity would not go down without a serious and major conflict.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I cannot see ET disclosure happening anytime soon. You can forget about Aliens landing on the white house lawn. If you were a benevolent ET, would you land in the middle of an insane asylum where all the inmates are armed?
Somehow, I don't think so.
There's also the fact that it appears that our governments don't want us to know the truth, so unfortunately I cannot see it happening anytime soon.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

but those are people in Jordan; this incident cannot judge how six billion other people would react.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I think if an Alien could get up from a .50 cal shot to the face then i would gladly accept defeat.

The AK 47 would do more damage to the person shooting it
Btw dont they use AK 74's now?

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by kindred

Originally posted by kindred I cannot see ET disclosure happening anytime soon.

Sadly I am starting to come over to that way of thinking too but at the same time I take some solace in that I never really expected our government or any other government to come out with the truth anyway. To disclose the truth would probably implicate them in some nasty things I suspect are on par with some of the worst crimes the Nazis ever pulled on the Jewish peoples, the gypsies, and the mentally infirm and so on. I believe their crime is a black abyss they fell willingly into and now they cannot pull the plug because they would end up flushed away too and they probably know it.

I am talking about “them” being the American government, the British government and probably most of the European governments too just off the top of my head because like some sick tradition being handed down there are very active elements that will be well aware of what it is that must be kept hidden from the likes of you and me.

Originally posted by kindred You can forget about Aliens landing on the white house lawn. If you were a benevolent ET, would you land in the middle of an insane asylum where all the inmates are armed?
Somehow, I don't think so.

Agreed again but in agreeing I also think that if the time came to disclose that the disclosure would not come from a TV broadcast and would not come from an earthly government but would come from vast ships in the skies or landing in droves. These ships would not even need to be manned as it would be the act of their appearance above us that would be the death knell of the system of control the elite have over us.

I do not think we have a monopoly on unmanned drones!

I also doubt that we have the ability to shoot down an extraterrestrial ship and even if we did it might be somewhat difficult if the extraterrestrials arrival is devoid of carnage and burning cities – rather friendship and soothing words that talk more of a convincing welcome to the wider cosmic community.

In that atmosphere I doubt the human population would take kindly to seeing squadrons of gunships and fighter bombers massing to attack. That I surmise would be the moment the ivory towers would crumble and fall to dust.

Originally posted by kindred There's also the fact that it appears that our governments don't want us to know the truth, so unfortunately I cannot see it happening anytime soon.

I have never thought that it is up to our governments and I think if and when the time comes that the great deceit unravels then our government will be pushed to the fringes of a real disclosure and they will be forced to watch the real disclosure from the outside, looking in shuffling their feet and wait for the truth of their crimes against humanity to become public knowledge.

Factions would swiftly form in Whitehall and Downing Street, in the Whitehouse and the pentagon and the blame game would start but in the end they would all pay because a torrent of public rage fuelled by our recent history would see the elite swimming in the sea without life jackets.

I ache to see that day come because I am certain we have been literally sold out for technology and I am certain the contemporary governments of our time know this all too well but are unable or unwilling to rectify the crime of the last century and to make amends for the travesty that was perpetrated upon their own race at the birth of the cold war.

Just my own fevered opinion though

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Are you kidding me?
This is NOT 1938.

With all due respect: your mind is in a box. Proud of our weapons?

If they are an advanced malevolent species they could win with one simple virus. Not with militaristic testosterone.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by Emptiness Dancing]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Are you kidding me?
This is NOT 1938.

Lmao, how old are you and how much time do you spend online playing Call of Duty? Meh, I'm sorry for being mean.

Like others have already stated, you can't even fathom what kind of weapons an advanced race may have. Who knows, they may be able to melt everything we have within seconds. I mean, if there are EMP weapons here on earth that can render electronics usesless, imagine what an advanced race has.

Who knows, they may be so advanced in technology that they don't need weapons to defeat us. Maybe they know how to manipulate our minds so that we can't even think straight enough to use our weapons.....

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Are you kidding me?
This is NOT 1938.

Ahahaha, the arrogance and folly of humans.
If they can get here their technology will be well in advance of ours.
We are but a drop in the bucket, getting too big for our boots if we think we could 'tackle' the aliens head on.

They may well have a force field that hasn't been in ANY movie.

Gosh, what an arrogant, smug, war-mongering bunch of dimwits we are.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
it justs shows the ignorance ... but hey, if there were some kind of random alien walking around, I would be scared too hahaha

look at all the diseases you would be able to get ...

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
First let me apologize for starting a fourth thread on this subject. That's what I get for starting one at 3 a.m. without searching first.

Second, my point of this thread was to show that civilization would melt down rather quickly if they officially landed for all the world to see. Not a show of might of who would "win" a battle with them. Though I think we would be dead ducks if that were to happen. But that's just my opinion.

I got one for you, maybe they have lead magnets.........
What would you do then? Ok back to reality.

A week without no one going to work in the entire world would be devastating to markets. Deliveries would not be made. People without food get desperate very quickly. This is where our civilization would be in turmoil. Sure we would eventually pull out of it if things went smoothly, but I don't think they would be very smooth.

Someone said this is not 1938. True, but do you realize that 1/4 of earths population does not even have electricity today. Much less exposure to such feelgood movies such as Independence Day. For these people, their world would be much more shattered than ours with our "desensitization" of such matters.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join