It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consuming Post-Birth Placenta - Consumption of a Lost Soul?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
During a discussion in the ATS Chat room, the topic got started about eating the placenta after giving birth. After much discussion and debate, I've decided to create this thread in hopes of getting the feedback of other ATS'ers and to open up the discussion on the reality, ideaology, and morality of consuming the post-birth placenta.

For those that have never heard of this practice, or do not believe it to be done, I submit this YouTube Video. The video is from Joel Stein as he documents a professional placenta chef getting ready to prepare their delicacy. The chef, or Placenta Encapsulation Expert, is named Sara Pereira. As the video states ..

Some practitioners believe that consuming the placenta, after birth, prevents postpartum depression and encourages breast milk production in new mothers.

Out of courtesy, I'm going to warn the viewers that they may find the video offensive, eventhough it doesn't show anything that is too grotesque.

So how bout ATS? Let's open the discussion and delve into this tasty topic of taboo.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Detailed Perfection

Agreed, but yet more interesting is consuming placenta morally correct?

What kind of politics are involved in this taboo? I myself, think it's absolutely wrong and unacceptable.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Well I know many animals eat the placenta. Was this done many years ago? Than this might have some merit, but if the practice is fairly new, I would think that it would hold water.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I'm wondering how they were able to take posession of the placenta after the birth.

When my first daughter was born, the maternity nurses zipped all of that stuff up and labeled it Toxic Materials.

I'm wondering if you have to go to a special Dr. or go through a home birth in order to retrieve such a thing.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
This is cannibalism, correct??

Truly disturbing.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Detailed Perfection
I'm wondering how they were able to take posession of the placenta after the birth.

When my first daughter was born, the maternity nurses zipped all of that stuff up and labeled it Toxic Materials.

I'm wondering if you have to go to a special Dr. or go through a home birth in order to retrieve such a thing.

toxic materials? it makes me wonder what their hiding. allow me to take ita step further and say that it wasnt just a toxic bag, but in the spirit of the thread a doggy bag of sorts.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
From Wiki

The placenta often plays an important role in various human cultures, with many societies conducting rituals regarding its disposal. In the Western world, the placenta is most often incinerated.[13]

Some cultures bury the placenta for various reasons. The Māori of New Zealand traditionally bury the placenta from a newborn child to emphasize the relationship between humans and the earth.[14] Similarly, the Navajo bury the placenta and umbilical cord at a specially chosen site,[15] particularly if the baby dies during birth.[16] In Cambodia and Costa Rica, burial of the placenta is believed to protect and ensure the health of the baby and the mother.[17] If a mother dies in childbirth, the Aymara of Bolivia bury the placenta in a secret place so that the mother's spirit will not return to claim her baby's life.[18]

An ad in Hong Kong markets beauty products made with human placenta. The placenta is believed by some communities to have power over the lives of the baby or its parents. The Kwakiutl of British Columbia bury girls' placentas to give the girl skill in digging clams, and expose boys' placentas to ravens to encourage future prophetic visions. In Turkey, the proper disposal of the placenta and umbilical cord is believed to promote devoutness in the child later in life. In Ukraine, Transylvania, and Japan, interaction with a disposed placenta is thought to influence the parents' future fertility.

Several cultures believe the placenta to be or have been alive, often a relative of the baby. Nepalese think of the placenta as a friend of the baby's; Malaysian Orang Asli regard it as the baby's older sibling. The Ibo of Nigeria consider the placenta the deceased twin of the baby, and conduct full funeral rites for it.[17] Native Hawaiians believe that the placenta is a part of the baby, and traditionally plant it with a tree which can then grow alongside the child.[13]

In some cultures, the placenta is eaten, a practice known as placentophagy. In some eastern cultures, such as China and Hong Kong, the placenta is thought to be healthful and is used in medicine and various health products.[19]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Interesting stuff... although i was already aware of this practice!!

Just wanted to ask.... what’s with the "consumption of a lost soul?" question in the title??? I don’t get that... sorry

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
As we are children of god, we must humbly consume the placenta, because god gave it to us for nutrients. The placenta can prevent postpartum depression and other pregnancy complications, not to mention is can be a tasty and delicious snack. It should be encouraged - it can be used as a meat substitute.

Flagged and starred. All of ATS should see this.

[edit on 7/4/2010 by C0bzz]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I gave birth in a county hospital with my second born and had I requested it, I am sure it would have been given to me. Many women who have midwives or doulas would probably be able to get it as well. Honestly I don't see anything wrong morally with it, but it is basically excrement after the baby is born. As the baby matures in the womb near the due date the placenta actually begins to die that's why they don't let mothers go overdue anymore because the baby starts to be robbed of nutrients and oxygen. Personally I see it as drinking your own urine or eating your own fecal matter but that is my opinion. Also I would think it would have the opposite effect on breast milk due to the hormones that may or may not be present in the placenta but that again is my theory and not based on medical knowledge.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Well, as Deaf Alien posted in this reply. Many cultures around the world view the placenta as being alive, or a physical/spiritual part of the fetus.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Cal, I'm not sure that they would have given it to you. Being the inquizative type of person I am, I asked the nurse about how some people eat the placenta and she said that it's against most hospitals policies.

It would be no different than them giving you a lung or kidney after a transplant. The material is considered Bio Toxic Waste and has to be disposed of properly. Usually through incineration.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

That is very interesting, thank you for that bit of education. Although the Chinese eat some odd things I would never be able to stomach, it would be interesting to know the nutrient value of the placenta.

Edit to say that when I had my 2nd born it was a unique situation in a VERY small hospital, and every one on staff that night was either a friend or relative. Unless the hospital had to show proof of what happened to the placenta, I am sure it could have been done. Now in the cases of my oldest and youngest there wouldn't be even the slightest chance.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by calstorm]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
There may be some health benefits to consuming the placenta, I'm not doubting that but it's human tissue. IMHO, that's kinda wrong and borders on cannibalism.

I have also read about some cosmetics (now banned) that used human placenta.

IRM

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by tigpoppa

Originally posted by Detailed Perfection

toxic materials? it makes me wonder what their hiding. allow me to take ita step further and say that it wasnt just a toxic bag, but in the spirit of the thread a doggy bag of sorts.

Tig,
I actually thought about that after the birth of my daughter. We know that there is a black market for human body parts. I wondered if maybe the hospitals or the company in charge of Bio collection wasn't actually selling placentas on a medical black market.

Some people eat them, some people make medicine with them, like we saw in the video i posted.

Good reply.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   

An interesting thread but I do not see anything morally or ideologically wrong with consuming the placenta as wild animals do it all the time and humans do not because we are civilised and can pop down to the local chemist for all the vitamins we need? Of course I can see many other things wrong with placenta consumption but for me this is based purely on aesthetics and personal levels of disgust in much the same way I will not fry up a tarantulas freshly squeezed backside either and yes I have seen that happen and yes I did taste bile at the time but that is only because of my western conditioning and according to the Amazonian Amerindians it tastes very nice – I digress however.

I have two daughters and after both births my wife was offered the placentas.

The first time we both looked at each other in surprise mixed with horror. My wife was seriously grossed out and as I was still shell shocked from being wacked once about the head with a gas mask and utterly blamed for all the ills in the world I just followed her lead.

Because of difficult birth I was drifting from lack of sleep and thinking that I had stepped into an alternate universe when the midwife suddenly started talking about the placenta being a prime source of minerals vitamins and hormones that will jumpstart the breast feeding mechanism – would we like to take it home?

As it happens I did know a woman who was friends with my wife at the time that did happen to fry her own placenta with unions and she said it was similar in many ways to liver but was not able to eat all of it as it was chewy in places and “veiny” (sic?) too. I quickly changed the subject by running through the front door screaming for mother to make it all better while clawing at my face - ok that last bit was a joke but my toes curling enough to make cracking sounds was not.

The placenta from what I have read about placenta eating humanoids (shudder) is that it gives the mother and the newborn the very best start in terms of hormonal balance, immune system and related vitamins so I think it is a grand thing if a woman wishes to partake of such an exotic feast but I would ask politely that I am allowed to leave the room running beforehand as such a feast is not something I would wish to witness on any level as I imagine it would be much more traumatic than witnessing an army of Amerindians slurping on tarantula buttock.

Starred and flagged for the interesting topic but I could not watch the video as I must guard what is left of my sanity most fastidiously.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by SmokeJaguar67]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

You're absolutely right IRM.

Next time you're in the shampoo aisle, take a gander at some of the product labels. There are many shampoos on the market that contain placenta material to encourage hair growth.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Oh ok... I was aware that, for some, it was a religiously symbolic event... but I didn’t realise that the placenta was viewed as being alive... thanks

My personal views on it is that it is simply a cultural trait often born out of necessity... it is very easy for us to sit in our moral ivory towers and declare it cannibalism and disgusting while we gorge ourselves on an abundance of food!!

However, maybe we would think differently if we lived in a country where protein was scarce. I believe it is then, over many years, blended into the cultural and religious aspects of people’s lives in order to make it... well... literally more palatable!!

Would i eat it?? URGHHH!!

NO WAY

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
So, IF WE CAN EAT PLACENTA....

What in the hell is and was ever wrong with stem cell research?

Conspiracy here.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

Thanks for the reply and information Smoke.

It's already been mentioned before, but wouldn't this be considered cannibalism?

The consuming of human flesh. As far as I know, it's illegal in the US to consume human flesh.

Maybe we should add the legality of partaking in such a practice as well as the morality of it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join