It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012, why worry?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I remember first hearing about the mayan calender ending on Dec. 21st 2012, a few years back when me and my little brother were big into the paranormal, we spent all summer reading up on ghost's, alien's, bigfoot, and the like. So one day we discovered a supposed prediction of the end of everything, I.E. 2012.

Lemme just first note that just because a calender end's doesn't mean something bad is gonna happen, Calender's end every single day and yet here we still are. I don't believe in 2012 prophecy at all in any way whatsoever, I think it's foolish and I think that the sheer terror of it is all that it is, it's just an irrational fear that people hold, the fear of being out of control of your own destiny and what would happen.

That fact right their lead's me into my thought, why worry? I mean if some giant planet is gonna come crashing into earth and kill us all and you can't do anything to stop it, why worry? If the whole world is gonna go through a massive upheaval and everyone is gonna die and you still can't do anything about it, why worry?

My point is that some people are so outrageously terrified of this whole scenario they start to freak out, I have this one guy I work with, that's obsessed with 2012 hysteria. Because all it is, is hysteria, doomsday prophesy serves no purpose whatsoever except to freak you out and make you forget about real issues, issues like two never ending war's, a massive deficit in funds the world over, more and more stringent and strict control's being placed on thing's as simple as getting arrested for smoking in certain areas, (I had a run in with a security guard who wanted to arrest me because I was smoking outside of my work the other day).

I realize that telling people not to worry is like telling a fish not to breathe through their gills but seriously and not patronizingly at all, please explain to me: Why Worry? Is worrying gonna get you any closer to an "enlightenment"? Is it gonna stop a supposedly massive planet heading directly at us that we can't control? nope it sure won't.

I realized that to some this may seem like a pointless post, but having seen how crazy and twitchy some of my friends have been lately it's making me worry about them, something that is worth worrying about. And I decided that maybe it would provide some interesting discussion as well.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Good thread. S+F

Im sitting on the fence with the whole 21/12/2012 End of the World theory. I mean, that date is just over two years away, so I guess we will find out if it is true.

I do agree with you about the ''Why worry?'' statement. I mean seriously, everything has to come to an end sometime, we all eventually die. We have famines in third world countries, wars in the Middle East, rainforests being cut down, mass pollution, Japanese "research vessels" killing hundreds of Whales in the Arctic. Yet we worry about something that may or may not happen? We should worry about immediate problems that are affecting us now.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordan_The_Maori

Exactly, in my mind the whole of the 2012 phenomena (and it's only a phenomena in the fact that people truly think this could happen) is simply just a way for put people to excuse themselves, not in away that is a "Conspiracy of TPTB" just in a simple, self sheltering way. I think people use it as a way for them to not have to deal with real and very difficult issues like the one's you said and instead say "it doesn't matter cause the world is gonna end".

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Awolscout

Couldn't have put it better myself. Worrying about the whole end of the world theories would also produce negative emotions and most likely dramatically decrease a person's motivation to contribute to society, attend work or school because, like you said, they'll be thinking, "it doesn't matter cause the world is gonna end".

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
THE END is fear propaganda by the elites to keep you in a state of complacency and to keep you stuck in state of mind easier for them to control....Im not saying it wont end but just because we have fear of the unknown of what happens after death makes us fear death itself..We all have to die..Its the cycle of life!
I believe we are immortal in the spirit so i say 2012 bring it on...

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan_The_Maori

Couldn't have put it better myself. Worrying about the whole end of the world theories would also produce negative emotions and most likely dramatically decrease a person's motivation to contribute to society, attend work or school because, like you said, they'll be thinking, "it doesn't matter cause the world is gonna end".

That's basically exactly what I'm trying to get at, depression and apathy is the only thing that can result from fear of the unknown. I wish it was possible to simply say hey guess what I've seen the future and everything is still here a hundred year's down the road.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by BroketheWall

I appreciate the support, but I personally don't think elite's have anything to do with it. People have an always will fear the unknown, 2012 is an unknown. While I suppose that it's entirely possible that it was invented by someone or some unknown end, I don't feel that is the root of the hysteria. The root of it being something along the lines of an excuse, not a tool for control. I mean if I was in a group of some sort of ruling class I would tell everyone that yes it is going to happen and yes we have spaceships, but you only get on if you do what we say. I really don't believe that it has anything to do with TPTB.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   

You are so right.

We should live our lives because we cannot control things.

And we should not worry.

We should try to be happy right here right now.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

Thanks for the agreement, life is way too short to worry about what can't be changed when their are so many things that can.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Yes, there are so many things that can be changed.

If every rich person sponsored a child.

If the rich countries helped the poor countries.

The world could be a balanced place, if enough people cared about the world and the people here on the planet.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   

ummm...i would not put the manipulation by fear passed the elites because we are susceptible to almost any kind of manipulation there is!
especailly any kind that involves causing fear because they are preying on are animal nature of survival instincts.
ANYTHING WE FEAR they will push it to the limit so to speak!
yeah some people may use it as an excuse to be complacent but thats because they fear it..you dont fear it so you think people are using it as an excuse when it can be clearly used as a control mechanism.
why do most kids fear their parents authority??
fear of punishment, fear of the not knowing what will happen, they cant see life without them!
We look at the government the same way are kids look at us...ya get my drift.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by BroketheWall

I'm not arguing necessarily against the power of fear as a manipulative tool, but this can be used by a lot more than just some vague "they". It is used quite often by thirteen year old's to hold onto a "significant other" they threaten something like "If you leave me I'll cut myself" fear is a very, very powerful tool in manipulative purposes.

I'm simply saying that I highly doubt that the cause of the 2012 hysteria is a dark and insidious "They", I simply feel that it is an unknown and that is why people buy into it, I think that your trying to argue that it was created by "TPTB" to control the masses. Whereas my whole post was simply saying that regular hysteria and fear is unnecessary and detrimental to a real change, or something that we can worry about in a hands on manner.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
my thread

this is why

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
No reason to worry. the 2012 thing is all a lot of hype based on nonsense. The Mayan calendar does not even end in 2012. it simply turns the page.

The Mayan long count calendar, which is the one people refer to when talking about the prophecy nonsense, goes into Ba'ka'tun (or Baktun)13 in that year, but there are Myan inscriptions talking about Baktun 20 so clearly it does not end there. Each Baktun is 144,000 days so we still have many many years to come according to the Mayan long count calendar. Nowhere do the Mayans claim that there will be any sort of destruction in 2012.

The whole concept behind the doom and gloom of 2012 is based on misrepresentation of the facts, and sheer hooey. People claim that we are going to pass through the Galactic plane, which is incorrect as we did that millions of years ago and wont pass through again it for several more million years. We are above the galactic plane at the moment and moving farther up each year.

Some people just want to believe in doom and gloom so badly that they will latch on to all sorts of nonsense. It tells you a lot more about the individual than anything else. I plan on having a party to celebrate the "end of the world" in 2012.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin
No reason to worry. the 2012 thing is all a lot of hype based on nonsense. The Mayan calendar does not even end in 2012. it simply turns the page.

The Mayan long count calendar, which is the one people refer to when talking about the prophecy nonsense, goes into Ba'ka'tun (or Baktun)13 in that year, but there are Myan inscriptions talking about Baktun 20 so clearly it does not end there. Each Baktun is 144,000 days so we still have many many years to come according to the Mayan long count calendar. Nowhere do the Mayans claim that there will be any sort of destruction in 2012.

The whole concept behind the doom and gloom of 2012 is based on misrepresentation of the facts, and sheer hooey. People claim that we are going to pass through the Galactic plane, which is incorrect as we did that millions of years ago and wont pass through again it for several more million years. We are above the galactic plane at the moment and moving farther up each year.

Some people just want to believe in doom and gloom so badly that they will latch on to all sorts of nonsense. It tells you a lot more about the individual than anything else. I plan on having a party to celebrate the "end of the world" in 2012.

I've been secretly hoping that a rich fellow would come up to me on Dec. 20th and give me the keys to his shiny new 2012 camaro, you know since the world is gonna end the next day and all

That's entirely what I'm saying, calenders end every single day people just can't seem to get around the fact that just because a calender end's, albeit a long count, doesn't mean that, well hey maybe they just got tired of counting them out. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who find's all this ridiculous I was starting to feel stupid

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
2012 is actually th end of a cosmic cycle where our solarsystem goes back through the edge of the Milky Way, and will make a large 28,000 curve or arc above and back into the galaxy...kinda like a warped, wavy vinyl record.

I have 2 years to find the next "dooms day" and write a book or two, publish them, and make lots of money when nothing happens and everyone asks...What's next?

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

I would say your best bet is just to find some point 80 year's down the road and forge some ancient looking documents saying why it's gonna happen. Best of luck to you

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
2012 is actually th end of a cosmic cycle where our solarsystem goes back through the edge of the Milky Way, and will make a large 28,000 curve or arc above and back into the galaxy...kinda like a warped, wavy vinyl record.

Incorrect. We are well past the mid point and moving upwards and away from the center plane. See above post.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
December 21, 2012 is just a day, just like any other day.

If you want to stress over it, plan to be able to make a big purchase that day, plan to buy a house or a NEW car on that day, or move to anotehr location 2000 miles from your current location. Plan a week vacation to somewhere you have wanted to see. Two years will give you time to save up the $$ for it. Plan to be Married on that day!!

Good grief, why stress over just another day in the life... ???

Smile have fun.. and LIVE YOUR LIFE!!!!!

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I have to agree. Why worry? Life is too short as it is, and we need to live each day like it is our last. Make life count...spend time with family, friends, do something good for our neighbors, do something to better ourselves, etc.

It really would not surprise me that when we all wake up on the morning of 12/22/2012 that we will read the paper, or wherever we all get our news from, and look for the next doomsday prediction to be passed around. That's the way this has worked with each and every doomsday prediction to date.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join