Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

400,000 year old German 7 ft long spears!

page: 2
73
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by BeastMaster2012
 


It most likely wasdn't Carbon-14 dating if the ageas 400,000 years. Carbon dating is only good for a range of up to 50,000 years ago. More likely would be fission track dating or rubidium-strontium dating or possiblythe potassium-argon method. For a good overview of how to date organic materials and fossils, look at snakefly.tripod.com...




posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky
 


if going with the second theory that you presented, i think that some early human ate some Psilocybin mushrooms or some other psycoactive substance that completely changed their perspective of the world. but i dont know. just speculation



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey
 


I wondered that too and thought about the 10,000 bones bit. They said that they found these spears and bones 10 meters down (30 feet) below the surface. I thought at first they were drilling and the spears and bones were sucked up a tube like thing and found that way but i guess they somehow dug them out instead.

I think the interesting question when they said 10,000 bones was that from like 10 animals or a couple of thousand or what?

Finding human remains would be amazing, but if they really didn't find any humans maybe that tells you something about the site.

Maybe this was a huge animal graveyard that the humans used. Maybe they were hunting and killing so much that they had a huge plot of land just to put the carcasses and did not feel humans had the right to lay there.

Maybe they were burying their dead 400,000 years ago with the hunters favorite spear or tools. Very cool stuff to think about!



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by zosimos
 


good lord that would be awesome if shrooms or marijuana had a pro founding effect on humans to make them do things that they never would have done.. haha awesome.



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Thought that this should be pointed out from the article.


The hunters, called archaic Homo sapiens archaic Homo sapiens
Relating to or being an early form or subspecies of Homo sapiens, anatomically distinct from modern humans. Neanderthals in Europe and Solo man in Asia are usually classed as archaic humans. or Homo heidelbergensis, were distant ancestors of Neanderthals. They hunted in a cool climate like that of central Norway today. They sought game in a landscape of large meadows with spruce and birch trees.


This goes along with the concept that the development of humanity was a result of numerous migrations in and out of Africa.



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte
 


Not exactly Harte,

'Experts' have maintained that hunting big game with sophisticated tools didn't begin until only 40,000 years ago...1000% wrong.



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4nsicphd
reply to post by BeastMaster2012
 


It most likely wasdn't Carbon-14 dating if the ageas 400,000 years. Carbon dating is only good for a range of up to 50,000 years ago. More likely would be fission track dating or rubidium-strontium dating or possiblythe potassium-argon method. For a good overview of how to date organic materials and fossils, look at snakefly.tripod.com...



Thanks for the link, but it's broken. You have to remove the period . at the end of the link.

I actually have a fossil i found in nova scotia that i want dated! It has some kind of leaf and other things in it.



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
reply to post by Harte
 


Not exactly Harte,

'Experts' have maintained that hunting big game with sophisticated tools didn't begin until only 40,000 years ago...1000% wrong.


Yes, exactly:


Cultural innovations by H. erectus:
stone tools clearly made in specific forms
the prototypical H. erectus tool is the Acheulian handaxe
but some H. erectus populations, especially the Asian ones, did not make these
definite evidence of "systematic" hunting of large game
wooden spears


Source (One of several thousand)

Harte



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by BeastMaster2012
 


I for one have started to believe much of what we have been told is BULL.

I.E. Columbus discovered america. (LIE)

So what we have to admit to is, the old system is emergent as we grow and learn. Nothing is set in stone, maybe all the stories of the Earth being populated by man MANY times over after its been wiped out are true.

Maybe we have family in space. Maybe they come through and help us out now and then.

The Hopi taught that people from Venus came and took many of us away the last time the earth was wiped out. Then brought the people back to watch and guard the land. Maybe this is true, perhaps we are really not alone and when things get bad they come take some of us away and bring us back when its safe to start over.


I dunno, what I do know is this.

"This has all happened before and it will happen again and again and again and again........ .... ... .."

[edit on 7-4-2010 by Loki Lyesmyth]



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I have a big twist on this 400,000 year old spear since the article is from before year 2005 AND the origin of the spear is in Germany.

Check out this article: History of modern man unravels as German scholar is exposed as fraud




It appeared to be one of archaeology's most sensational finds. The skull fragment discovered in a peat bog near Hamburg was more than 36,000 years old - and was the vital missing link between modern humans and Neanderthals. This, at least, is what Professor Reiner Protsch von Zieten - a distinguished, cigar-smoking German anthropologist - told his scientific colleagues, to global acclaim, after being invited to date the extremely rare skull. However, the professor's 30-year-old academic career has now ended in disgrace after the revelation that he systematically falsified the dates on this and numerous other "stone age" relics. Yesterday his university in Frankfurt announced the professor had been forced to retire because of numerous "falsehoods and manipulations". According to experts, his deceptions may mean an entire tranche of the history of man's development will have to be rewritten.


While the O.P. is very exciting, I have to wonder whether this guy was responsible for dating the spear. Before his lies were exposed in 2005 he must have been working in the field for years. Even if Professor Reiner Protsch von Zieten was not responsible for dating the spear, the fact that someone so reputable is capable of fraud and perpetrating a lie within the scientific community makes me question just about anything that comes out of there. Food for thought.



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
So it's not just a stick?



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
if god wanted us to discover ancient spears, he would hide them in strip clubs not coal mines.

that's what i think.



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SecretGoldfish
if god wanted us to discover ancient spears, he would hide them in strip clubs not coal mines.

that's what i think.


My ancient spear always accompanies me therein.

Harte



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Loki Lyesmyth
The Hopi taught that people from Venus came and took many of us away the last time the earth was wiped out. Then brought the people back to watch and guard the land.


Sorry, loki, but without you linking to a legitimate Hopi legend concerning Venus, I say that the above is nothing but bull crap.

Harte



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Loki Lyesmyth
The Hopi taught that people from Venus came and took many of us away the last time the earth was wiped out. Then brought the people back to watch and guard the land.




I've heard of the Dogon Tribe and Sirius... But not the Hopi and Venus.

Any links?


Edit: Harte beat me to it


[edit on 7/4/10 by blupblup]



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2manyquestions
I have a big twist on this 400,000 year old spear since the article is from before year 2005 AND the origin of the spear is in Germany.

Check out this article: History of modern man unravels as German scholar is exposed as fraud

While the O.P. is very exciting, I have to wonder whether this guy was responsible for dating the spear. Before his lies were exposed in 2005 he must have been working in the field for years. Even if Professor Reiner Protsch von Zieten was not responsible for dating the spear, the fact that someone so reputable is capable of fraud and perpetrating a lie within the scientific community makes me question just about anything that comes out of there. Food for thought.


I looked the guys name up and he appears to mainly have dealt with wrongly dating the dates of skulls and not these spears. I guess it is possible that he was involved but i doubt it.



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by BeastMaster2012
 

The cheapest method would be stratagraphic where the depth where it was found would indicate to a comprtent geologist, the age of the surrounding rock. Try the geology department at your nearest major university.



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
The second theory is called the Great Leap Forward or Upper Palaeolithic Revolution. This one contends that around 40,000 ya the human mind underwent a great change that resulted in the wave of cave art, complex societies and symbolic burials.


This is a topic that fascinates me personally. There is actually a pretty good book (not telling anybody to buy it or anything) that explores geomagnetic reversals and their contribution to evolutionary leaps, such as the one you mentioned.

Here is the general premise:


"According to Felix," the review begins, "you can forget Darwin's theory of slow, stately, orderly evolution. Rather, he believes that geomagnetic reversals over the course of history have triggered gigantic leaps, which occur according to a predictable, natural cycle...and the next cycle is due soon."

"At last, here's a probable explanation of those '"missing links," the review continues. "There aren't any."

"New species do not evolve slowly, but arise abruptly; new plants and animals seemingly appear from nowhere, with no intermediate life forms to explain their presence; and geologic records show that this happens immediately after extinctions and in conjunction with geomagnetic reversals time and again. Lowered magnetic field strength allows mutation-causing radiation to strike our planet."

"Now here's the clincher: Earth's magnetic field strength has declined by two-thirds over the past 2,000 years, and the rate of decline is increasing."


Link: www.evolutionaryleaps.com...

This is also the same researcher that feels we are entering into a new ice age and believes that global warming is simply a cycle that Earth undergoes periodically and calls human-made global warming a lie.



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Loki Lyesmyth
reply to post by BeastMaster2012
 


I for one have started to believe much of what we have been told is BULL.

I.E. Columbus discovered america. (LIE)

So what we have to admit to is, the old system is emergent as we grow and learn. Nothing is set in stone, maybe all the stories of the Earth being populated by man MANY times over after its been wiped out are true.

Maybe we have family in space. Maybe they come through and help us out now and then.

The Hopi taught that people from Venus came and took many of us away the last time the earth was wiped out. Then brought the people back to watch and guard the land. Maybe this is true, perhaps we are really not alone and when things get bad they come take some of us away and bring us back when its safe to start over.


I dunno, what I do know is this.

"This has all happened before and it will happen again and again and again and again........ .... ... .."

[edit on 7-4-2010 by Loki Lyesmyth]


I would love to read about this Hopi Venus connection, i have made a post about Venus you can read it here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The start of the Mayan calendar was 3114 bc and it was called the "birth of Venus" so isn't that interesting!



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Thank you very much for the post. I feel now I am exonerated frombeing told I was crazy. Well, on this point atleast.

When I was in my teens, I helped an old man work a "push mine", thats one with a very low top and we could only crawl around through the coal seam.

There were several places where we could see what really did appear to be human foot prints in the top of the mine channel. These would, of course, have been made by some one walking through the top layers of the material which was later compressed and became coal. I have no way of knowing when this would have happened but I am sure it was a long time ago.

I have often wished I had a camera with me and taken some pics but I was to busy working at the time.






top topics



 
73
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join


Help ATS Recover with your Donation.
read more: Help ATS Recover With Your Contribution